Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired an '89 and attempted to get the carb rebuilt by a local guy; four months of waiting and the wrong jets or whatever.
I'm gonna take it to a local Kawasaki dealer and depending on price I want to get the thing running and starting perfect.
It seems to me that the starter may need replacing and the carb needs a rebuild. I am not carburetor-ically inclined so I'll have them do that, but I've replaced quite a few starters in cars and whatnot in my day.
Just wondering if it's do-able or should I just pay the extra for the dealer to do it? And about how much it will cost;
1. Carb rebuild?
2. Starter replacement? Or testing to see if I even need a new one.

You know it's an old bike, but in decent condition. Needs a couple little things. Obviously dropped by a previous owner. A ding or 2. Needs a new tank, controls are loose, mirrors. If anyone has/knows of any for a good price let me know.
Thanks guys!

·
Chromedome
2 Posts
Vulcan 750 Gas tank

I have a Gas tank off a 2005 Vulcan 750 available. It look good except for a small dent on the right side. No promise but paintless dent doctor might be able to pop out the dent. The inside of the tank is clean. If you are interested contact me.

Chromedome

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I would definitely not go to a dealer. First of all, many dealers will not even work on bikes more than 10 years old, and even if they do, you are looking at spending more than the bike is likely worth. Having had experience with dealers, and with many other unfortunate people who have had experience with dealers, I doubt there is any bigger rip off out there than a dealer service department. You are probably looking at over $1000 for the carbs (the Vulcan 750n has two) and the starter. A new starter alone is $285, and if you have a dealer install it, you will not only have to pay at least $100 in labor (assuming nothing else is wrong) but they will mark up the price of the starter as well.

The carburetors are a real PITA to remove and replace on the Vulcan 750, you can count on several hours of shop labor at around $100 an hour, plus parts, for that.

The Vulcan 750 is better as a do it yourself. For the most part it is not an easy bike to work on, especially anything engine related. The engine is extremely complex. But most people are capable of at least learning how to work on everything except internal engine problems. There is a lot of information here, including a free downloadable service manual. I would just take your time and delve into it slowly, asking questions as you go. I would sure hate to see anyone get victimized for over a thousand dollars by the crookedist of crooks on earth, a motorcycle dealer.

The reason many dealers won't work on an older bike is because the bill often comes to more than the bike is worth, the owner decides not to pay, and the dealer is stuck with a bike they are going to lose big money on. With dealers, it's ALL about money, and how much of it they can take you for.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
If you can remove and reinstall the carbs, you'll be lots of $ ahead to send them here: http://carbworx.com/ Last itme I checked, he charged $45 per carb plus parts to clean them, and he does a good job.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I say do the carbs yourself many on here have cleaned rejetted and rebuilt the carbs and it is not that hard as ajerry said getting them off and back on is a pita but that is the hardest bit to do in my oppinion, as for the starter before you take it off drain the oil if not you will spill oil out of the crankcase all over the floor, there are videos on here showing you how to do the carbs so give it a search on here,

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I say do the carbs yourself many on here have cleaned rejetted and rebuilt the carbs and it is not that hard as ajerry said getting them off and back on is a pita but that is the hardest bit to do in my oppinion, as for the starter before you take it off drain the oil if not you will spill oil out of the crankcase all over the floor, there are videos on here showing you how to do the carbs so give it a search on here,
Here is a link to Roach`s videos, engine rebuild and many others, including the carbs.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18289

Carb rebuild direct link to thread:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187046#post187046

1 - 6 of 6 Posts