Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
cool, I just ordered a set of chrome hand switches, and getting ready to order a new master cylinder and clutch lever perch, and new bars.... as soon as I sell more parts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Interested in how well your Michelin's handle and how long they last. I only use Michelin's on my cars. Recently installed Pirelli's on my 750 and I love em.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I actually think any high quality tire will work fine on a cruiser. I have Metzlers, but will probably try the Pirellis when they wear out. I think staying with the stock size is the most important thing as far as handling goes. I have never used anything but the stock size on any bike, even dirt bikes.

I have the V&H Cruzers that I recently ordered, beautiful pipes, can't wait till I get them on, but not looking forward to rejetting. Nows when I wish the Vulcan had a single side mounted carb, like the 800. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Jerry, don't you have access to the jet cover on both carbs without removing them? Seems like I read about this on here somewhere...or did I dream that?
No, you have access to the idle air/fuel mixture screws, but the jets are inside the carbs, and they have to be removed to change them. I have the jets Lance recommended, and that is what I am going to use. I have the pipes on now, they look and sound great. It's like a completely different bike. But I haven't ridden it that much, I'm waiting for next weekend to do the jets. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I know about the air mix screws, but I was thinking that someone said you could get to the jets cover on the bottom of the carbs without taking them off the bike. Like I said, I might have been dreaming... Sounds a lot like a dream now that I think about it, and yes, I do dream of my bike now and then. ;)

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have purchased that 'Michelin Commander tires' just before few days.Those are simply awesome.Each front Commander tire size is tailored to the unique handling characteristics of each bike by a combination of profile and casing designs.Rayon carcass ply instead of polyester for a compliant ride and stable handling..Please share your experience after using it..
Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I actually think any high quality tire will work fine on a cruiser. I have Metzlers, but will probably try the Pirellis when they wear out. I think staying with the stock size is the most important thing as far as handling goes. I have never used anything but the stock size on any bike, even dirt bikes.

I have the V&H Cruzers that I recently ordered, beautiful pipes, can't wait till I get them on, but not looking forward to rejetting. Nows when I wish the Vulcan had a single side mounted carb, like the 800. Jerry.

i just installed my V&H today and i didn't have to rejet, she runs actually better, better power band and pickup too :) i am so excited:beerchug:

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They're on, just rode the 7 miles home on a 2 lane State road. I noticed that it was very different switching lanes (I do this quickly and at 65mph,) felt more difficult as if I was stuck to the road. I really noticed the increased effort required to do this. Can't wait for further testing tomorrow. To the touch, they feel very grippy soft.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I removed the carbs, rejetted to what Lance recommended, cleaned the float bowls while I had them off, and replaced several of the Phillips screws with Allen screws. It runs fine, and a check of the new plugs 200+ miles later shows A/F mixture is fine.

About those tires, if you haven't already, make sure you have them inflated to the max pressure on the sidewalls. Many people underinflate their tires for a softer ride, definitely not a good idea on a street motorcycle. Jerry.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
They're on, just rode the 7 miles home on a 2 lane State road. I noticed that it was very different switching lanes (I do this quickly and at 65mph,) felt more difficult as if I was stuck to the road. I really noticed the increased effort required to do this. Can't wait for further testing tomorrow. To the touch, they feel very grippy soft.
I recall reading that new tires often feel a little "squirrelly" compared to the worn tires just removed. The deeper tread allows it to flex from side to side just enough to feel it when turning. I suppose this translates into more steering input to effect a change in direction. Sometimes racers will "shave" some of the tread off their new tires to eliminate this flexing in the corners.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
actually you need to ride carefully for about 40 to50 miles to make sure every thing seats and settles in on new tires,running through a couple of heating up and cooling down cycles during break in .Like Jerry said be sure they are properly inflated COLD. After you have ridden the pressure will increase. Check the air pressure before riding,and i have a feeling you will learn to like the extra grip.

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, I already am used to them. Feels completely normal/natural now. I'm going to wait for warmer weather here in NJ before I add the Ride-On-Tire sealant. That is, add it right before I take her on a nice long summer ride so as to better spread the sealant compound. At least that's what I think I should do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts