Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

haven't posted in months... justice (91 vn750) has been in storage in a shed (with a fried stator, unfortunately) over the winter. plan to order a new stator in the next week or so and attempt the installation. just wanted to check in and say hi. weather was amazing in boston yesterday and i saw a bunch of riders out on the roads... really made me want to get my bike going (although i guess the weather is supposed to turn again in a few days).

hope everyone is doing well.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt with the stator replacement, feel free to ask away!!

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Stator job's what I'm finally starting myself.
But I'm taking it a step further and making a left side removable frame section, like the right side is.

There was a guy at the Y! site that did this, and managed to do it without having to pull the motor! :rockon:
That's what I'm hoping for.
Another guy here did it too, but he's doing some other stuff to the bike also, so he pulled the motor.

Got a scrap frame from ebay, so I'll have OEM pieces from the right side section to use on the modded left side :smiley_th

Best of luck to ya with your stator job :beerchug:

Oh yeah, here in Western PA, it's gettin' a good bit colder out now. So it's on it way to ya !!

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stator job's what I'm finally starting myself.
But I'm taking it a step further and making a left side removable frame section, like the right side is.

There was a guy at the Y! site that did this, and managed to do it without having to pull the motor! :rockon:
whoa! didn't know this was possible. i couldn't find that thread over there after a few searches... do you remember the thread subject? very interesting idea. i'd love to avoid the hassle of pulling/tilting the engine. as it is, i'm very seriously considering the toc engine cover.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
HERE is a link to the thread.
And HERE is a link to a couple pics he put in the photo album there.

It seems like an easy enough thing to do (with the right equipment).
I don't want to recommend doing this (but it would make things easier!) cause it is quite a drastic mod, but if done properly, and with possibly adding some additional support around the bolt together sections, I think it should be just as good as stock.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Not to dump on the frame mod in any way, but the TOC mod is certainly a good quality way to go.
Welcome back GR, it's good to hear from you again. Good luck on your stator replacement and hope you're riding soon.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Not to dump on the frame mod in any way, but the TOC mod is certainly a good quality way to go.
Welcome back GR, it's good to hear from you again. Good luck on your stator replacement and hope you're riding soon.
Fergy I agree that the TOC mod is a good one. I personally think it is too expensive, but others will not.

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Fergy I agree that the TOC mod is a good one. I personally think it is too expensive, but others will not.

Jon
That's the biggest reason why I decided to go the way of the frame mod.
Now, if it came with a reliable replacement stator, I might consider spending that many $$$'s, but the money I save doing the cut & paste can get some other stuff done to the bike !

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I agree about the expense of the TOC. That's a load to spend. I don't know much about the frame mod, and it's long term effects or cost, and what skill level someone would have to be at to do the frame mod.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I agree about the expense of the TOC. That's a load to spend. I don't know much about the frame mod, and it's long term effects or cost, and what skill level someone would have to be at to do the frame mod.
I certainly wouldn't suggest that someone with little or no welding skills try the frame mod. And if you find a weld shop that will do it, it'd probably be about the same cost as the TOC cover.

Some FYI for everyone on TOC costs....
With the TOC stator cover, if you don't send them your stator cover, the price is $650. $450 if ya do send them yours. (both + shipping?)
A stock cover from Ron Ayers is $110, so I'm not sure why TOC charges $200.

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great to see all the familiar names.

hyper, thanks for the links to the frame mod thread at yahoo. i do have access to a welder, but i don't think i'd feel comfortable taking on the procedure. as much as i hate shelling out so much for the toc cover, that's probably the way i'm going to go. i'd been contemplating selling the bike after i installed the new stator, but with a quick removal engine plate, i'd be more likely to keep it.

really can't wait to ride again. i'll keep you all posted on my progress.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
quick question... what's the replacement stator of choice? electrosport? haven't been checking in... how's the frankenstator coming?
I got mine from Rick's and was very happy with what I saw in the construction. Too early to tell reliability as I only have a few 100 miles on it.

But can safely say its made much better than the OEM stator.

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I got mine from Rick's and was very happy with what I saw in the construction. Too early to tell reliability as I only have a few 100 miles on it.

But can safely say its made much better than the OEM stator.

Jon
That's what I'm going with too.
Seems more than a couple people had some issues with the Electro's.
You can check out Rick's site HERE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts