Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm riding into work this morning on the highway along my regular route. I am about to change lanes to prepare to exit onto a different highway, I glance over my shoulder and start to move to the right, then there's a loud noise in front of me. I couldn't believe it! The ladders from a painter's van in front of me fell off the top of the guys rack! Holy $&*%!! Thank God no one was on my right (it's a 2 lane exit, with a long run up). I had just glanced over and knew that it was clear so I was able to swerve around. Talk about an adrenaline rush!!! It was like the swerve exercise in the MSF course, but done at 65MPH in heavy traffic! Wow, my heart's racing just thinking about it!!

Watch out! Ride aware, stuff happens!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
No one should be riding in Jersey. Or driving. Or walking near a paved surface where something with wheels might come by unexpectedly. ;)

Glad you're ok - good thing you'd been paying attention all along!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Glad ya avoided those ladders!!! Did ya stop to give the guy hell about his crappy tie-down??

That's another reason to ALWAYS have an escape route planned, not just at an redlight/stopsign.
I constantly keep an eye on what's in front of, to the left of, to the right of, behind.... all around me, so if an unexpected "Oh $hit" move needs to be made, I have a good idea if the lane I need to go to is clear.

They're all out to get us!!! Be alert (we need all the lerts we can get!!)

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Last Friday, I was returning back to the inlaws from Colorado Springs. I had a great ride all the way up 115 and back without any incedents, traffic was light, and moving at a reasonable pace through the canyons. When I got into Canon City I stopped at the first traffic light with out problems, whent to the second traffic light and stopped behind a Semi Truck and trailer and there were about 5 or 6 cars behind me in the left lane and a dozen cars in the right. The light turned green and we all took off. then out of nowhere this guy shoots the intersection (RED LIGHT for him) and ziggs and zaggs through the cross traffic and about takes me out. Luckly I had been paying attention to him and was able to apply just enough brake at the same time swerving to the left to avoid him and the rest of the traffic. He had the gal to wave at me in apology. so I fallowed him to the hardware store to have a chat. (more specificaly to call the cops). He went inside for about 30 minutes, and when he came out he found me and 2 cops blocking his truck. Another cop was acrossed the street at the gas station reviewing the video survaliance. When they guy saw us he tried to run back into the store (don't know what he was thinking). I was called up at home later to go down to the station to file a report. When I got there my brother-in-law was there as well... I thought this was wierd, so I asked him what he was down there for...he told me that a guy who had been involved in a hit and run against a buddy of his had been picked up earlier that day for wreckless driving and evading the cops. (the hit and run was a fellow rider who was stopped at the same traffic light that the driver blew through the second time.)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad ya avoided those ladders!!! Did ya stop to give the guy hell about his crappy tie-down??
Trust me, there was no shortage of drivers stopping to give the guy a little feedback! I tried to pry my hands loose from the bars, and kept riding to work. I figured it was easier than trying to pry my hands from his throat!

It certainly woke me up though! :doh:

·
Registered
881 Posts
about 2 weeks ago i was riding to work when a garbage bag full of something rolled off a dodge ram pickup. i swerved around it & tried flicking my hi-beam to let the driver be aware that he is loosing cargo. the truck was over loaded with bags. i did not want another bag flying out at me so i poped it down to 4th and passed.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Stress ....
That feeling caused by NOT chocking the "stuffing" out of someone who desperatly needs it.

Good job avoiding disaster!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dutter,

In a non-bike related incident, actually ambulance related, we ran over a bag one time, my partner joked that he thought it was a body.

sure as sheet it was! Thats what I get for living in Rochester (we have the highest murder rate per capita in NYS and close to the top in the nation).

Oh i should mention it wasn't a human body...it was a deer carcus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts