Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm gonna get my a$$ handed to me for this, but I have to say it.

This forum is full of threads with people struggling after making a modification to their machine. (I'm not talking about appearance items here) Turn this out, turn that in, remove this, add that, rejet, marble, coaster, fabricate this, rig that up, weld this, plug this in, unplug that... (ugh)

...then.... it won't run or runs like sh!t and everyone is so surprised.

I say some things are better left alone. Just keep it stock and use it as it was designed to be. This bike is just fine the way it is.

Okay - flame on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree with your statement to a point. Although stock may suit you (and myself up to a point), some people like to change things up. Like to be unique. The bike represents the rider. Although stock works for you, others may not like stock. Personally, the VN750 is a really nice bike. I've got mine pretty much stock (except I relocated the R/R because this made sense for the benefit of the bike).

Then there is the fact that some people buy a bike that isn't 100% perfect. Might have a rusted up exhaust/muffler. In this case, why not slap a V&H Cruiser on it and rejet.

Not flaming. Just saying that each individual has an idea of the ride they want and that is how they make their bike, their bike. So there is no right or wrong here. Its individualism.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I modded the crap of the 750 but so far haven't touched the mean streak. I plan on keeping the mean streak all stock until I need to do something to it but the way it is now, it doesn't need anything. Plus she's purdy, IMHO.

The VN750 was my first bike and like most things, I jumped in with both feet. I wanted to learn all I could about it and so got to wrenching just about as soon as I got it. Some people need to wrench, tinker, and play, some people don't. Some people put new exhaust on, change the air intake, then realize they have to rejet. Although unplanned this doesn't bother them, it intrigues them. Its just more tinkerin' and learning they get to do. The opposite is also true, "MAN, I should've just left it the -beeeep- alone!!!" No flame of course just to each there own. I'm starting the paint job on my practice tank soon and if all goes well, I'll be doing the 750 tins - we'll see!

Have you had some experiences recently that made you feel this way? Can we help with something?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I picked up my vn on a dare... It was a salvage bike that was not running, damaged and I never intended to restore to stock - not worth it, that's why it was totaled. So I've modded just to get her back on the road.

DT

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
I think sometimes folks bite off a bit more than they can chew...and run into problems. Other times the bike has a list of issues to start with, and they get ignored. Changing things to make them better is always a good thing.

To be honest here , I made alot of cosmetic mods to my bike, and this lead to alot of nice products that others ended up enjoying too...My lightbar, driver and passenger floorboards,rear turnsignal relocation bracket, the highway pegs bar, the invisable lowers, the grab bars, and the Dash.

All of these were bolt ons I added to my bike, that was completely stock. I never relocated the R/R , messed with the ACCT's , nor earshaved, degoated or even changed the bars. The bike ran like a freaking top the 5 years I owned it, and from what I understand is still going strong.

(I do however have a completely disassembled VN750 sitting in my garage that someday I will put back together.)

Stock bikes retain their resale value better, but come on, owners like to tinker, and many like to modify any bike they own. Try and keep in mind now that every Vulcan on the road right now is at least 3 years old...and most are older. They are not high priced motorbikes, so they do make a good choice for begining wrenches to practice on. Other than the carbs being a pain in the ass to remove/reinstall, the bike is very easy to work on...and there are proven things one can modify without causing damage that will in fact make the bike better if done correctly.

In a forum like this, you will always see folks who are haveing problems with their bikes,as rarely do folks post- " My bike is running beautifully , just thought you all should know" ... so it seems everyone has problems with their bike.... and as most Vulcans here have some mod done to them, it would be a bit remiss say that is the route of the problems.

KM

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey we're guys....that's just what guys do, right? Drink beer and screw with stuff! We can't leave anything alone! We'll either fix it or break it trying. When we were kids we would ALL yank that 3 1/5 hp Briggs engine out of that go-kart and stuff in a 10 hp if given the chance.... and then try to sqeeze more power out of that 10 hp! Ooh ooh aah aah! It can always be faster, bigger or better!

No offense to you ladies out there....it's a guy thing.

By the way, my bike is running beautifully! Just thought you all should know....he he

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Bought my baby brand spanking new, and have only made modest mods like LED brake lights and some cosmetic stuff. But if I bought her used and in need, I could easily see myself tinkering with my "project bike" and seeing what happens if I do this, that or the other thing. For me, it just depends on the need, I guess.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey you have done stuff too. Maybe not as intense as some of these other projects. But you figured out how to grease your splines, get both tires off at once. (still dont know how you pulled that off) I couldn't do it. I had to make two trips. At least on the 750 I had a center stand. My 900 I am going to have to get a jack.
To me growing up owning a bike meant half rider/ half mech. Plus everybody likes to bich once and awhile. Thats why god gave us forums

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hey we're guys....that's just what guys do, right? Drink beer and screw with stuff!
You read my mind. If you ever come to Washington State, your invited to my place for some beer, shoot the empties, and build my bobber project (Spectre 750).

;-)

Now go get your hands dirty, leave the toilet seat up, and don't wipe your feet.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
If you don't make it yours it's not yours, it's the same as the other one. At least for now we can choose!! :carryflag Maybe not for long. :BLAM:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'm gonna get my a$$ handed to me for this, but I have to say it.

This forum is full of threads with people struggling after making a modification to their machine. (I'm not talking about appearance items here) Turn this out, turn that in, remove this, add that, rejet, marble, coaster, fabricate this, rig that up, weld this, plug this in, unplug that... (ugh)

...then.... it won't run or runs like sh!t and everyone is so surprised.

I say some things are better left alone. Just keep it stock and use it as it was designed to be. This bike is just fine the way it is.

Okay - flame on.
Might have gone over a little smoother if ya approached it from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" viewpoint. But then again, maybe not. Not doing or planning anything for my bike that won't make it more reliable or functional. Like R/R and turn signal relocation, LED brake lights, louder horns, rear rack, engine guard, etc.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
hmm 67 mustang fast back or a 68 shelby gt500...
i believe saleen is another one ...

a little paint a couple mods and a completly diffrent car ... :pepper:

we are here to walk us through our experiances our hiccups and mistakes and a growing learning curve through others trial and errors ... mods will always be mods ant tim the tool man taylor always said it best "more power"

i try to stick with the if it aint broke dont fix it but that usually only last a few minutes (about the time it takes for m to find my leather man to start pulling it apart

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a mod-aholic!...LOL! I don't know what it is about Motorcycles that make so many of us look at it as a blank canvas that we can try and improve upon, or at the very least, change to our likings and tastes. I haven't really touched any of the sports cars I have owned over the years, excluding back in the muscle car days when we so many of us "boomers" had to slap on the
thrush mufflers, 50 & 60 series tires, whatever custom wheels we could afford to buy, and of course slap an 8-track player under the dash.
Something about a Motorcycle just make me constantly look at it, see other bikes at rides and events and then get some kind of brainstorm on a change to my bike. And man o man, have I ever seen some great mods some of the riders have done to their 750's. I especially love the folks that have gone bobber with our bike as I think the lines of the VN750 just lends itself to the bobber style....Of course, it is a great bike as is also, so whatever floats your boat.
Oh, and I have been patiently waiting for Knifemaker to someday complete the Vulcan in his garage, as I think that one will be spectacular.......

Stevie D.
Chicago

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I kind of understand the OP, but it might have been a little clearer to say that you shouldn't go into doing some modification to try to fix a problem. With so many members, way too often we see a post where someone has an issue and they decide to do a mod to see if the problem goes away. Or they've torn the bike halfway apart BEFORE posing here with the original symptom and someone here immediately says your blah blah is unplugged...and sure enough, it was. Bad troubleshooting skills are some of the worst problems here, and of course it should be expected with so many members that there are many who haven't developed those simple skills and need help. If only they would ask first!
There are gobs of owners here who have done successful ear shaves to a good running bike and still have an even better running bike, or added V&H Cruisers with no problems...etc. etc. Everyone has to start somewhere. Most problems can be solved pretty easily if you start with the simple stuff and work toward the complicated.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I think my Sig says it all... It aint yours till you make it yours... I bought my 750 with every intention of hacking, cutting, torching, and butchering her to build a chopper that any HD guy would dream he could afford (for a hell a lot less). So with that.. .I am going to continue to mod, hack, chop, and do what is necessary for me to achieve what i vision in my head.

Peace

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Flame you? Whatever for?

I'm mostly with ya - if it ain't broke, then don't fix it! However, some mods - R&R relocation, ACCT/MCCT - are improvements on design flaws. Others fill in for things the manufacturer didn't think we needed, like voltage meters and extra lights.

The trick to any mechanical work is to understand what we're doing, and do it right. A poor mechanic can kill a machine doing routine maintenance, and won't need a botched project to do it.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Hey you have done stuff too. Maybe not as intense as some of these other projects. But you figured out how to grease your splines, get both tires off at once. (still dont know how you pulled that off) I couldn't do it. I had to make two trips. At least on the 750 I had a center stand. My 900 I am going to have to get a jack.

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and saw a sweet transmission jack for about a hundred bucks. It would make a good bike jack.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with what everyone has said here, including myself.
It's great we can all do what we want, when we want and how we want.
And yes... I've done stuff too, but everything I have done is cosmetic and/or maintenance related. The most drastic thing I did was relocate the R/R. I'm not screwing with ears, engines or pipes. They're fine as they are, and I think that's what I meant by leave it stock.

Have fun tinkerin!!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I don't see why anyone would flame you for statng your opinion. This ain't that kind of board.

That being said, a lot of owners like to tinker and "make the bike their own" and that's just as OK as leaving it bone stock.

The drama starts when someone with little to no experience picks up a "project bike" and finds out that this stuff ain't exactly easy unless you have some modicum of skill. Or they try to shortcut the process, like doing an ear shave and pipe mod and not wanting to rejet, or skipping steps cause they're too hard. Or ignoring the "while you're doing this, check that JIC" advice and later having "that" part go bad/break/stop working. When done properly, cosmetic mods should have zero net impact on the way the bike works, and electrical/intake/exhaust mods should make the bike run better. Again, assuming they were done PROPERLY.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Then there are those of us with 20+ year old bikes. Good running bikes this age in stock configuration are nearly impossible to find. My VN was modded and bashed before I ever saw it. I bought it as a blank slate to alter as I please. That said - if I ever do get a late model bike that looks and runs like new I will probably just apply my frame upon it and ride.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts