Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm sorry to say Jim was in an accident recently. Roughly one month ago. His son stopped by today to share the news with me. He has recently become aware enough that he wanted all to know what happened. The following is a write up from his son who I think says it all. I'm just a messenger here.

on the 19th of October, my dad was involved in a motorcycle accident. He was headed to work around 9:20 PM on a back road. He came around a curve and saw brake lights. Just after the curve is a road that dead ends onto the road he was on... someone was turning left and waiting for oncoming traffic to get by them. Locked up the rear tire (I'll assume he was on the front brake too), kept it straight and upright, but realized he wasn't going to stop in time, so he swerved to the right to keep from rearending the car in front of him. As soon as he swerved, he laid the bike down, again, I assume he did it intentionally. The bike didn't land on his leg (that's why I assume he pushed it down) he slid a little ways off the side of the road, keeping on his back and on his side and keeping his head up and tucked. He ended up slamming into a street sign pole back/side first. I took his gear home, and his brand new helmet isn't even dirty. No sctaches, no marks, nothing. He did everything right when he laid it down and controlled the accident the best he could. (upon me checking out the scene of the accident, and looking at the police report, i filled in almost all the blanks in what happened, and have to admit, I am rather proud of him on how it all went down) Externally, he only has mild road rash. I'm talking no stitches at all. Had it not been for the pole, he woulda just been sore.
They took him to a local hospital that is known for a great trama ward (Grant Medical in down town Columbus for the locals). They induced him into a coma within an hr. He arived talking fairly clear headed, but a little confused. Being that this hospital is a good 20 miles from the accident (again, for the locals, this was in Grove City towards Orient where he wrecked) we were scared to death.
At first, just major internal bleeding and suspected kidney damage, but after 'plugging the leak' and waiting for improvment, his blood pressure was still way too low indicating more internal bleeding.
Got him ready for exploritory surgury and went in to discover some major bleeding they were unable to detect before. Over then next few days, his spleen, kidney, a lobe of his liver (one fifth of the liver) and a section of his colin all came out. He also did some back damage in the impact.
After about 2 weeks in a coma and constant dialysis, they woke him up. The info i got from my mom and sisters sounded like he just woke up from a nap and everything was fine. I kinda went in the hospital with rose colored glasses and got a huge b!tch slap of reality when I got there. He couldn't comunicate with the one inch or so corigated tube in his throat. He was getting agrivated not being able to talk, and too weak to write.
The next day, the tube came out. he was able to whisper loudly. He seemed ok, talking about things that sounded well thought out, but a little crazy thrown in.
Then, the next visit seemed horrible. He was remembering names from 20 years ago and talking like he just saw them yesterday. Some of these people have been dead for years. Then the confusion and paranoia sets in. He says things about "the people trying to kill him", and how "his leaders have been turned evil" and his sister being told to kill him with a pickle gun... insane insanity.
It felt like a couple steps back, and I was worried about brain damage or something. Turns out, his body is just not filtering out the meds that they gave him to put him in the coma.
So now at least we can have some fun with the paranoia. I've been told the crazy talk has subsided, I went this morning to see him but he was sleeping.

His recovery will be long and painfull, but his prognosis is good. They said it'll be a year before they can do a skin graft to close the hole in his belly where they did all the work from, so it's gonna be a while.

In his moments of lucid talk, he has said he realizes he will be medicly retired (prision guard, loss of a spleen and/or kidney pretty much kills the chances of going back to work), he has said he knows he won't be able to be a pilot anymore and will have to sell the plane, he knows he'll be in too much pain to ride a bike, probably for the rest of his life... the only thing he hasn't admited to is not being able to sail. I suspect he'll be in too much pain for the rest of his life to sail on his own now too, but we'll let him figure that out.

I know I am rambling, and kinda venting a tad... I guess all in all, if you are a person with religulous roots, please say a prayer for My dad (Jim) If your father is alive, and local, go give him a hug and tell him you love him. You can close the blindes if it makes you feel better, but go do it. If your old man is not local, call him and tell him you love him. You never know when something may take the ability to say that to him away from you, possibly forever. I told my dad I love him today, for the first time in many many years, and he said "I love you back" and it put a lump in my throat.
If your father is no longer with us, then take a moment to remember him, or even visit.
Every day is father's day.

I refuse to post a photo of him in the hospital, so instead, this is a photo of him from a few months ago visiting his grandson. That's my mom with him.

Link to origional Post. Pics here.

See You Soon Jim!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
So sorry to hear of Jims accident. He certainly is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
God Speed Jim.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Thats sad, sorry to hear about your Jim's accident, but I am glad to hear that he survived and will heal with time. ... Prayers & the best of luck to your Dad for a full & speedy recovery. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I am deeply sorry for your family's horrible experience. I am praying for you and your dad. If there is anything I can do, please email me or something.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I really hate to hear this ,Jim was a from what I could tell ,a good guy,definitely will be praying on his behalf,Denny

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear of Jim`s accident and injuries. Jim and his family will be in my prayers. This group is truly like a family in their concern for one another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post on your forum here, my name is Andy, i am Jim's son that stopped by and spoke with kanuck69 today.
Jason... thanks for posting this, and for calling my dad. My sister played the voice mail and here's what she said;
Jason called his cell and left him a nice message, which I relayed. I think Pop was happy to hear from him. ^_^
As the post said, Dad has a long road ahead of him. He is very persistant and knows what he needs to do. I think between that, and me standing by to push him when he needs a shove, he will come out OK.
He is in Grant Medical Center here in Columbus. He did say to me that he didn't want this posted as in looking for visitors, but more of a to let the board family know what has happened. If anyone wants to send a card or anything, I can forward them to him. (does this site have a private message system? If so, PM me, otherwise, I'll post my e-mail and I can send my snail mail addy.
I do appreciate all your well wishes, and I know my dad will too. Once he is a little better, I will be showing him this thread.
As I said above in the copy and paste...if you are a person with religulous roots, please say a prayer for My dad (Jim).

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
First post on your forum here, my name is Andy, i am Jim's son that stopped by and spoke with kanuck69 today.
Jason... thanks for posting this, and for calling my dad. My sister played the voice mail and here's what she said;

As the post said, Dad has a long road ahead of him. He is very persistant and knows what he needs to do. I think between that, and me standing by to push him when he needs a shove, he will come out OK.
He is in Grant Medical Center here in Columbus. He did say to me that he didn't want this posted as in looking for visitors, but more of a to let the board family know what has happened. If anyone wants to send a card or anything, I can forward them to him. (does this site have a private message system? If so, PM me, otherwise, I'll post my e-mail and I can send my snail mail addy.
I do appreciate all your well wishes, and I know my dad will too. Once he is a little better, I will be showing him this thread.
As I said above in the copy and paste...if you are a person with religulous roots, please say a prayer for My dad (Jim).
Thanks Andy, for making sure we Knew about your Dad and his condition ,I'll ask our Church to remember him as well,A hard first post to write I am sure,but a better thing you could not have done,God Bless you and your family,Denny

·
2,527 Posts
Always sad to hear a member went down, my prayers are with you and your family.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't know who Jim is, or what his relation to you is (kanuck), but I certainly wish him the best recovery possible! It's just awful when something like that happens for no reason. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
He and your family and friends will be in my prayers. At church this Sunday I'll make mention of this during service, and ask all the members of my church to pray for your father's recovery and that the Lord will keep all of you strong.

I don't know what the religion back grounds are of the members of this board, but I do want to say a little prayer on here. Please anyone that isn't religious or of a different religious belief please take no offense to this prayer.

Lord, I want to thank you for letting us be here right now, and Lord I want to tank you for keeping us safe. Lord this is a very sad deal that has happened to this poster's family with the father/husband/grandfather being in a terrible motorcycle accident. Lord I want to thank you for keeping him alive and we all know that he will have a slow recovery, but with your will Lord please stay with this family and their friends to keep them strong. In your name Lord I pray. - Amen

·
Dave
95 Posts
I will keep him in my prayers.

And tell your Dad don't give up on the flying thing so quick. I had a friend also have an accident on his Harley that sounded much like your Dad's. Same type of injuries. It took him several years but I'm happy to say he's back flying his Twin Cessna 310 again. There is always the new Sport Pilot license he can fall back on too.

For now though let us all pray to God for comfort and healing.

Dave

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Good luck with everything man, tell your Pop we were askin' for him. Sounds like you're being strong for him - that's great. Keep up the positivity...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Prayers go out to Jim and his family.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts