Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wants forward controls...
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Existing iso grips were getting pretty worn. Ordered a new set. Threw them on today and thought ok, that was easy. After letting the glue dry, I test them out only to find that my throttle no longer returns. I didn't damage the tube and I haven't done anything crazy like glue the grip to the run control. Throttles up without issue and just sticks. I can feel tension in the push and pull cables.

Haven't removed them yet, because I don't have anymore WD40 handy. Any suggestions? What have I done here?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Are the grips wedged against the electrical pod?

·
Registered
796 Posts
It sounds like you pushed the grip on too far and it is bottoming out on the handlebar end. Pull the grip out just a bit and see if that helps. The handlebar end sticks out just a tiny bit through the throttle sleeve.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
It sounds like you pushed the grip on too far and it is bottoming out on the handlebar end. Pull the grip out just a bit and see if that helps. The handlebar end sticks out just a tiny bit through the throttle sleeve.
x2 this happened to me when I put on my iso grips. I pulled on it just a bit when I was dry fittling it and snapped back like it should. Just give it a shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No help to you, but I have to say it becuase I just feel dumb.

I got to thinkin bout how my throtle dont go back to easy eather. so I went out to the shed to take a look and see if I had the same issue. come to find out its my cruise controle (mechanical) that keeps tenshon on the grip. The cruise was there when I bout the bike 6 years ago and I use it every ride.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
No help to you, but I have to say it becuase I just feel dumb.

I got to thinkin bout how my throtle dont go back to easy eather. so I went out to the shed to take a look and see if I had the same issue. come to find out its my cruise controle (mechanical) that keeps tenshon on the grip. The cruise was there when I bout the bike 6 years ago and I use it every ride.
Clark47, it sounds like you are not describing a true cruise control, but more accurately, just a throttle lock. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
OlHoss, Good call. I'v always wondered what it was realy called/considered. I just coundt think of anything else to call it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Which Kury grips are right for our bikes? I've read about people recommending different ones, but would like to know for sure, as they are a probably upgrade, as my right wrist has a problem, and my hand tends to go numb from vibration after a while...

Thanks!

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
If I remember right, the 7/8" ones???

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
My fingers also go numb.....I use the $10.95 "Wrist Buster" ....works for me !

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`ve read that the 7/8" grips for the Goldwing are a little longer on the right side, which gives you a little more clearance for a "Wrist Buster" or a "Cramp Buster" palm rest on the end of the grip.

That sentence is not so clear. What I mean is when you are not using the crampbuster, there is more room for your hand on the grip between the palm rest and the electrical switches with the longer grip. Clear as mud now??

Video link for anyone not familiar with the crampbuster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEdD05zFxk&NR=1

·
Registered
796 Posts
Which Kury grips are right for our bikes? I've read about people recommending different ones, but would like to know for sure, as they are a probably upgrade, as my right wrist has a problem, and my hand tends to go numb from vibration after a while...

Thanks!
I bought the standard Kury 7/8" grips with the 2 cable throttle sleeve already on the grip. That makes it easy to install.

·
Wants forward controls...
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I`ve read that the 7/8" grips for the Goldwing are a little longer on the right side, which gives you a little more clearance for a "Wrist Buster" or a "Cramp Buster" palm rest on the end of the grip.

Video link for anyone not familiar with the crampbuster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEdD05zFxk&NR=1
They definitely are. I replaced the Goldwing size with the standard size and noticed the difference right away. Hadn't intended to do it, but didn't mind it, so it stuck. I lost about an inch and a half. I actually find myself getting comfortable more quickly on them now. Before, I had been moving my hand back and forth just because I could.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts