Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks --

For those of you who have K&N air filters: the stock filters are $22 a piece = $44 for the pair.

QUESTIONS?
Does the $82 K&N price get you ONE or TWO filters?

Are they worth the extra$? :confused:

Thanx in advance!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
IMO, the extra $$'s for the K&N isn't worth it.
I haven't ran them on the Vulcan, but have on my dirtbike, and there was no noticable difference or gain in performance, but there was a bigger hole in my wallet.

If you're racing or running drag races, every little bit helps, but for the regular rider, that little bit is too little.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
2 filters in a kit. K&N's will last forever, factory won't. :beerchug:

·
Registered
707 Posts
if yu get the k&n's you may need to rejet... more airflow means you need more fuel to keep the same fuel/air ratio if you get an aftermarket set of pipes you probably should rejet.... maybe gain around 3-6 hp

·
Registered
802 Posts
The only advantage K&N will have with a stock set up, is you can clean them up and reinstall them. Since it's not a direct flow into the carbs, the air is going to get restricted anyway. The key on both stock and the K&N is keeping the prefilter cleaned and oiled.

·
Registered
707 Posts
geeze... thanks for that scoot... i wasnt thinking... you might get some more airflow but because i wasnt thinking he is right...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The only advantage K&N will have with a stock set up, is you can clean them up and reinstall them. Since it's not a direct flow into the carbs, the air is going to get restricted anyway. The key on both stock and the K&N is keeping the prefilter cleaned and oiled.
If you are refering to the foam as a pre-filter, does that imply that there is another filter?? :confused: I have not seen or read anything elsewhere about this. I was given to understand that the oiled foam in the "ears" was the filter.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great, now you got me thinking OlHoss. And it hurts.

Guess I'll have to look when I get home. But I seem to remember the foam going over a paper filter on mine.

And thinking more, you may be right.

Ahhh! I need Tylenol!!!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
My stock filters have oiled foam "covers" (prefilters) that slide over plastic "screened basket" looking filters. These give the foam the sturdy body to mount and keep them in shape.

These plastic things don't look like much, certainly useless if used alone, but I can see how they would be termed a "filter".

If you look up a parts diagram you can probably see what I'm talking about.

And I have no idea what the K/N filters are like because I've never seen them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
After looking at the diagram, I see I'm probably wrong. Nice to not have the wife point that out for a change. ;)

Probably thinking (therein lies the problem) about the set up for my atv's.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Here's a pic-

13091 is Element holder (what I described above as filter/basket)

11013 is Filter element (oiled foam cover)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
There are no pre filters, only the air filter element and the element holder. :beerchug:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
if yu get the k&n's you may need to rejet... more airflow means you need more fuel to keep the same fuel/air ratio if you get an aftermarket set of pipes you probably should rejet.... maybe gain around 3-6 hp
You will not have to rejet unless you do an earshave. :beerchug:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You will not have to rejet unless you do an earshave. :beerchug:
My thanx to everyone for your responses. LOT's of good info! It's good to know you get 2 filters for $82 instead of only one! :)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
My thanx to everyone for your responses. LOT's of good info! It's good to know you get 2 filters for $82 instead of only one! :)

Have you checked your PM's? :rockon:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Yes Doug! I realized I was typing as you were posting, Thanks for the diagram. :smiley_th

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you checked your PM's? :rockon:
Thanx for the 'heads-up' about PMs. :smiley_th I'm still getting used to this forum! :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I got mine last night (K&N) and I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality. I got them off of ebay, new, and paid around 68 with shipping. I figured 44 plus shipping for the foam ones, that will eventually dissolve like the original ones did, or pay about 20 more for the really good, long lasting ones. Was a no brainer for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts