Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m really considering taking off the wheels to either polish or paint the rims. I’m also thinking about changing my tires this year as well so I started looking at getting a small scissor jack. I’ve seen many of them from the $50 to $100 range so they look like they’d be a good investment and not take up much room when I’m not using it. As with anything else there’s details to consider, When I look under the bike and I see that the engine and the headers are both lower than the frame rails so where exactly are the jack points?
I’ve seen some jacks with adjustable mounts but I don’t think they’ll have the clearance to get under the bike. So I’m looking for suggestions as to what others have done.
Just to clear up the obvious, I’m well aware the bike has a center stand, I have not been able to get the bike up on it, I feel like I’m going to drop it and I always just say “f—k it”. Plus I thought I read that the center stand alone doesn’t provide enough clearance to remove the rear tire if I want to do the spline lube or what not.
Any help or insight would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Center stand might do it with stock size tires, after going oversized I had to use a floor jack with a 2x6 wood block under the engine to keep the tire off the ground with no weight on the front or rear.

I've heard decent reviews on the lift harbor freight sells, but haven't seen one in action.

Put all your weight on the foot pad of the center stand. ;)

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I’m not thin lol, I’m 5’8 and 215 so I must really just have bad center stand technique. But back to the jack, it sounds like you answered my question. So it’s ok to go directly under the engine block?

thinking something like this

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
If you back up the bike so the rear tire is up on a 2x6 or something similar, it’s a lot easier to put it up on the center stand. I had one of those drive up ramps for a car and used that.
If your taking off the wheels, after you remove the front wheel you can let the front forks rest on a block, which will give you plenty of room to pull the rear wheel off. Just don’t let it go too far down or it may collapse the center stand.
I just used the scissor jack that came with the car to hold up the front end. I used a piece of wood under the motor that I slotted to fit the top of the jack.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
As long as the lift has a flat surface like the one in the pic, directly under the engine is fine. You just don't want the weight all suspended on a 1-2" post, like a car jack without a wood block.

The one in the ebay link looks like it could be a pain to raise/lower with the handle on the end like that. Looks too long to turn sideways.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok good deal, appreciate the info. My biggest concern was whether or not I could rest all the weight on the motor itself and you guys have put that worry to bed. I’m definitely going to try the 2x6 to get it up on the stand as well. I have pieces of lumber left over from past projects.
As far as operating that jack, I saw a few that the hand lever comes off and you can use a socket wrench or power drill with a socket to crank it.
Thanks as always

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Yep, Walmart has the same jack and the socket does come off, that helps. An impact or air ratchet would launch it right up there.

Maybe try the center stand with another person for a spotter. Once you get the feel for it, it's not too hard.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So I’m really considering taking off the wheels to either polish or paint the rims. I’m also thinking about changing my tires this year as well so I started looking at getting a small scissor jack. I’ve seen many of them from the $50 to $100 range so they look like they’d be a good investment and not take up much room when I’m not using it. As with anything else there’s details to consider, When I look under the bike and I see that the engine and the headers are both lower than the frame rails so where exactly are the jack points?
I’ve seen some jacks with adjustable mounts but I don’t think they’ll have the clearance to get under the bike. So I’m looking for suggestions as to what others have done.
Just to clear up the obvious, I’m well aware the bike has a center stand, I have not been able to get the bike up on it, I feel like I’m going to drop it and I always just say “f—k it”. Plus I thought I read that the center stand alone doesn’t provide enough clearance to remove the rear tire if I want to do the spline lube or what not.
Any help or insight would be appreciated
I couldn't get the rear axle to drop below the exhaust when just on the center stand, and had to either get the center stand on a 1x4 (horribly hard, do not recommend) or hang the back of the bike off of a step going down a level from my driveway. I like knifemaker's idea of lowering the front, and wonder if instead of removing the front tire you could just compress the front shocks with a strap to get the needed additional clearance in the back.

Or, you know, buy the jack and live the easy life.(y)

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't get the rear axle to drop below the exhaust when just on the center stand, and had to either get the center stand on a 1x4 (horribly hard, do not recommend) or hang the back of the bike off of a step going down a level from my driveway. I like knifemaker's idea of lowering the front, and wonder if instead of removing the front tire you could just compress the front shocks with a strap to get the needed additional clearance in the back.

Or, you know, buy the jack and live the easy life.(y)
Ha, I think I want to get it on the center stand just as a matter of principle. I know it’s not a brute strength thing and all technique so I have to be able to say I did it for myself. At the same time, the engineer in me says “work smarter not harder!” So this will probably lead to a jack purchase sometime soon considering it’ll cost less than what I’ll pay to have one tire changed

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
If it helps any, I always feel like I could drop it too.

Instead of my right hand on the handlebar, I put it up in the triangle of the frame just under the seat. That way I'm not all stretched out and can pull in toward me if I'm really about to drop it.

Zip ties are great for mounting tires!

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it helps any, I always feel like I could drop it too.

Instead of my right hand on the handlebar, I put it up in the triangle of the frame just under the seat. That way I'm not all stretched out and can pull in toward me if I'm really about to drop it.

Zip ties are great for mounting tires!
I have plenty of ties, last time I worked on my tire to replace the valve I used ratchet straps and a small compressor to re-seat the bead. Just need to get another set of irons.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Won't need irons once you try the zip ties, no scratches either :) . Great for bikes, no good on ATVs.

Can't believe I never bought a lift. They just closed a bike shop, might go see what's left behind.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another question comes to mind here, when removing and reinstalling the front tire, do you remove the brake rotors? Or is there a trick to doing it without removing them, or maybe just remove one?

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I left the brakes intact and just dropped the wheel down.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t think my question was that clear after re-reading it, I have seen in almost every how-to video that they’re laying the tire on it’s side and kneeling on it to remove it and when popping the bead back on the rim. I’m questioning if I should take off at least one of the brake discs so I can lay the rim down on its side to do this.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perfect thanks, looking to keep the work as straightforward as possible

1 - 17 of 17 Posts