Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the damn coupling was frozen on the shaft until I saw the snap ring inside. Whew, was nervous for a minute. But then, couldnt get the drive shaft back on the primary drive spline. Pulled the boot back, glad I did because it was bone dry. The final drive spline still had plenty lube on it. Its not fun trying to get the drive shaft on the primary though.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Good for you L2. I still have that little item of maintenance to do myself, as soon as I can get around a little better.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I think Fergy's treatment procedure for spline lubing/maintenance is spot on, but....in truth...I think that lubrication for the rear splines is much more important than the front.

I have yet to see a front drive spline set fail--notice that when there's a failure...it's always the rear.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never done it and Ive had the bike 7 years so who knows if the other owner did. All the jibber jabber on here about it prompted me to take a look. Its a 1985 and I have 37K on this bike now. I bought it with 17K on it. L;ast time I took a look was when I had the driveshaft out 7 yrs ago for the stator change.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why you were removing the coupling from the drive shaft unless it was to replace it? Just must be missing something in the story. Yeah, that drive shaft is a bear to get back on the primary for most of us. Glad you got it all done though.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to check it. The manual show it removed so I thoght it just slid off. I thought maybe it needed lube on the other end. Even if I didnt want it too the spline fell off the primary when I pulled the final drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts