Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Vulcanados,

Excited about the new bike, been off for about 7 years and it's a beautiful riding summer in Western Washington so far! I got an '06 VN750 for cheap off of Craigslist that I've already put some decent mileage on and now am starting on some of the projects that I'm dreaming up.

Plan: Almost everything falls into the category of de-cluttering and streamlining. None of these are very ambitious, but I'm excited to cut my teeth on bike customization.

1) Smaller and recovered saddle. I was disappointed that there weren't any plug and play aftermarket saddles for the 750, and I thought I'd rather spend $30 on foam and vinyl than $100+ that still doesn't fit very good. Started cutting down the original seat pan last night. I was contemplating a solo seat which would necessitate the removal of the frame elements over the fender (a big job for sure!). I like the bobber look, but happily my wife randomly mentioned that she would like to go for rides on it in the future. I'm certainly glad that she has some interest in joining me in the hobby, so a two up seat it remains ;)

2) Remove the side cover badges. Simple enough: hair dryer and goo-gone. Voila.

3) Relocate horns, a bit more complicated than I thought since they hide a pretty ugly brake line splitter. Have to figure out if it's worth doing new brake lines to get rid of that thing. I think the horns will fit under the plastic neck panels, I just have to check that they aren't too muffled. Otherwise maybe underneath the radiator.

4) New tail light as well as front and rear turn signals

5) New grips

6) Spark plugs and wires (ordered NGK Iridium ones today). The bike starts hard sometimes, even when warm and I've read some reviews about those plugs that they might just do the trick. New wires just to be fancy.

7) Apparently I need to check the spline lube. The Kawi dealer wants $200 in labor, so I think I'll attempt it myself with the plethora of tutorials here.

I'll add pics when my post count is high enough. Anyone know how many it is?

Thanks for looking!
Landy

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
here

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
is

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
how

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
you

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
raise your

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
post count.trust me.I'm the sluttiest post whore on this forum

Reactions: Paulywog

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@OleDirtyDoc And I was like, "Wow, six replies already!". Don't do me any favors, ODD ;)

Pics as promised:

As purchased, all stock as far as I can tell.

Beginnings:
Side panel badges removed. I was glad this went as well as it did because everything else I had been planning was hitting snags!

New saddle rough draft. (Still trying to figure out how to mount it. Anyone used magnets before?). Also the toolbox, sissy bar and fender struts removed.

New turn indicator (temporary) location. Fender strut bolt hole repurposed.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
looking good

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the new NGK Iridium spark plugs in today. Now she fires up from cold with barely a touch of the button! Thanks to everyone on this forum posting up good advice and helping each other out!

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Dang! :surprise: That's a clean looking EBay find!
:smiley_th

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Making some progress with the new seat brackets, pics to come shortly. For now, does anyone see a problem mounting new rear turn indicators to the stock tail light housing?

Something with this type of mounting bolt

Into the side of our tail light housing. There seems to be plenty of room in there, and then just run the wiring along with the rest of the tail light wiring.

Any thoughts?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
Reactions: majdsaster

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope everyone has been having as good of weather as we have had here in the PNW!

I got the spline lube done on the bike yesterday. No rust or dust like in other accounts, but I've got less than 12k miles. I used the Honda 77 stuff. Only had a short ride home from my friend's shop after, but she seemed much smoother.

Cleaning the carbs is next! I hope there is a tutorial on here somewhere as good as fergie's Spline Lube Procedure thread ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi man. I cant see any of the pics and that made me sad!! I use google photos for all my picture needs. Although now you cant imbed the link to the forum directly, there is a relativelt easy way to do it. Google photos is very easy and its free for the first so many Gigs. Or unlimited free for high resolution but up to some limit. Its totally legit.

·
2,528 Posts
I have been using shutterfly and that seems to work fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Project Update: after spending several confused hours online trying to figure out the legality of my plans, I talked to a super helpful trooper with the Washington State Patrol today (that is, after speaking to a very unhelpful clerk!).

Washington Laws: fender may not be cut back beyond the vertical axis of the axle. License plates may be relocated to the side as long as they remain horizontal, lit, and 'conspicuous'. Rear lighting (run-brake-turn) may be combined, but only on each side to maintain turn signal spacing.

With that in mind I just ordered new shocks (10.5") and a side mount license plate bracket with small combo LED bolts to light the plate. I'll post some pics when I get my loot.

Let the games begin!

P.S. Thanks OleDirtyDoc for the tip about Tapatalk. Here are those spline pics I tried to post but got stiff armed by Photobucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great news: my new shocks arrived today (earlier than anticipated)! Fit great; look great! $179 with shipping (they had light duty ones for $139), 10.5" (they had all sorts of sizes). From motorcycle parts outlet on eBay. I was amazed that they posted a phone number in the ad and you could actually can and talk to someone about your purchase. I talked to Mike who seemed super knowledgeable.

Here they are next to our stock ones.

And on the bike.

Love the lowered look. Bounced on it a few times to make sure I wasn't in danger of bottoming out.

Side mount license plate bracket is due to arrive soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts