Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some on the forums in the cooling section I noticed my fan has NEVER run since I have owned the bike. The temp has never gotten into the red zone but it has been close once.
I did some troubleshooting today and the fan does indeed work if connected to an outside power source. The other check of grounding the lead that hooks up to the thermo switch resulted in no fan run. I believe it is related to the junction box but I really don't want to replace it if I don't have to. The starter and headlight relays both work just fine. One question I have is where exactly is the relay located? I took the junction box off and it is mostly just the fuse holder and a rubber backing. I assume there are some diodes behind the rubber backing. There is another sealed box on the right side aft of the battery box. Is this where the relays are or are they behind the rubber on the junction box?
Another question. In the Kawasaki manual it tells you the pin outs and has an ohm meter check with and without the battery connected. The problem is the book says to connect the batttery as shown but it doesn't show how to connect a battery with the main leads unplugged. Does anyone know how to go about this?
I'm thinking of doing a rewire and bypassing the juncion box fan relay with an outside one and its own inline fuse. Does anyone know of any other possible solutions?
Engines I know, electrical is sometimes a mystery.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
The relays are in the junction box. Relays aren't that big. I think the box behind the battery is the reserve lighting unit. I've got an extra junction box taken out of a running bike. I bought it off of eBay before finding out that my headlight circuit problem was due to a shorted regulator. If you figure out it's the box, send me an email and we'll work something out.

As to connecting the battery, alligator clips are the usual method. Try Radio Shack or your local police station. :)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The methodology of connecting the battery isn't the problem, it's which pins to connect the battery to that is the question. There is no schematic or diagram which indicates which pins to hook up to the battery, just the ohm meter for the reading(s).
One thing I am learning, owning a motorcycle to save money is an oxymoron.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
OH! Ok, my manual (shop manual) says connect your
*multimeter to 2 and 5, and the battery to 2 & 4
multimeter to 7 and 8, and the battery to 9 & 13
multimeter to 11 and 13, and the battery to 11 & 12

This is from the last box on page 15-51.

You have pinouts, right?

*This is the fan relay, the others are starter and headlight.

And the oxymoron - it's ok if you get a DIFFERENT motorcycle. Unfortunately for me, I HAD TO HAVE a bike with shaft, 80's styling, mag wheels, a tach, water cooled and 4 cylinders (didn't get that wish). I didn't know what I was getting into. But, with this site and a few others, it becomes a community thing, and it can be fun. I just love the smell of oil in the morning...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. So far, even here in south Texas, the temp gauge hasn't gone into the red zone. The only time it came close was idling in my garage while I was seeing IF the fan would come on. Even in traffic it never gets past the little cooling icon in the window. However, knowing it will come on if need be is a comfort I would rather have considering how hot it gets here in the summer.

Headlight and starter work just fine so it's the fan relay that's suspect.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
IF the fan relay checks out, pull the thermostat and see if it's stuck open. My wife's thermostat was stuck open for about a year. Which was OK, except it proved to be a real bugger in the winter, when she couldn't get any heat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts