Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my bike went down in October with shot splines. I had it towed to a mechanic who told me I needed a whole new final drive, and it would be $1200. I grudgingly paid him around $100 for his diagnosis and took it home.

I got a lot of advice on here and in between jobs and other stuff finally got a chance to take the final drive off early this spring. It was easy since I have a cracked left exhaust pipe; I just took the last 18 inches of exhaust pipe off. Maybe now I'll get around to welding that back...

Once I got it off, sure enough, the splines were shot bad. I got a new final drive with good splines for about $120 on eBay. Then a month or so later I got around to getting started. That's when I noticed the teeth in the driveshaft coupling, where the final drive splines meet the driveshaft, were also gone.

I advertised on this forum, saying I'd pay $20 for a coupling and within ONE DAY, Kanuck69 emailed me and said he had one. He had trouble separating the coupling from the driveshaft but shipped it within a few days and sent it chock full of several tablespoons of moly grease, which was super nice of him. I ended up later having to clean all the moly out as I worked with that darn snap ring...

So, using fergy's guide, along with the shop manual, I worked and worked and worked on getting the old coupling off the driveshaft. That snapring, or circlip, is a beast. fergy is right, there's no substitute for the right tool. many hours later, I got the ring off by pure luck but there was no way I was getting it back on the new coupling without the right tool.

I went to Autozone and bought one for $12. It wouldn't fit inside the coupling. I took it back. I went to Sears. No luck. Ace hardware. No luck. Wal-Mart. No luck. Advance auto. No luck. Carquest. No luck. Home Depot had a $23 pair which had removeable tips. I took it home and it wouldn't fit in the coupling. Using wire cutters I snipepd off some long pieces of coat hanger to make longer tips. They were too fat for the holes in the circlip. So I heated them with a lighter and hammered them out on my vise like a blacksmith, then used a chisel to make the tips smaller. They fit the holes, but were too long to be stiff enough to manipulate the ring.

I drove an hour away and bought a $6 set of 4 miniature snap ring pliers at Harbor Freight. One of them ALMOST fit inside the coupling. Back to Home Depot for an $80 Dremel tool (I wanted one anyway) and I cut the edges of the snap ring pliers off. In the coupling they went and put the snap ring on in (I'm estimating here) 3 seconds.

Once the snap ring was on, I found out no one in town had any moly grease. The motorcycle guy at the Kawaski shop told me plain old wheel-bearing grease would work fine. I'd like to reach through that little hole i nthe phone and strangle him. He was going to charge me $1200 to put wheel bearing grease on there!

An hour away to another town I went and bought a tube of moly 60 for $13. Once that was done, I was about an hour away from the bike rolling. Finally, in late March, it's running! But it's raining.

Thanks for all the advice and help. This board is the bomb! Fergy's tips, kanuck69's rapid shipping and hospitality, and everyone else's contributions have really made it fun to be a Vulcan owner.

afield
2001 VN750
Splines Lubed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I ground them

They just wouldn't quite fit inside the coupling, so I ground (or sawed) about 3 or 4 mm off the edges of it, where the hinge on the pliers makes them fat.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I bought two final drives off of ebay for $50.00. They didn't sell for what the seller wanted so I offered 40.00 plus ten for shipping. I love a little extra parts you never know when you are going to need them.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bought two final drives off of ebay for $50.00. They didn't sell for what the seller wanted so I offered 40.00 plus ten for shipping. I love a little extra parts you never know when you are going to need them.
yeah I sold my extra one .. way back when. before reading everything like a dork... I only got $15 out of it...LOL...and my luggage rack went for $40...I felt dirty for a long time...

scuba is now in my list for finding that final drive..LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I did my rear drive I ran into the same problem finding a snap ring plier to fit in the coupling. Then it hit me. The coupling was shot so I cut it off with a chop saw right in front of the snap ring and got it off easily. Putting the snap ring on with an awl and a small screw driver was easy. Just worked it around like putting a tire on. Took less than 15 seconds.

·
2,519 Posts
Hope you gave yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Feels good, doesn't it.

·
Joker Member
28 Posts
Great to hear and thanx for sharing which tools worked !!!! great info!!!

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Wow, man, your vulcan is a 2001?? So is mine, when i did my spline lube, about 5 months after i got it, it was pretty dry, but the teeth were ok. The bike only had like 6k miles on it. I tell you, keeping the spline lubed will save your butt!
Glad you got that hell of a job done and outa the way.

Get ready to ride!
Peace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I did my rear drive I ran into the same problem finding a snap ring plier to fit in the coupling. Then it hit me. The coupling was shot so I cut it off with a chop saw right in front of the snap ring and got it off easily. Putting the snap ring on with an awl and a small screw driver was easy. Just worked it around like putting a tire on. Took less than 15 seconds.
I almost did that, but figured I'd need to get inside the new one anyway, and knew getting the new one on was going to be harder than getting the old one off.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I almost did that, but figured I'd need to get inside the new one anyway, and knew getting the new one on was going to be harder than getting the old one off.
That was an awesome writeup of your experiences. Definitely had me cracking up when the modified snap ring pliers got the snap ring off in 3 seconds. I've often felt really lucky to have already owned (don't even remember where I got the pair of snap ring pliers I have) the ones that fit, considering how hard it is to find them. I'm thinking I should research the info and put a link for ordering the exact ones I have for those who have to replace their coupling.

Anyway, I'm happy for you and the others who have done their splines lately, and for those who have had to replace the final drive and coupling and were able to get er done!:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Well, I got my wife to dig mine out of the tool box and clean them up to get a model number for me to research them and dang if they didn't change the design over the years. They are fatter in the hinge area so I don't believe they would fit inside the coupling far enough with the new design. But after some research I found this set:

Klein 73242 is the model and they can be ordered online. I found them from a seller on ebay as well as from Stanley tools online. $14-$17 plus shipping, so I'd shop around but these look to be a better fit than even my old pair. I updated the spline lube procedure with a pic of them and a link... Hopefully the next member will have more fun and less headaches with this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts