Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 5.3 gallon vulcan clasic gastank (50 dollars for the tank )usind 4 dollars in hoses and 8 dollars in metal from the depot.... granted it need a lil more "work to dial in the looks but the extra 100+miles is all worth it I'm taking it out of town for a few days and I'll let ya know how it works out and hopefully be able to incluse a bunch of pictures for ya guys ... :rockon::beerchug::smiley_th

·
Registered
950 Posts
pic most def. Id love to have a bigger tank. these stink. and they way they sit i know i dont get all the fuel out of them.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are some quik pics i took with the camera phone.... on top of the tank it has a hole where the speedo goes on the bike it came off of i had to cut the top bracket (on the tank to clear the bars) at the bottom of the tank i had to install a piece of flat metal bent to hold the diffrent angle of the two tanks it also broght the seat up about an inch and the seat catches in the new bracket, for the top of the tank i welded a piece of 3/4 X 3 and 1/2 inch black iron pipe and two end caps wrapped in duct tape (the pipe they use for natural gas) is welded to the frame right at the joint were the frame tapers down spaller up by the tripple trees i stilll need to install spacers in the turn stops to reduce steering cuz at full turn the bars touch the tank.... I'm also thinking of a custom speedo for the hole on the top of the tank an or a compartment for my ipod but right now it works for my coffee cup holder im out of town for a couple weeks testing it out and if it works im gonna touch up my welds and install the steering stops... so far its working great about 60 miles so far... :rockon:

Attachments

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Looks good seebeeare. When you are finishing up the project, take some pics of the welds, stops, straps and hoses added underneath the tank, to make it fit. All of us DIYers are as interested in the process as the finished project you know!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Looks sweeet. i'd love to see some more pics from other angles. and an you have from during fabrication.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More pics comming as soon as i get home looks like my trip may be ending sooner then expected but this weekend at the latest...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Looks great, and at least another 100mi... Yeah when my bunch rides I usually get in a gas sweat before anyone else....lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looks good!!! Very interested in this mod and can't wait to see more pics!!

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Hey, that does look good. I am very interested in this mod! Are you going to put together detailed instructions for all of us when you are done?:smiley_th

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a couple more pics

Detailed is write up might be difficult cause i woulddnt weld anything on the bike till it was dry fit on, but i'll be more then happy to help with the ideas and throw backs, theres a couple things i would have done diffrently, in the close up pic instead of endcaps and duct tape i would have used real bumpers and a measured piece of pipe to fit more snug in the tank and spaced it up 1 inch or so to make it fit more snug and instead of welding a nut on the outside of the pipe i would have drilled and tapped the pipe, that pipe is welded to the frame right above the split in the frame its right on that joint , but i'd double check that one (one reason is i cant even identify what exact tank i have....

The aircleaners in the stock location aill get in the way of the tank so i swapped the right with the left and made them 180 degrees out they face the front wheel instead of covering the front of the moter and the new tank rests ontop of those,

I bought 4 feet of fuel line and 2 feet of vacum line but only used a foot or so of the vacum and 3 feet of the fuel but its one of those things id rather have the extra then not enough

I used the old petcock off the orig tank, i also had a sending unit laying around so i used the wire off of it to extend the one on the new tank the new tanks connector is the same the wire just wont reach so i added the 8 inches to make the connection (not sure on the accuracy of the fuel gage im down about a quater tank and sittin at 55 miles,) I'll fill you in on this one and if theres anyquestions feel free to ask...

I took off the side covers (up front ) to allow the tank to fit it also gives me access to the radiator cap.

I still havent put in steering stops trying to figure out how i want to do that i was thinking about tapping the cast and installing a nut to make them adjustable ir just welding on a pice of metal to the other side to make it perminant....

More detailed pics to come

Attachments

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Guys... the mod is on hold till i find a new take the bike was creamed today... Got hit by a car... im ok the bike needz a lot of tLC

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shift rod and footpeg to get her moving but gas tank and ears... tweak the bars .... is my best guess so far shes 30 miles away i just want her home to take care of...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad you're OK. Sorry to hear about your ride, though. When do you get her back home to assess the damage?

--FA

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you're OK. Sorry to hear about your ride, though. When do you get her back home to assess the damage?

--FA
as soon as i call a tow company or find a truck and trailer...glas to get her back from the island saves a bunch...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Awww man, Sorry to hear that, glad you're OK though... Get'r home and get'r fixed up better weathers a coming...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts