Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am.. sitting at my desk working on my senior thesis paper, looking out the window... Not a cloud in the sky, and the sun is as bright as ever...

Unfortunately, it is 11*F outside (last week it was -17*F). Every time I drive into my garage I see her sitting there alone in front of my truck: lonely, cold, and naked. Her saddlebags are inside the apartment with her tank and fenders. She's been there since November 13, waiting for the warm weather to come, hoping it will be April, and not may, when the roads are clear of road salt and ice/slush. She wonders why she had to switch owners and move to the UP of Michigan from Miami, FL. Alas, it's the sad life of a motorcycle that has to live in the Northern states... From riding everyday for 8 months, only to be replaced by an old Ford ranger for the next 4 months... that's usually grounds for a divorce... But, she hangs on, waiting for that day when I will assemble her and fire her up to take her for a long exciting ride across the Northern country side...

Ok, so I could have just said I miss my motorcycle, but that would have been boring...

For those of you who ride all year long, drive safe and enjoy it! For those of you like me, spring/summer will soon be here and our months of mourning our dear bikes will be over...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I guess I'm in the middle, but I share your grief...:(... But still looking forward to some fair and warmer weather...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bummer. I'm in Miami FL and had Black Bess out on the highway today. And I have to tell you it was glorious. Maybe you should consider relocating to where your languishing girl is from.

The only drawbacks is that So. FL is full of flat and straight - and when it's not flat and straight it's straight and flat. Plus in August, due to the heat, you lose about 5lbs of water at every stoplight. But it's pretty sweet mid-winter.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like my hills and turns and the trees up here in the Eastern UP, or the back roads in west Michigan back where my parents live, there's too many people in Miami, lol...

·
Registered
411 Posts
By the time I get my knee fully rehabilitated, I'm thinking that it will be warm enough for Serenity and I to go on a tour of the Texas hill country. I've already bought the bracket kit (waiting for it to arrive). Once I get the brackets installed, I can measure to see what size saddlebags I can put on her for doing a little touring this year. Gives me motivation to allow the therapists to continue torturing me each week...

--FA

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
By the time I get my knee fully rehabilitated, I'm thinking that it will be warm enough for Serenity and I to go on a tour of the Texas hill country. I've already bought the bracket kit (waiting for it to arrive). Once I get the brackets installed, I can measure to see what size saddlebags I can put on her for doing a little touring this year. Gives me motivation to allow the therapists to continue torturing me each week...

--FA
Are you going to make the vroc hillcountry ride a fredericksburg??? I went last yr. and plan on it this yr. It was a lot of fun. About 1,000 mile in 4 days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've wondered what it is like in Michigan in the winter, but I've heard the stories. We had our share of that cold blast everyone else had last week. Here in Northern Virginia it got down to 3 degrees. That is really cold for here. Average high this time of year is about 40 degrees and warm enough for a nice ride, weather permitting. I ride out to a small National Park sometimes twice a week in the winter and have free entrance with a senior pass. The attendants all agree I'm the only senior foolish enough to ride a bike out there the wintertime. I don't try to explain anything. Anyway, a nice ride with winter clothes often is nicely invigorating. Anyway, 99, hang in there, thanks for your thoughts, and good luck on the thesis.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
I had to put on my heated gloves today, it was really cold.... must have been down to 60. :doh:

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
I had to put on my heated gloves today, it was really cold.... must have been down to 60. :doh:
Hey EQ, got any info on good, relatively cheap heated gloves? Man, if had those I'd be out WAY more! Didn't even know they made them...

Supposed to be 48 and sunny this Friday (23-Jan) in Philly!! I get out of work at 2p.m. too!! If it is 48 and sunny I WILL be making my first ride of '09 a frickin looooooooooooong one!!!!!

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Hey EQ, got any info on good, relatively cheap heated gloves? Man, if had those I'd be out WAY more! Didn't even know they made them...
I bought Tourmaster gloves from www.i-bike.com (their physical store, about 30 miles of twisty roads away). The gloves pull 24 watts on high, so far all I've needed is the low setting. It's possible to get heated everything, including heated socks. However, the VN doesn't provide the power to run a full set of heated gear. =( (Check the Tourmaster info book page 13 for power requirements. The Verses say we can safely pull out 70 watts.)

Here in CA, it rarely gets below 50 even on cold days. The windscreen breaks the direct wind, so a thick sweater under a lined jacket is sufficient for the core. Having warm fingers makes the ride SO much more pleasant.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
60 is cold?! I wear thin leather driving gloves at that temp.! Below 40 I need my waterproof ski gloves. And to think I thought I didn't winter well.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Here in CA, it rarely gets below 50 even on cold days. The windscreen breaks the direct wind, so a thick sweater under a lined jacket is sufficient for the core. Having warm fingers makes the ride SO much more pleasant.
Gotta love Cali man. If it were 50 here I'd be in a tee shirt, jeans, boots and a helmet. I'm looking for heated gloves so 20 degrees doesn't stop me from ridin'. Thanks for the info on the gloves, I appreciate it...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Easy winters, $139.00 plugs into 12 volt system.
I wear glove inserts at 20 degree's, it helps tremendously, but a bit bulky on the fingers, i have 2 sizes, regular and large for the cold months like march in Nebraska i wear large with some mittens underneath, then i move onto the smaller pair in late april etc.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I received a pair of Olympia Wind-Tex gloves this year for Christmas. The person who gave them to me lives in Alaska, and bought them for me based on the recommendation of some riders up there. They're big enough that I can buy some silk liners to wear under them, if necessary. Can't wait to get out there and try them out...

NR - not sure if I'll make the VROC ride or not. Depends on the work and vacation time situation, among other things.

--FA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts