Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there a how to e.g. "DON'T TAKE THAT BIT OFF YOU FOOL" so I can scrap the stock aircleaners and replace them with a pair of K&N's without breaking anything?

I checked the verses but got so confused a blonde woulda looked intelligent next to me :doh:

Cheers

·
Registered
721 Posts
if you are just replacing the stock parts with K&N filters, then you only need to remove them, and follow the K& N instructions... they bolt in with two bolts. If you are going to do an ear shave, then you will need to remove the air hoses and air belly under the fuel tank, re-jet, and maybe more.. I haven't done the ear shave yet, but I have K&N filters replacing the stock filters.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are just replacing the stock parts with K&N filters, then you only need to remove them, and follow the K& N instructions... they bolt in with two bolts. If you are going to do an ear shave, then you will need to remove the air hoses and air belly under the fuel tank, re-jet, and maybe more.. I haven't done the ear shave yet, but I have K&N filters replacing the stock filters.

Hope this helps you out.
What may I ask is an "Ear Shave" - I gotta be missing something. As it is though, I'll be ripping the stock filters right off and replacing them with K&N's - essentially a styling thing. Perhaps someone here could design a two into one system that would utilise an air cleaner off say a VN800 - certainly be a good look *shrug*

Cheers

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pretty new here myself Carl, but I think the ear shave means removing the existing air filter housings, and going with a smaller cone shaped (usually) filter that is tucked up under the bike.

Like 99 said, if you're just replacing the stock with the K&N, it's a simple and straightforward thing.

Wouldn't mind finding a way to go with a single intake myself. Looking at the K&N change out, and at 78 bucks a piece, that's kinda hard to sell to the wife. ;)

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I've never understood why people want to do the ear shave. I rather like the look of the VN750 air boxes. Maybe I'm unique in that respect, but that's my $.02 worth.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I'm doing the ear shave only because I can, stupid reason but I'm sticking to it. As far as what you are looking for, Carl, K&N does have a replacement kit that fits in the stock air boxes, or were you looking to replace the boxes with open element filters, or get rid of all the ductwork and put the filters right on the carbs? There are many ways to go and we have the answers to help you achieve your goal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm doing the ear shave only because I can, stupid reason but I'm sticking to it. As far as what you are looking for, Carl, K&N does have a replacement kit that fits in the stock air boxes, or were you looking to replace the boxes with open element filters, or get rid of all the ductwork and put the filters right on the carbs? There are many ways to go and we have the answers to help you achieve your goal.
Personally, I prefer the filters straight on the carbs - so pointers in that direction would be greatly appreciated.

The "ears" as I see them were a styling afterthought, but as it shows, it's a case of to each their own - some like them some don't I fit in the latter.

My main concern was any additional hoses/pipes that may need to be plugged etc - us in Oz it appears got the General Euro model if that makes any difference in regards to how the bike breathes.

I know I'll have to rejet mainly because I'm building an exhaust from scratch - whether I'll need to rejet because of the K&N's I'm not too sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as I know, there is no real need to re-jet for new exhaust. That is a myth as far as I know. There is, however usually a need for re-jetting for air intake changes.

--Buba

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty new here myself Carl, but I think the ear shave means removing the existing air filter housings, and going with a smaller cone shaped (usually) filter that is tucked up under the bike.

Like 99 said, if you're just replacing the stock with the K&N, it's a simple and straightforward thing.

Wouldn't mind finding a way to go with a single intake myself. Looking at the K&N change out, and at 78 bucks a piece, that's kinda hard to sell to the wife. ;)

Hard to sell to the wife? Mine knows that when the subject of the bike comes up in general conversation, I'm either after money or after money, either way I usually spend the better part of the evening hiding in the workshop - and I thought she'd be happy after I sold off the bottomless pit lowrider all those years ago ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as I know, there is no real need to re-jet for new exhaust. That is a myth as far as I know. There is, however usually a need for re-jetting for air intake changes.

--Buba

Interesting Buba - the fella at the store I'm getting the slash cuts from recommended rejetting

More to contemplate *groan*

Cheers

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Personally, I prefer the filters straight on the carbs
What you are looking for is the Ear Shave, Not too difficult except for getting the surge tank out from over the motor. Two choises there, pull the motor out or cut it to pieces. I opted for the first one. Then the carbs need to be rejetted, and hoses dealt with. I'm still working on that part as the engine isn't back in yet. There is plenty of info in the Vulcan Verses about the procedure, it just takes a search to find it. These bikes run lean to begin with so almost any change in intake or exhaust means at least a mixture adjustment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
where do you find the K&N kits for our bikes? i cant find em for the life of me

and as for modifying intakes, i have an idea for a slight i gues you could say "ram air" setup.

simply by cutting out those "fins" on the outside fronts of each air cleaner, and making a scoop that goes over them

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
where do you find the K&N kits for our bikes? i cant find em for the life of me

and as for modifying intakes, i have an idea for a slight i gues you could say "ram air" setup.

simply by cutting out those "fins" on the outside fronts of each air cleaner, and making a scoop that goes over them

I would be very interested in something like that, Would love to see a pic if you ever get a chance to try it!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would be very interested in something like that, Would love to see a pic if you ever get a chance to try it!!
shall do

once i get the in geniality to actually do!! ha ha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts