Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I drilled out the baffles on the stock pipes. Now I have been noticing more of a high frequency vibration through the seat. Does this normally happen after drilling the baffles, or do I need to start looking at more serious issues?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I drilled mine last week and other than the sound, I see and feel no difference.Four 3/8 holes is what I went with for comparison.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It does sound like a high pitched but chewing ,you may have something there KM:wow:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So a few weeks ago I drilled out the baffles on the stock pipes. Now I have been noticing more of a high frequency vibration through the seat. Does this normally happen after drilling the baffles, or do I need to start looking at more serious issues?
I drilled mine last week and other than the sound, I see and feel no difference.Four 3/8 holes is what I went with for comparison.
So what is the verdict after drilling the baffles? Do you get a deeper tone and rumble , or just louder?:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I like the way it sounds hoss,but like always it needs a little something still ,it is a deeper sound an not obtrusively loud,but that is a matter of perspective I guess,considerably louder than stock but nowhere near as loud as the old Harley was with 2" shorty Drag pipes with no baffles. I read somewhere that " IQ is inversely proportional to the number of decibels an individual can tolerate".... I 'm not sure but seeing $500 vehicles and hearing them before I see them ,with $4000 stereos in them has me leaning toward believing that it may be true.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did 8 3/8 holes. Sounds better with no helmet. Not really louder, just different tone. Deeper. With helmet it's kinda not good. not sure how to describe it. but my ears ring. If I wear earplugs and helmet, its horrible.

I have to check some other stuff. Cuz I just noticed yesterday that after removing the tins for painting that my front fender bolts were working themselves out. So now I have to check to rear. The front was giving me a clunking noise. So maybe the rear is vibrating.

But I think that the exhaust tone is changing the vibration. I mean this bike has always had a high frequency vibration. My hands get kinda buzzy after a long ride. I got some exhaust of my bro-inlaw harley I am going to try those out. they seem like they will go back further on the bike, so the sound will be further away from me. So the vibrations might be better. I also have bags so they might be trapping the vibrations right now. Also I have been thinking of getting the bar end weights that Kuri makes. That should help there, I hope. But my rear still needs help.

I hate these kinda things.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Also I have been thinking of getting the bar end weights that Kuri makes. That should help there, I hope. But my rear still needs help.
The bar ends are great, I use them and they make a difference, but wish they were made of steel for more weight. They'd be easy to make if you know someone with a lathe and drill press.

You may need to balance your carbs to smooth out your engine. Do you have your stock ears on or filter pods? I've been told many times by good wrenches that if you use pods with CV carbs, it's more difficult to balance the system. I tend to believe this after removing my air box.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have balanced the carbs already. did that the start of spring. I have the stock ears. And as far as I understand things the CV carbs don't need much balancing.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There`s a link to a website that I can`t find right now, where the guy has a couple of pieces of 3" chromed truck exhaust tips a foot long or so. They were welded onto stock mufflers, I think, and were supposed to have a deeper rumble sound. I would like something with a deeper rumble w/o being louder.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
There`s a link to a website that I can`t find right now, where the guy has a couple of pieces of 3" chromed truck exhaust tips a foot long or so. They were welded onto stock mufflers, I think, and were supposed to have a deeper rumble sound. I would like something with a deeper rumble w/o being louder.
I thinik this is the site you're talking about. Looks pretty cool.
http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/radner/499/

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That is the one I was looking for. I thought there was a link at the LINKS function at the top of the page, but could not find it last night. I also like that they are the same length and not staggered.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent taken our mufflers off to know, and I usually ride with bags on. But are the mufflers on our bike actually two different lengths or is it the way they connect to the goat?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I havent taken our mufflers off to know, and I usually ride with bags on. But are the mufflers on our bike actually two different lengths or is it the way they connect to the goat?
If you look at a goats belly, you'll see that the exit flanges on both sides facing the rear of the bike are at different locations, one further back than the other. That's why the mufflers are staggered.:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
. Also I have been thinking of getting the bar end weights that Kuri makes. That should help there, I hope. But my rear still needs help.

I hate these kinda things.
This is the first time that I have heard of bar end weights.
Is that what those cone shaped pieces are on the end of some Kury grips? I thought they were just chrome bling.
Do I understand correctly that they dampen vibration in the handle bars as well?:confused:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the first time that I have heard of bar end weights.
Is that what those cone shaped pieces are on the end of some Kury grips? I thought they were just chrome bling.
Do I understand correctly that they dampen vibration in the handle bars as well?:confused:
Nope not referring to the cones. I saw recently they have bar end weights. I don't know what they weigh, I just know the heavier they are the better they are supposed to be with helping reduce vibrations. seen guys use them on sport bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In general, vibration diminishing of streamlined heat-transmitting elements is achieved by (e.g., decreasing the flow velocity) clearing of faults in damaged tubes, rearrangement of tubes to make passages for a coolant, replacement of damaged tubes by bars, mounting of regulating baffles at the coolant inlet in the heat exchanger, and appliances reducing damping and tube stiffness. Bearing in mind that the strongest vibrations are observed in the first rows of tube assemblies, tube clips in midspan, stiffness-girdling rings, and other appliances reducing vibration amplitude can be mounted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts