Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members, please help....
I just bougt a vn750 '87 with 24k miles on it. By norwegian measures, it seem to be a steal for only 1600 dollars. The bike seems well kept, no rust etc,but I bought it knowing that it had an starting issue.

I took it home, and fired it up, sure, the bike didnt run on cyl. 1, and furthermore, it ran porely in general. It also blew air in to the carbs, and there came a large pool of gas on the floor under the radiator.WTF!!.
I removed the plugs, and blew compressed air into the plughole on cyl.1. It held quite some gasolin...This couldnt be right, so I checked the oil level. Totally dark in the inspectionglass, so I desided to drain it. Good thinking, cause it contained a whole bucket, approx. 10 liters of a mix of gasoline and engineoil.

Obviously it wont fire on cyl.1 and furthermore forces the gas past the piston.
Ok, tried to check if there was valve issues, but couldnt see more than the one side due to the fact that I couldnt get the "lid" off the engine - too tight, but the one exhaust and intake valve i did see, seems to work fine.

Put it all together again, and fired it up once more to listen for "noises" There are none I could detect. It seems to run ok on cylinder 2, as it runs if I disconnect the plugcables on cyl.1. If i connect cables to cylinder 1, and disconnect cylinder 2 it stops.

Ooops, nearly forgot..it blows a lot of air out of the air-intake, so my final suspicion is that it must have something to do with the valves or a jumped timing belt.

The bike (before I baught it) initially was working fine, had just been serviced. Previous owner told me he had changed the plugs, and it ran ok. He parked the bike on the evening, started it up the next morning to notice that it ran porely, and with bad torque. He then parked the bike, and it stood for a full 16 months before I baught it.

Anyone who has a good idea what this could be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, sorted out at least one problem, possibly 2. The rockerarm had fell off the exhaustvalve. No wonder there were problems. Also, it seems that the timing alignment is off, but I must read some regarding this before I am sure. Just hope the valves is ok.... Will try to fix this issue without removing the engine...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also have an Vulcan (VN700) that has the oil/gas issue that you described. After reading your posts, I think I have a little more insight as to what may be wrong with my engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts