Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Washington is giving some great riding weather this summer, and I'm loving it! Unfortunately, the more I ride the more pesky problems pop up.

The latest is a tranny problem, and conveniently enough, I know absolutely jack **** about trannies. Guess it's time to learn! When I'm cruising down the freeway at 75-80 in 5th the tranny downshifts itself into 4th, which of course sends the tach shooting up to about 8000. This is the only time that the tranny shifts itself. It never happens in any other gear, anywhere in the powerband, and it only happens at about 80 mph.

Oddly enough, if i'm throttling up this doesn't happen. I can get the bike just about up to its top end (if I don't run out of road!) without any tranny issues. It only happens when I'm holding freeway speeds. Usually I can just stick it back into 5th and it won't happen again for a few miles. Needless to say, it's a pain in the ass. More than that, I'm worried that it's probably a symptom of much worse tranny issues on the horizon, which I'd like to nip in the bud.

I've got a Clymer's, but any extra input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
My '97 did that when the keeper on my shifter broke. I replaced the broken keeper and took the play out of the shift lever and the sudden shifting stopped.
Vulcano750 said:
Hey all! Washington is giving some great riding weather this summer, and I'm loving it! Unfortunately, the more I ride the more pesky problems pop up.

The latest is a tranny problem, and conveniently enough, I know absolutely jack **** about trannies. Guess it's time to learn! When I'm cruising down the freeway at 75-80 in 5th the tranny downshifts itself into 4th, which of course sends the tach shooting up to about 8000. This is the only time that the tranny shifts itself. It never happens in any other gear, anywhere in the powerband, and it only happens at about 80 mph.

Oddly enough, if i'm throttling up this doesn't happen. I can get the bike just about up to its top end (if I don't run out of road!) without any tranny issues. It only happens when I'm holding freeway speeds. Usually I can just stick it back into 5th and it won't happen again for a few miles. Needless to say, it's a pain in the ass. More than that, I'm worried that it's probably a symptom of much worse tranny issues on the horizon, which I'd like to nip in the bud.

I've got a Clymer's, but any extra input would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts