Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...........Need some info please........Along with my 2006, I just purchased a very nice 2000 VN750 with 36643 miles on it. The rear tire is a new Dunlop, & it also has a Kaw orig windshield & perfect seat. The stator is grounded on all three legs & probablly the R&R is also gone South. The plug looks fine though. It was a Womens bike & looks almost like new----paint & chrome cherry. (See attached pics). I am either going to replace the stator & R&R..........Part the whole bike out..............or sell it like it is & let the new buyer replace the above. I hate to part out such a nice bike though & really don't have the time to do the repairs either. I removed the R&R & have a custom alum. relocation bracket like on my 2006. The three stator wires also look good & not burnt.

My question is, the bike starts up fine & stays running only if the start switch is held in which also keeps the starter engaged. As soon as the start button is released, it quits. ??????????

Tcat1000

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
I'm no electrical wizard, but that sounds like a bad start switch to me. Have you tried cleaning it, looking for cracks, etc.?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This gal was on a trip coming back from the Blue Ridge Parkway & pulled into a gas mart in Goshen Ind. for a soda. When she came out..............Nobody home! She had it taken to local Kaw dealer & had it diagnosed with a bad stator. She had it hauled home here to Michigan by a friend. She lives about 10 miles from me.

Nothing visable on the outside of the switch.

Tcat

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
The outside of the switch is pretty much irrelevent. It's the contacts on the inside that matter. Also, check the ignition switch and the kickstand switch and the clutch switch. Perhaps the wiring is messed up.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
This gal was on a trip coming back from the Blue Ridge Parkway & pulled into a gas mart in Goshen Ind. for a soda. When she came out..............Nobody home! She had it taken to local Kaw dealer & had it diagnosed with a bad stator. She had it hauled home here to Michigan by a friend. She lives about 10 miles from me.

Nothing visable on the outside of the switch.

Tcat
The stator may very well be bad. Here is a thread that covers how to test the stator: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12333&highlight=Stator+Test

But since the bike starts and runs as long as the start button is held down and dies when you release it, the reason it is dying is more than likely someting in a switch that's causing it. Not saying you won't need to replace the stator and possibly the regulator/rectifier if they are bad, just don't expect the bike to run once they are replaced if you don't also trace out this problem.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The problem is not in the stator or r/r, with a good battery these bikes will start and run without a stator and r/r.

Ignition switch, start button, junction box or safety switches will be the fault. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
About the starter switch...Check all the connections inside the headlight can. Dianna had this same issue a while back and although she found it on the wiring from the fairing it sounds like you are having the same issue she had. Maybe she will give you some ideas on what to check. I believe she just didn't have something plugged in good though.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
no way I would part that bike out, take your time and track it down, I'm sure you will be glad you did!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies so far......I will get into the healight as soon as I can find some time. I also found out that the headlight does not work when it starts with that start switch held in. All the other lights work.

I really don't have the time to part it out anyway & will probably end up selling it the way it is. I don't need it as again, I have an 2006.

I just want to find out what other issues there are besides the Stator & R&R before it finds a new home.........

Tcat

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
The headlight isn't supposed to come on until you release the start button, so I wouldn't worry about it until you get it running. Still think all you need to do is get the switches lance mentioned working properly and she'll run. I'm betting the dealership couldn't get it to run and decided it was a bad stator. I don't know how you would determine if the stator is bad without the bike running.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
If i was close I'd be more then willing to tear into that for ya... it would be worth a lot more with those bugs worked out... I hope u find a good home for her she is a beaut and will make someone very happy :rockon:

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Diana had this probem you might want to contact her and ask what it was.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Do a search, some one here had the same problem. I think they fixed thiers.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8249&highlight=starter+switch+held
So Dianna`s problem turns out to be the pickup coils got reversed when they were working on the bike. This doesn`t really help tcat, because the PO shut the bike off, drank a soda, and the bike wouldn`t start and stay running. Nobody had touched it with a wrench.

lance has told us what parts need checking to eliminate the symptoms described: the ignition switch, start button, junction box or one of the safety switches. This is where I would start. If that doesn`t isolate the problem, then we can look for something less obvious. JMHO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Hi again.............The starting issue & the headlight issue have been solved. I cleaned some connections, lubed & tried again & it started right up & kept running as it should. The headlight issue was not having the R&R plugged in to the harness. As soon as I replugged it to the harness & after it started up the HL worked again.

Retested the stator & all three yellow stator wires are grounded to the engine which means it's toast! Probably the R&R is gone & should be replaced anyway along with the stator.

Now all I have to do is decide whether to sell it like it is or fix it first & then sell it. I don't need two bikes.

Thanks again for the posts..............:p

Tcat

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glad to hear it was so easily fixed. How the heck did the electrical connection to the r/r come loose?

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
And I don't need three bikes. But out of curiosity, what are you thinking you might sell her for, as is?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suppose this post should be in the sell/swap area, but since you asked here, I am going to sell her for $1500 firm. She needs the stator & R&R, I can get the stator & R&R (Ricks) wholsale. (If in stock at my supplier)

It has a new rear tire, (Dunlop)
Kawasaki Windshield
Custom Alum R&R bracket included but not yet mounted
Perfect paint & chrome
Perfect seat.
Rear tool box hinge broke with taped hinge
See pics on first post above

Thanks
Tcat
Email [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If you haven't already done so, go ahead and post this in the Sell & Swap forum so everyone can see it, otherwise only followers of this thread will know you want to sell it. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moved to Sell & Swap area

1 - 20 of 20 Posts