Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
VN 750 1994 RED/BLACK/SILVER
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to find the original interview on YouTube again, where David Vizard a famous engine tuner, tells the story of when he fell across the K & N organisation in California, in it's infancy and did some testing on a a huge box of K & N's, which were, sent to England, as they didn't have a flow bench.
He explains the then hypothesised, theories of how, they thought they worked electro-static attraction, later dismissed and how in the end they came across a plausible explanation, from a biological life science source, to do with the filters vibrating and catching dust particles, as cilia do in the lungs.

His research left him in no doubt about their higher volume air-flow and filtering efficiency. Often they can be fitted to standard machines with other bolt-on fixtures, exhaust systems e.t.c.
When tuning in stages for racing, more air equals more fuelling, providing any known bottlenecks, often the poppet valves themselves, head porting, can be addressed. Free-flowing exhausts, big carb's jetted right and maximum power can be achieved. An engine which breathes right, is an efficient engine. Economy then, just relates to how hard you twist the grip and the rpm through the gears.

Apparently, there is a strict cleaning regime with K & N's too, with special cleaner and oil application for long durability. Engine economy should improve also, over standard paper filters.

·
Registered
VN 750 1994 RED/BLACK/SILVER
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost on the point of getting some K& N's for my Daihatsu Terios 2, to see if I can get more mpg/4.55 Litres an "Imperial gallon, and a pair for the VN750 both around £75 and £85 respectively! Fuel here £1.52 a litre! £6:89 plus, a gallon, this will break the economy for sure if it carries on. Always feared what happened in 1920s, Weimar Republic, Germany, hyper-inflation, which ultimately lead to WW2!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I'd wager it's the filter oil catching most of the dirt, it's super sticky, a dab between your fingers will stretch out three inches or so.

I always used the filter oil, but for cleaning it was either soap/ hot water or gasoline.

On my motocross engines I cleaned and oiled before every outing, religiously. The cylinders always had plenty of scuff, so they do let dirt pass through.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Have had a couple of people tell me their fuel mileage on cars went up by switching to k&n, but never got to try it for myself.

Have to be careful not to use too much oil, it can foul up a MAF sensor pretty quick if the oil leaves the filter and collects on the sensor grid and wire.

On the subject of filtration, dirt track cars usually have a pre-filter covering the k&n.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Let's go Brandon! All the oil released from the reserves will add up to 2.4 days worth of gasoline after it's finally refined in 60 days.

He's sold more than that to "Aisia" over the past month or so, that's supposed to help pay for a fraction of the new spending. Let's go Brandon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Almost on the point of getting some K& N's for my Daihatsu Terios 2, to see if I can get more mpg/4.55 Litres an "Imperial gallon, and a pair for the VN750 both around £75 and £85 respectively! Fuel here £1.52 a litre! £6:89 plus, a gallon, this will break the economy for sure if it carries on. Always feared what happened in 1920s, Weimar Republic, Germany, hyper-inflation, which ultimately lead to WW2!
I glad we don't have your prices here. (Yet!) Makes me happy to pay $4.60 a gallon for premium when I am within 100 miles of 4 refineries. Good old Royal Dutch Shell is probably paying bonuses to management though. Many guys post bad things about K&N filters but I have them on all of my vehicles. I do think they help with mpg but mainly I like the fact that after one cash outlay, I never have to buy another. I certainly do not think they hurt how anything runs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts