Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my first post in the newbie section I've read up on everything to do with carbs. Thanks for all the info. luckily my bike purchase included both the Clymer and Kaw. Service Manuals. My plan is to do the carb drain thing and compare the quality and amount of fuel released from each. I thought about removing the bottom plate from each carb for inspection while they are still on the bike, unless that is a waist of time? Please advise. If I have to I'm willing to pull the carbs and give them a cleaning. I want it fixed right. Can anybody recommend a brand name for the soaking solvent? in case. Thanks for any advise in advance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Are your air/fuel mixture screws adjusted correctly? 1 5/8 turns CCW. Did you check the boots of the carbs? are they tight against the head? Might be an air leak in one of the boots, or the vent hose that runs to the right side air filter might be blocked. Get the motor running, then spray the intake side of the boots with WD40, if the motor burps, then you have an air leak.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK lets look at the bike one more time tonight. It started right up and idles fine. How can that be, the night before the surgery. OK, a short test ride. Idles fine at every stop, runs fine at low rpms, and has plenty of power at take off. It sat for two days, the only thing I did before starting it was to open and then close the gas tank. Any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I put Seafoam in three days ago and have run threw about a 1/2 tank. could that have fixed it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it out again tonight after it finely stopped raining. I do believe it's fixed. Seafoam or carb removal, you decide.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Getting ideas on EFI for our bikes

nvm, i thought i had set this to a new post..... dur

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
trsm - where are you located? It stopped raining here tonight.

There is a reason that all us Seafoam users recommend using Seafoam to fix your carb problems. Like I tell everyone else, it's majick! For instance, I've never had trouble with my motorcycle carbs (yet), but I had a hell of a time with my lawnmower at the start of this mowing season. After wearing myself out and nearly dying from heat stroke trying to start it - I decided to take the carb off and clean it (as suggested in all the info I could find on the 'net about these Honda mowers). After fiddling with it for a couple of hours, I came to the conclusion that the carb was put on the chasis first, and the engine was bolted to it. As in - I couldn't figure out how to get it off. So, in desperation, I poured some Seafoam in the tank, and turned the fuel back on, and then left it overnight. The next morning, I gave it a pull. It tried to start. Hmmm. I gave it another pull, and it started right up. Starts first pull ever since.

The moral of the story is this - if you think you need to clean the carbs, run some Seafoam through instead. In most cases it will fix your problem. I believe it has to do with the naptha. You can clean clothes without getting them wet, so naptha must be a powerful reagent.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Everyone needs a little majick in thier lives...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm right between Dallas and Fort Worth. Something called the Midcities.

I'd never heard of Seafoam until I started reviewing this group. Thanks for the magic.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Oh yeah, there are so many posts from different people on here that I forget who I've typed to. Put it in your membership info so it will appear with your post - that way I won't ask you again. Or just put up with my eccentricities.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Ernie, no wonder!
You also have record for the most posts per member..
Members: 1,275
Threads: 2,728
Top Poster: cegodsey (1,672)

*L* And I've been here since the very beginning!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It's called no life. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at some stuff last night about loud stock pipes, I'm glad my handles not rector. I'll add some personal info next time.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It must be the electric hair.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
You think it would be an attractive force, but most women find it shocking.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
That will teach you to conduct yourself better next time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts