Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Pull the mufflers and goat (power chamber) off.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Once you remove the stock muflers from the pipes look into the end that goes twards the motor. You will see a screen, drill that out and you will see almost streight pipe with the goatbelly removed.
Sounds great, this is what it will look like when done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have stock pipes. can u guys give me a step by step process as to "DeGoating" please i am new to this bike. and forum.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Want a quick way, simply remove the mufflers! Then put turn downs in place or leave alone... That is one step up in volume. I bought the bike with that set up, but never heard it as it didn't run then. I'm almost finished making my own exhaust on her now. Still she isn't running, but will be soon.

·
2,505 Posts
Ok whats the cheapest and easiest way to make my stock pipes louder?
The cheapest was is to take off the mufflers & remove the "goats belly" and replace the short piece that the goats belly took up on either side with a piece of exhaust pipe and put it back together. Make sure the exhaust is sealed up with no leaks. You could always remove the screen later after you try that 1st because once you start cutting things you can't put them back the way they were.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Leave the goats belly there, just remove the mufflers. As mentioned you can spend a few bucks and put on some angled tips. (will keep your tire from catching fire.)

Option two...leave the mufflers there and remove the goats belly. You'll have to find the right sized pipe to replace it on each side.

Option three, my favorite, is to leave the exhaust alone. All your neighbors will like you, you will be able to hear your granddaughter talk when your old, and you'll keep the public at large from hating bikers even more.

All the changes mentioned, other than the last one, do not make your bike faster, or perform better. Quite the opposite really.

My last and best compromise here is for you to buy some strong in the ear hearing aids....This way the bike will sound louder to YOU, but won't to all the rest of us that will end up hearing it.

:)
KM

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Leave the goats belly there, just remove the mufflers. As mentioned you can spend a few bucks and put on some angled tips. (will keep your tire from catching fire.)

Option two...leave the mufflers there and remove the goats belly. You'll have to find the right sized pipe to replace it on each side.

Option three, my favorite, is to leave the exhaust alone. All your neighbors will like you, you will be able to hear your granddaughter talk when your old, and you'll keep the public at large from hating bikers even more.

All the changes mentioned, other than the last one, do not make your bike faster, or perform better. Quite the opposite really.

My last and best compromise here is for you to buy some strong in the ear hearing aids....This way the bike will sound louder to YOU, but won't to all the rest of us that will end up hearing it.

:)
KM
Sounds comical but there is a lot of truth to KM's comments. (Did I really just write that about KM? lol) If you really want to remove the stock exhaust with the Goat's Belly be sure you understand all that is involved and the possibility that your power will drop as will your mpg. Decide on your specific reasoning behind having louder piper and compare that to the possible end results before you do any cutting or drilling. In the end, be sure it is what you really want.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I did remove the goat, driled out the screens adn did not loose any MPG, and if I lost power I did not notice any.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Loud pipes do not save lives. That being said why do you want them loud?

·
Registered
319 Posts
1) I don't have loud pipes, still have the stock pipes. I do like not waking the neighbors if I have to leave early or come in late but,

2) You gottal love the sound of a good rumbling motorcycle

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I still have the stock pipes too, and they are plenty loud enough for me.
I would like a deeper tone, but do not particularly want them any louder.

I do not believe the old mantra that "Loud pipes save lives."
Most of the potential danger that a motorcyclist faces is in front of the bike between the 10 o`clock and 2 o`clock position.
The cages out front are not going to even hear the loud pipes until you are beside or even past them.

Loud pipes irritate your neighbors, other motorists and other bikers behind you, especially on a group ride.

I do subscribe to the idea that loud pipes threaten our right to ride in certain areas.
We either learn to discipline ourselves, or somebody else will impose laws forcing discipline on us.

·
Registered
131 Posts
All I did with mine was de-goat, mufflers are still stock. I think it gives it a deeper tone, a little louder but not obnoxious. I also have not noticed any drop in power output, and my MPGs are the same as before. Note: I adjusted the enricher screws to smooth the idle (which then needed adjusting) and get the plug color right.

Dad has a 750 Shadow with Cobra shotgun pipes. I hate it. I think it's too loud if you're riding or following it. The harmonics at highway speed drive me nuts cuz it interferes with the sound of my own bike, and I think mine is running rough. If I drop back (quite a ways) or ride solo, everything sounds fine.

I like a little tone to my bikes, but there is such a thing as too much (unless we're talking about a track bike, that's a whole different animal).

Hippie

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I wanted a certain sound also, so I experimented with a few options:

Removed goats belly with a bypass kit - too loud of a POP POP type noise an ran like ****(no back pressure).

removed mufflers and left goats belly in place - really deep rumble and sounded sweet....but too loud and the rumble shook up my shed so bad that things were falling off the shelf.

I decided to keep the stock exhaust and simply drill 4 holes on the rear exhaust plate. this gave it a little better (deeper) rumble sound at idle, but not annoyingly loud at higher speeds.

I may go back and remove the inner screens some day if I want to go louder, but as said previously, that can not be reversed.

The other option would be replacing the stock mufflers with Dyna mufflers off a Harley (factory take offs are abundant and cheap). you can even play around with the Dyna baffles and get the sound you want.

These are simply my observations and my opinions on the sound and performance when I experimented....take it for what it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine had tips on it when I got it and I always found myself creeping through the neighborhood so I wouldn't annoy the neighbors. I put the stock mufflers back on and like it much better. I met a guy on a blind corner that cut through my lane and wonder if the loud pipes would have made a difference, but he had his windows up and I wasn't under power obviously so I doubt it. That's my first experience at taking evasive action but I did okay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts