Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well while checking things out on my (new to me) bike I went to check and probably clean the air filters, and on taking the covers off I discovered that the PO had put K&Ns on her...
I always liked the originals as they were easy to clean, but I don't know crap about these K&Ns, do they give a more free air flow, how do you clean them, or do you have to replace them...???
They are a charcoal color not just tan, is that dirt, do I need to blow them out, clean with gasoline, kerosene, oil them after cleaning, or what do I do with them...???
If they have an advantage over the originals I would like to keep them, if not I may go back to the original stock air filters...
Sorry to ask so much, but I am a dummy on the K&Ns for sure...
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
When they are clean they usually have a reddish color. Pick yourself up a K&N recharge kit at your local auto parts store. It will last you forever. You use the cleaner spray to clean them and then let them dry. Then a light spray of the red K&N oil that comes with the kit, paper towel to wipe off any excess and put them back on. They last forever. Never need replacing. They don't really give you any better air flow, but they do last so you never need to buy another air filter for it. They're easy to clean and take care of. They cost about 80 bucks for a set, so they're pretty expensive, but I like em!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
KEEP THOSE AIR FILTERS! They are easy to clean and you will never have to buy air filters again......Stock filter have to be replaced every 15K miles or after 5 cleanings. I just bought a set for my bike. They run anywhere from $75-100 for the set depending on who you get them from. The benefit of the K&N air filters is that they trap most dirt and junk, keeping it from entering the air intake system. Also they allow more air flow. You can pick up a filter recharge kit from most auto parts store or Wal-Mart for around $12 that contains 12oz bottle of filter cleaner and a 6.5oz spray can of filter oil.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
IMO, K&N filters do let more air in, but don't filter as well as the stock filters.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO, K&N filters do let more air in, but don't filter as well as the stock filters.
Yeah, that would be my thoughts, same ole, same ole, you can't have your cake and eat it too...lol...
I just didn't find anything wrong with the OEM filters...
BTW-My 20 yr. old 24 hp Onan engine on my 60" Wheel Horse Zero turn mower has run under probably 20 times as dusty conditions as my bike, it has the same type as the Kawi. OEMs and all I have ever done was clean the foam with gas and re-oil and smear grease on the insides of the filter box... Reckon I should get a new filter...???...lol...
I will get one of those recharge kits though and clean & lube the K&Ns on the bike...
Thanks Folks...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I did have a K&N on my old dual sport bike. You could just use regular dish soap to clean and any air filter element oil and probably save a few $$'s over K&N specific stuff.
But... that will void their million mile warranty, which, you probably don't have the sales receipt to cover anyhow.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Vulcan Verses said:
A: Not any cheaper but arguably a better product that will probably last the life of your bike. You can replace them with K&N Filter #1594. They come two to a box so don't make the mistake of buying two thinking they are only one to a box. don't just shove them into the airbox. You really need to sand or dremel ~1/16" off the apex of the top. You'll see when you buy them. If you just force them into the airbox, you will distort the inner mount and the cover will not fit properly... jm

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The K&N 1594 is for the vn1500 and they can be modified to fit the vn750, but it is easier to buy the ones for the vn750. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Part # is KA-7586 for the 750. Bought mine on motorcyclesuperstore.com for $72.99

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Folks... Went to O'reilys and picked up the re-charge kit and cleaned and lubed as per instructions... There was really no need yet, but I didn't know exactly the clean or dirty color as they looked the same after cleaning... At least I know when they were cleaned now...lol...
Also I am sure now that I would just stick with the O.E.M. filters if it were up to me to buy the K&Ns, especially for a street bike, they might be good for a dirt bike or one that is rode on gravel or unpaved roads a good bit of the time...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts