Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.has anyone thought about using vn800 swing arm to build hardtail for these bikes?2.is anyone using the kawasaki 600 eliminator spoke wheels.im told they are direct bolt ins? Plus I just happen to like spokes. Thanx

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plus the more I look at the vn800 swing arm,I think it can be made to work as an actual hardtail.just wish I had a junk 750 to try it out.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Plus the more I look at the vn800 swing arm,I think it can be made to work as an actual hardtail.just wish I had a junk 750 to try it out.
Do you have a running vn750 to take measurements from?the splines on the front of the driveshaft are probably different and you would have to check the width of the front of the swingman and the size of the pivot bolt.not sure on the eliminator but do remember it mentioned in a post here before about converting to spokes but haven't seen it done

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine isn't running right now. I think it was another website that had factory specs on both bikes for the drive shaft and final drive and they were the exact same but I don't know for sure without having both in front of me.19 front and 16 rear spokes would look pretty good on these bikes.imo

·
Registered
856 Posts
Isn't the vn800 chain driven?
With the VN750 being shaft driven and the drive shaft running through he swing arm, I don't see how there is any possibility of making this work without a LOT of welding and fabrication. IMHO, not worth it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is somebody in the uk?thats been making hardtail on shaft driven bikes for years.their hardtail goes on the outside of the drive shaft and final drive.plus they have extended the drive shaft.they build the hardtail on the original frame.ive welded a harly bolt on hardtail to a cb750 b4.the ones out of the uk look like they had to have the rear axle lengthened.i was just thinking I might try it myself at income tax time if I can find a junk vn750 and the 800 swing arms are certainly cheap enough.so why not

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
As the owner of both a ZL600B Eliminator and a VN750 Vulcan I can tell you that from looking at the wheels and my previous research they do seem to be swappable. Although I have NOT yet pulled the wheels off and swapped them to be 100% sure. My interest wasn’t in putting spoked wheels on VN750, rather in putting a cheap used VN750 tubeless rim on the Eliminator.

The 1996/97 600 Eliminator’s wheels are spoked, chrome and require tubes in them. There’s always the dread in the back of your mind when riding with tube type tires of getting a nail and a flat. With tubeless you can pretty much plug and go home. With tubes there is a lot more involved with getting back on the road.

You should also note that the front wheel on the 600 Eliminator is 18” and has only one brake rotor. The VN750 is 19” and has two disk brakes.

The rear wheel swap is probably do-able, you might need some spacers on the axle. The tire sizes are the same and many of the rear brake components share the same part numbers according the Kawasaki parts websites.

Ride safe, -Sloppy

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
As an idiot I thought a hard tail had no swing arm thus the name 'hard tail'. Rear tire bolts directly to the frame.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
that's what I always thought.. and if that's the case, replace the shocks on the stock swing arm with steel rods... same thing as a welded up swing arm

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 800 swing arm is just designed to look like a hardtail.it uses a mono shock for suspension.u should b able to modify the swing arm to fit and weld it solid as to b an actual hardtail.i know u can just remove the shocks and use struts,but to me that's not a hardtail.it just acts like a hardtail.im not downing anybody for doing what they want to their bikes.some people like struts some don't.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Some hardtail shaft drives use the swingarm as part of the hardtail

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I've seen a few done like that before.i just figured it mite be a little easier to use the 800 swing arm since most of the hardtail shape is there.it would save some fabrication time

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sorry, I guess I'm still a little confused as to what you are thinking of attempting.

My understanding, is that you want to take the swing arm from a Vulcan VN800, and put it onto a a Vulcan 750.

Even IF the swing arm mounts to the frame, how are you going to mount the VN750 final drive to the vn800 swing arm?

As is my understanding, all of the VN800s were chain driven, therefor leaving no place to mount the VN750 final drive, let alone mounting and aligning whichever wheel you decide to go with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well on the 750 swing arm there is only one tab that bolts to the final drive.the only other place that holds the drive shaft to the swing arm is the crossover at the pivot and it is on drive shaft cover.so if u don't use the cover the final drive is only held by the one tab on the swing arm and the axle.u could cut the pivot in to on the 800,place the left half on the outside of the final,weld a tab to bolt to the final.the right side half goes basically just the outside.u may need to have a longer axle bolt made.run the bottom tube of the swing arm to the bottom engine cradle tubes and the tops wouldn't b too hard to fab.i know without having it all in front of me it could b a whole lotta headaches.but nothing ventured nothing gained right.as I've stated before I've fabed a harly bolt on to fit a cb750 and it wasn't too bad.and I know this is a whole different ball of wax.but it still should be close.thanks for listening to all my ramblings I've been researching and thinking and thinking some more on this.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
You also need to seal the splines and the shaft.if the splines on the final drive run dry...well...you no go nowhere no mo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isn't there already a seal on the tranny side of the drive shaft and a seal on the final? Because the drive shaft cover doesn't keep grease in.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Take one apart(I have taken apart three).the driveshaft cover DOES seal in the grease and is needed or the shaft will run dry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts