Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Jacket Appears good

no collar, velcro wrists, lined, water-resistant... looks ideal.
price seems reasonable
WilliamTech
:lockd:

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
That looks like a nice jacket. If you got chilly you could always put a hoodie on under it.
It really comes down to what are YOU comfortable riding with. Comfort is in my opinion almost on par with items like armor and pockets and liners. If you aren't comfortable in your jacket you will be thinking about it and not about something more important.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
It's a mesh jacket with a mesh lining, meaning good for anything over 75 degrees. I'd say if you want something for near 100 degree temps, it would work but you'd be better off finding one that's not black.

Ideally you should have two jackets....a light colored mesh for HOT weather, and a non mesh jacket with a liner for cool to cold riding.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
KM's right about the light color. I first bought a black mesh jacket, and that sucker was hot. Have since replaced it with a good quality, lightly used white one from ebay. Cost was around $60.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I don`t have enough seat time in to make a very informed decision on this jacket, BUT a light colored or HI-VIZ jacket makes sense to me in all riding situations.

Cooler riding is one benefit of the lighter colors as mentioned by KM and fc, but being more easily seen by cage drivers may be even more important. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
If it's Kevlar mesh it will, but not many are made with Kevlar, and they aren't cheap! Most mesh jackets won't provide the level of protection of a full textile or leather jacket, but who's gonna wear leather or full textile when it's super hot? It's a trade off for riding when regular gear would cause heat stroke. Will provide a lot more protection than a T-shirt, which is what I see most folks wearing here in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Will that mesh stave road rash in the unforeseen?
They can. Many "mesh" jackets are not 100% all mesh. Likely contact areas are usually solid fabric, many with double layers....and let's not forget about the armor. Elbows, shoulders and backs, the areas that tend to hit the road first have either solid armor or impact resistant padding. An armored mesh jacket can provide just as much protection as an non mesh one, the variable being how much contact your dealing with.

An important note here. Most jackets have velcro cuffs to keep the sleeves from riding up your arm. Many leave these loose in hot weather so they can get more airflow. If you go down however, the sleeve can slide up, leaving your forearm naked to the pavement....

KM

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live in atlanta and wear a cortech jacket year round - I have a leather jacket as well - but the cortech fits better and is more comfortable - I n the winter I wear it with the lining in and in the summer I zip out the lining and open all the vents :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, normally I wear between an XL and XXL. XXL is usually more roomy. I'm 6'4". I ordered the XXL jacket and its really small. When I put my arms straight up the bottom of the jacket is at my belly button. I've never owned a proper riding jacket before. Is this an expected fit or do these jackets just run really small?

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I find my vented leather jacket is not bad on longer rides. Air flows in the cuffs and out the vents in armpits and back and perspiration keeps me pretty cool. One advantage to leather over mesh is that leather blocks 100% of the sun. Plus, in 100 degree weather all the direct airflow in the world is not going to keep you cool. City riding is another story.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Hmmm, normally I wear between an XL and XXL. XXL is usually more roomy. I'm 6'4". I ordered the XXL jacket and its really small. When I put my arms straight up the bottom of the jacket is at my belly button. I've never owned a proper riding jacket before. Is this an expected fit or do these jackets just run really small?
Motorcycle jackets are usually cut for your arms to be out in front of you..... Like when your holding onto the handlebars. There's no reason to raise your hands over your head.

Many jackets have zippers in back to attach them to riding pants....a good move as in a crash your jacket might ride up. Many have cinch straps to tighten them around your waist, but if your build is , well, let's say larger in the belly than the chest, a longer jacket or a one piece suit will offer better protection.

With your arms down, your jacket should not ride up, nor your sleeves. Most well made jackets also have straps to tighten the jacket around your upper arm, elbow and/or fore arm. Your usually better having a jacket that fits snug as opposed to loose.

While riding nothing should "flap" in the wind. Your cuffs should be able to be cinched so they can't ride up your arm.

If you go down, try and keep your arms pulled against your body....crossed in front of your chest can save your hands and arms from getting broken

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I couldn't return the jacket (clearance) so I pulled the tags off and wore it. As a big guy I'm used to wearing loose fitting stuff so the jacket felt a bit snug for me and was shorter than I'd normally wear. However, on a 30 minute ride it didn't ride up and was comfortable. So perhaps its just that its designed to be tighter so as to not flap around. I'll keep wearing it and see how it goes.

-Robert

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I have an old Perfecto leather I bought new in 1975...its tight, but I like that one that way for faster riding...for just cruising around local-like, I have a Dennis Hopper type brushed buckskin leather with fringes I usually leave open...I only wear leather when riding, or Carhart in winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts