Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For giving me this bike and giving me some great weather. Saturday is supposed to be in the 70's here in SC. Took the day off and rode to a Christmas lunch across town. This bike loves winter. I hate to see the warm weather return!

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
54° right now, warmer every day going up to 67° Sunday. I plan to ride every day it's dry.

Be careful, nimrods aren't used to seeing bikes on the road, they'll flat run over you for a Christmas package.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Not sure if he meant "a lot better".

All engines generally run "better" in cooler weather. The air is denser, so there's more oxygen present per volume...
Melissa used to love it at about 40

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
54° right now, warmer every day going up to 67° Sunday. I plan to ride every day it's dry.

Be careful, nimrods aren't used to seeing bikes on the road, they'll flat run over you for a Christmas package.
Lol.bicycles either.i will post on that later.lets just say i feel like I've been run over by a mack truck today

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,732 Posts
I know my bike loves the cool autumn air!

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I know my bike loves the cool autumn air!
Any drag racer will tell you, there is no seat of the pants (visceral) feeling in a 20* drop in temperature with a perfectly tuned vehicle. Vehicle's tuned on the 'rich plateau' will gain an easily felt difference. There is a difference when close tuned, but not tenths of a sec.

Ask any successful bracket racer. Their dial in changes a little, but not much.

Slowbox, are you here?

·
Super Moderator
11,931 Posts
Any drag racer will tell you, there is no seat of the pants (visceral) feeling in a 20* drop in temperature with a perfectly tuned vehicle. Vehicle's tuned on the 'rich plateau' will gain an easily felt difference. There is a difference when close tuned, but not tenths of a sec.

Ask any successful bracket racer. Their dial in changes a little, but not much.

Well we aren't talkng about painstakingly tuned drag racers...we are talking about an inexpensive outdated Japsnese motorcycle. And the difference here is more like 40 degrees, not 20. Comparing 80 degree summer to upper 30 to low 40's winter.
And basic physics tells me I'd have a easier time "feeling" a one horsepower increase in a 500 pound vehicle compared to a 1 HP increase in a 3,000 pound drag car.
So, when several folks, along with me, say their bike seems to run "better" in colder air.....I believe them.;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you want to get all technical and have a circle jerk..... These are carburated engines. HUUUUMMM. Air/fuel mixture is set to perform best at what engine temperature verses air temp/density verses preset fuel/air mixture? Best I can recall fuel/air setting stays set year around to one setting so at some time and place the air temp/density is gonna be just right for the fuel setting,,, Yep I can believe it too Knife.

Guess I would open a new can of worms if I was to bring up the fact that the cooler temps bring a cooler over all internal engine components temperature so the piston is ever so slightly looser in the sleeve and rod bearings are ever so slightly looser on the crank reducing power robbing friction resulting in a slight increase of torque/hp...... any shade tree mechanic knows this,,,, ask them:blah::blah::blah::blah:

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
If you want to get all technical and have a circle jerk..... These are carburated engines. HUUUUMMM. Air/fuel mixture is set to perform best at what engine temperature verses air temp/density verses preset fuel/air mixture? Best I can recall fuel/air setting stays set year around to one setting so at some time and place the air temp/density is gonna be just right for the fuel setting,,, Yep I can believe it too Knife.

Guess I would open a new can of worms if I was to bring up the fact that the cooler temps bring a cooler over all internal engine components temperature so the piston is ever so slightly looser in the sleeve and rod bearings are ever so slightly looser on the crank reducing power robbing friction resulting in a slight increase of torque/hp...... any shade tree mechanic knows this,,,, ask them:blah::blah::blah::blah:
I have left ALL comments alone on here, as i have not a cliue......
BUT, the mentioned comments make 200 % sense to me.

:smiley_th

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I will stay where I am. If you talk about making sense, ok-

If you do the majority of your riding at 65+*, but your motorcycle runs best @ 40*, you are welcome to your world.

I certainly do not care if you machinate your way is correct. I rather enjoy it.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's not just a little better, it's rocket ship better. I was coming home last night around 9pm and it was prolly high 40's, the speed at which I accelerated when I really decided to open it up full out, was terrifying. Back when I first got the bike and before synching and sea foaming and such, I opened it up after a Harley and gas came spewing out of the rear carb. Since then, while I have goosed it pretty good, I haven't said, eph it and REALLY cranked it to like 6K RPM. All I can say is WOW, Ninja racing speed. like turn a corner and to 60mph in two seconds. Did NOT think these bikes were that fast.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
I will stay where I am. If you talk about making sense, ok-

If you do the majority of your riding at 65+*, but your motorcycle runs best @ 40*, you are welcome to your world.

I certainly do not care if you machinate your way is correct. I rather enjoy it.
You could always rejet for temp changes;)

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Take'er up to 10 grand and give her a listen. Mine seems snappier in this weather too. But haven't been riding as much either.

One theory.. Cold air will expand more than hot when combustion happens. Same with cold fuel. Ding-Ding.. round 9!

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the stock jets so maybe I just need to close up the air another half turn in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
11,931 Posts
Well if its "rocket ship better" there's something wrong. Or your bike just suddenly started to work right after the SeaFoam and all.

Bad part here is they sell a slightly different formula gasoline in the winter which actually provides less energy than summer gas. So it would seem to be a wash really....but my tank has summer gas in it;)

It's not a plot wm....it's physics.
(Don't they compensate for altitude on dyno's and 1/4 mile times? That's a factor of air density isn't it?)

But I don't care...glad you're enjoying it. :)

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
need to close up the air another half turn in the summer.
If you are talking about the pilot mixture screws, they have little to do with this. I demand 'good manners' and have mine a hair rich at 2 turns. That is preference.

There is a relatively easy procedure to check the fuel level on the bike. It would be hard to overstate the importance of fuel level when the jets are in the 'ceiling' of the fuel bowl.

Once again, if you can tell and not imagine a large difference from cold weather you are probably rich. There should be a difference, but not a large difference. Portable weather stations and pass log books have been common with drag racers nearly forever.

There is no accounting perception. Many racer have known they tore up the known world only to find the timeslip shows a slower run. The quickest run is typically the smoothest. Without the leaps/lunges, a vehicle feels slower.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts