Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a car run a red light the other day as I was coming through the intersection - we avoided the up close and personal by me jetting around the front end and her hitting the brakes. But the experience got me thinking about my safety gear. So here's the question- I ride my bike almost every day - year round - it is my main mode of transportation. I wear a full face helmet gloves, boots and either a leather jacket or a cortex jacket with armor - but I almost always wear jeans or jeans and snow boarding pants in the cold weather. After the close encounter I got to wondering about whether or not jeans would be enough protection in the event of a mishap.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I usually wear jeans but i do have a heavy pair of canvas pants. Those things have amazing abrasion resistance and high tear strength.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
IIRC motorcycle weight leather will slide for about 80-100 feet on the big asphalt grinder before wearing through.

Denim jeans will last for about 5 feet.
Kevlar riding jeans like slim recommends should be a great improvement.
But do your research to find the best brand and maybe look for some with hard armor inserts for hips and knees.

I have seen some ads for something called "Under Armor", made to be worn under regular street clothing, and it fits snugger to keep armor in place if you put it to the test in a slide.

You might want to add a pair of armored leather pants for some of your riding too.

http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough/e/B001JOWE2I/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
David Hough says European motorcyclists seem to take riding more seriously than most North American riders. One sign of this is that you can always tell the German riders at a rally by the racing weight leathers they wear even for riding on public streets and roads.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
I usually wear jeans but i do have a heavy pair of canvas pants. Those things have amazing abrasion resistance and high tear strength.
Yes....compared to tissue paper.

I wear armored mesh pants in summer and armored Cordura over pants when it's cooler out....or "motorcycle weight" leather pants.

Plain jeans are worthless. Even heavy canvas ones are if they are still made of cotton.

Leather is hard to beat. But the heavier Cordura pants can sometimes surpass leather. Having armor in the knees and hips can be a big advantage in both the leather or nylon pant. Double layers in the seat and common impact areas too.

I prefer the armored nylon over leather and consider the "Kevlar" jean the minimum ....which says you can still do better. They also have the advantage of not only being more waterproof... But still function well when wet....which some leathers and cotton pants don't.

You got boots, gloves, an armored jacket and a helmet.....why do so many totally ignore the lower half of their body?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Im well aware there are vastly superior materials to use. But from what i have on hand, the canvas is going to be a better choice than the denim for me. My brother recently got his hands on some pretty heavy cow hide. Im thinking of making a set of leather reinforced riding jeans. Just have to get some cash to get some of that leather.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
I like to wear Draggin Jeans they work for me.

one could also look into leather chaps. yes, leather is REALLY had to beat!

but, jeans are better than most of what I see people around here wearing! they mostly wear (when the temp's are warm or hot) shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops! :doh::wow:

·
Registered
936 Posts
You got boots, gloves, an armored jacket and a helmet.....why do so many totally ignore the lower half of their body?
It's a great question KM. I'm guilty of it myself - have been lucky so far....

...jeans are better than most of what I see people around here wearing! they mostly wear (when the temp's are warm or hot) shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops! :doh::wow:
That's what I see a lot of too. I understand why (nice and cool) but I can never bring myself to it. The flip-flops really surprise me !!

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Again I'll just say each rider needs to make their own decision on what level of protection they are comfortable with. I really try to be an ATGATT guy. But yeah, I see guys with "novelty" 1/2 helmets, shorts and T shirts in the summer. Ain't seen flip-flops but .. seen sandals....with socks...lol.

If you want something that does actually protect your lower body more than jeans....don't go half-assed....get armored pants made THROUGHOUT with high abrasion resistant material. For what they charge for "Kevlar" jeans....which only have Kevlar reinforcement in some critical areas.... You can buy armored nylon pants that are made completely of high abrasion material.

But hey....."jeans" look cooler than nylon pants with bulging knees and reflective stripes right?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
one could also look into leather chaps. yes, leather is REALLY had to beat!:
For some reason I see very few wearing chaps of late. It seems to have gone the way of 'ole skool. They are easy to put on and take off and you still can wear the jeans so you are comfortable when you are not riding. I have a pair that I bought about two years ago and never wore them in that time. Maybe if I start doing longer overnight rides they will come into use....or not.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
For some reason I see very few wearing chaps of late. It seems to have gone the way of 'ole skool. They are easy to put on and take off and you still can wear the jeans so you are comfortable when you are not riding. I have a pair that I bought about two years ago and never wore them in that time. Maybe if I start doing longer overnight rides they will come into use....or not.
I think chaps are great....for what they were designed for.....riding a horse.

For a bike they seem kinda silly. You crash and fall on your butt....your ass gets ground off. Fall on your belly...your cock and balls get ground off....

They look hot on semi naked gals but just look a bit gay on a guy. Just my opinion here;)

If you're going to spring some cash for chaps....toss in a few bucks more and get leather pants. Your ass and balls may thank you some day.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

For a bike they seem kinda silly. You crash and fall on your butt....your ass gets ground off. Fall on your belly...your cock and balls get ground off....

They look hot on semi naked gals but just look a bit gay on a guy. Just my opinion here;)

If you're going to spring some cash for chaps....toss in a few bucks more and get leather pants. Your ass and balls may thank you some day.
x2 :smiley_th

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I almost didnt notice that hypercharger..... i love the way those things look. But i cant do chaps...too village people. Leather pants are so expensive too. Looks like i should just find some Kevlar boxer shorts and knee pads and ill be all set.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts

well, I don't know about you, but if I was to wear chaps and fall on my belly, my cock and balls would be well protected! my belly is WAY bigger than anything below it! lol
yes, chaps don't do much in the way of protecting your ass. but they are still better than just wearing jeans! also, in cold weather they really keep your legs warm too!
by the way.....chaps are always "ass-less". if they were to have an ass, they are leather pants! lol

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there some particular thickness of hide that you should look for in leather?
I think I will go up to cycle gear this week and see if they have any that will fit over my regular pants since I ride into work every day.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts