Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike ran great for 3 weeks and has resumed stalling, surging, sputtering and backfiring. It is far worse than it was before. It will only idle when I crank it way up and stalls like crazy.

I couldn't get the surging at idle on the video as I was in traffic and didn't have much time.

Unhappy bike: http://youtu.be/1jri45MED9U

Any ideas? I want this fixed once and for all as it cut off on me today while I was crossing a busy road and I am now a few bricks lighter.

The backfiring is MUCH louder this time around. Before it was a loud popping now it is like gunshots.

·
2,505 Posts
Do you use any gas treatment like Seafoam. A lot of times is a carb issue.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I am earshaved but I'll try.
Earshave doesn't matter. Actually will make it easier to check. On the boots there is a little nub of rubber that should line up with a little bump on the top of the cylinder intake. Like a little half a pea size.

You can see it in this p[icture at the bottom of the boot. looks like a mistake almost. But that diggle hanging off down there, lines up with s similar bump on the cylinder head.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Performed the WD40 test and nothing happened. Sprayed it around the boots as instructed.

Also performed the blowback procedure. I am unsure if it did anything substantial.

I did notice when i took off the pods that the front carb slide and "mouth" area was soaked in fuel. I've not seen this any of the other times that I looked at or removed the carbs.

I have attached 2 vids that i took after the blowback.

The first video i tried to capture the surging while riding. It was popping and light backfiring pretty badly just prior to the video. I think i captured some of it. As i rode it became less and less prevalent.

The 2nd video i was trying to show what it does at different RPMS and an annoying ticking noise that is on both jugs but more so the rear.

I am planning on doing the ACCT to MCCT conversion and am wondering if I NEED to do it and if the ticking will go away if i do.

http://youtu.be/unwqWfIqpzc

http://youtu.be/p-0xvOeymYA

,mike

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i cant tell about the surging issues but i can say that you need to do the acct conversion and it will help us diag the other issues

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bike died multiple times while trying to get to work this morning and would not rev past 5k. Had to turn back.

Gonna spend the day working on the carbs, mcct conversion, AGM battery, new plug wires. Hopefully I can get this resolved. I need my bike healthy. Losing a day of work is not cool.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completed the MCCT conversion, carb clean, new wires, new battery. Tried to fire her up at the end of the day and NO SPARK!!

Started on her around noon and just finished at 11:45pm. Too exhausted to continue for now.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
With key on engine off check for voltage at the red wire on the coils

No voltage something aint plugged in right in the harness

Less than 12 volts do the ignition coil relay mod

12+ volts your new wires aren't making contact probably at the coil

Hope this helps

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed the no spark issue. The prior owner did not do the wires properly and when i mimicked his work w/ the new wires it didn't work.

I redid it by stripping the last 1/4in. of the insulation off both ends and bending the conductor back.

Here is a new video of how she sounds w/ the MCCTs adjusted.

http://youtu.be/OHdglRfyxIo

I rode her out to road and a few lights and she seems much happier. I will see how she does tomorrow when i head to work.

,mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well she ran wonderful for 10 miles this morning and went right back to her old stuttering crap....at least the ticking has been resolved.

The only parts left for me to change on the carb are the float needles and coast enricheners.

i just dont get how she runs fine for a short period and then starts up again.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Does sound like a carb issue. SeaFoam might help... Cleaning the carbs of course won't last if your gas tank is full of crud. You might want to check that out too.
Have you checked out the fuel tank ?
Open the fuel tank & look into examine tank real well....look rusty ?

hth
:smiley_th

·
4,508 Posts
Tank looks clean and I recently rebuilt petcock. Filters in tank look clean as well.
Looks like a carb pull coming up next.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just full cleaned it last thursday. completely tore it apart, soaked, scrubbed, ran thin wire through the small tubes, blew it out w/ air. Diaphragms were replaced, jets replaced (part of earshave) the only parts that have not been replaced are the float needles and coast enricheners.

·
4,508 Posts
Post #9
mcharles13
Performed the WD40 test and nothing happened. Sprayed it around the boots as instructed.

Also performed the blowback procedure. I am unsure if it did anything substantial.

I did notice when i took off the pods that the front carb slide and "mouth" area was soaked in fuel. I've not seen this any of the other times that I looked at or removed the carbs.
? ? Float Needle sticking ? ?

I just full cleaned it last thursday. completely tore it apart, soaked, scrubbed, ran thin wire through the small tubes, blew it out w/ air. Diaphragms were replaced, jets replaced (part of earshave) the only parts that have not been replaced are the float needles and coast enricheners.
....seems to mess up only after bike reach's operating temp ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts