Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I went to the jc whitney website for motorcycles and spent about 2 hours looking to see what they have. What I found are 11" shocks that say they will fit my VN750. I am wanting a set to lower the back a couple of inches. Does anyone have any experience with ordering from them and if their stuff is any good or plain junk. The shocks were priced around $55.00 / which seems too good to be true. The progressive shocks cost $256.00 and that's quite a price difference! If anyone has a set of 11" shocks for sale, I would be happy to purchase them or if anyone has another way that the rear can be lowered instead of using the shocks. Thanks....:confused:

Here's the link for the shocks / it's on page #2 about midway down the page:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle/kawasaki-vulcan-1995/d1342y1995j3s8.jcwx

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Try looking on ebay i was thinking of getting the 10.5 inch sportster lowering shocks. they should fit but you will have to ream out the holes. the sportster shocks have 1/2 inch holes our bikes have 12mm studs. but that should give you 2 inches our stock shocks are 12.5 inches. they will not ride as nice as the progressives but you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
JCW junkie here,I Have always had good luck shopping with them and most of there stuff is fairly good quality,The shocks I don't know about.Several members on here have made their own lowering brackets and used the stock shocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will look at the sportster shocks (thanks for the tip!). I also posted a link to jc whitney to see the shocks I am talking about. Check it out if ya don't mind and let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Denny, do you know if anyone on here has a set they will sell? I don't have the resources to make them yet. Thanks....

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I shop JCW all the time but as said, you get what you pay for. Their products have improved a lot over the years.

DT

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
:zzz:DT is right i was half asleep last night when i posted. jc whitney has came a long way i ordered my last set of turn signals from them, along with the bike cover. they aren't bad you just have to watch what you buy.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Try looking on ebay i was thinking of getting the 10.5 inch sportster lowering shocks. they should fit but you will have to ream out the holes. the sportster shocks have 1/2 inch holes our bikes have 12mm studs. but that should give you 2 inches our stock shocks are 12.5 inches. they will not ride as nice as the progressives but you get what you pay for.
vulcanjoe am I wrong...??? Isn't 12mm smaller than 1/2"... I know it is a bit of overkill but for the sake of quick in head figures I have always said .4x, like .4 x 12mm = .48"...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
yes it is. thanks old dog i am losing my mind i know you have to ream the sportster shocks I think ours are 14 i will pull one off later to measure. but i was told you have to ream them.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
yes you have to ream them... the shock bolt size is closer to 5/8" standard than 1/2" if you are looking for a 2" drop, you need a set of 10" shockst our stock shocks measure 12" from eye to eye.

As for the lowering brackets, I took the template offered here in the gallery down to my local welding and fabricating shop to have them build... its going to cost me roughly 20 bucks to get them cut and drilled. the only draw back is the axle needs to be lenghtend...

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
thats why i was going to go the shock route

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I have an idea for the lowering brackets, that if it works, I will post the new updated ones that can still use the stock axle... just need to wait for them to get finished. (hence the welding shop)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
vulcanjoe am I wrong...??? Isn't 12mm smaller than 1/2"... I know it is a bit of overkill but for the sake of quick in head figures I have always said .4x, like .4 x 12mm = .48"...
Yes Old Dog, 12mm X 4 ~0.48" is a very close estimate.
1" = 25.4mm. so 12 mm =0.4724".

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
after measuring the shock mounts 14mm .551 inches per Blue Point digital caliper

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slim, please let me know if you have figured out to get away with not lengthening the rear shaft. That would be nice!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you say "ream out the holes", are you referring to the actual holes on the shock itself? Isn't there a rubber grommet where the hole is? Just kinda confused, thanks

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
there is a metal bushing inside the rubber grommet that has to be "opened up" just a little .051in. it is still safe you are not actually removing much material.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
When you say "ream out the holes", are you referring to the actual holes on the shock itself? Isn't there a rubber grommet where the hole is? Just kinda confused, thanks
Hmmm, I don't remember any rubber grommets in mine, could be CRS though...
Second, I wonder if you would be better off with a lowering block, as I don't think the older Sportster shocks have the best reviews, I know the older ones didn't seem too good but believe they improved them in the latter year mods., and I think I improved my 09 Sportster ride when I replaced them with Road King air shocks...
Later today I will measure my take off shocks and give you some measurements on them...There are different length shocks on the Sportster...(Customs, Lows, Rs, Ss, etc.)
Yep OHC, 12mm = 0.4724409449" or 120000000.00 angstroms but my yard stick don't read that close...lol...:beerchug:...

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
not actually grommets but the aftermarket ones on ebay have rubber bushings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got it, just a little off the inside diameter and it'll fit good as stock. Sounds easy enough....
If anyone on here has a set for sale, please let me know. I would rather buy from 1 of the brothers here 1st before ebay. Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts