Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i just lubed my splines in the final drive. I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was. I found it to be really easy, and i have my left wrist in a hard cast half way up my arm. What i found inside the final drive is what im sure everyone wishes they could find: Nice, lubed, and still have very healthy splines in tact. Im glad I tore it all apart, now i have the peace of mind that the splines are good and it is clean and properly lubed again. Now for the r/r.. View attachment 3281

View attachment 3282

View attachment 3283

View attachment 3284

·
2,519 Posts
Nice job!

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I just did mine 2,000 miles ago but with wheel bearing grease. I learned later from this site that it's not good enough so I did it again last weekend with Moly 60. I'm really glad i did because I found the o-ring had broken and the grease was all splattered around the interior of the final drive. Got a new O-ring at ACE hardware, cleaned everything out and re-packed it. I lubed the throttle cables as well. It was warm enough today so i took the bike to work. Feels good to be back on her, but snow is expected later this week.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe there was only a window of time where the splines weren't getting lubed properly before delivery. I believe your 1986 model fell well before that window.

I tore my 2005 model down to also find well lubed splines, with a date or something written in Sharpie.

I believe it's been written here what the most common dates for dry splines was... I believe it was for a few years around the 2000 era... But, I haven't been here that long. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Good Luck!

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
When I tore my '91 down, the rear splines were lubed, but the front ones at the transmission were not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is a 2001. Opened it up at 15.5 and there was nothing but rust and dust. Worn very badly. Lubed them up but they blew out a couple thousand miles later. Found a good used drive and new coupling.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Most of the dry ones have been in the 2000-2006 models, but a few have been found in slightly older models. The problem with the older ones is that this is a maintenance item that is most always overlooked, and needs to be kept up with. Search on google and you'll see that all makes of shaft drive bikes are blowing the splines now and then, because it gets ignored.
The front splines get a little grease but there is little movement (the spring is at the rear) there so it's not as critical. Pull the rubber boot back and a good spray of white lithium grease does just fine. If you pull it off the front spline and slather it with moly 60, that's just fine too!

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
My '89 was dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts