·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Appears physically large
...also, unsure how effective they would be...
:smiley_th

Would this make a decent bulb to use in aux. driving lights?

I wouldn't use it for headlight bulb unless I was already pulling too much juice and needed to shave some off. Don't want to overload the R/R with too much excess power to bleed off.

I thought I could use it in a driving light housing, in place of a halogen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121037305753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Ill stand behind a Cree led. They are very bright & will cast a good bit of light.
I have that type of led in the light on my 45 & I'm quite pleased with it.

Don't expect it to light your world at night but it will help you be seen.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's mainly what I want, a light bar and some lights for daytime, probably won't ride much at night other than in town. Wouldn't hurt for them to be good for night riding though.

So, to figure our total power usage, we just add up all the watts on each bulb? I noticed the automotive license plate light bulb I got was about half the stock wattage.

It looks to me like the correct setup to keep the charging system happy is one where you're using most of what the stator produces, balanced with just enough left over to charge the battery.

I should maybe wait until I have it running, might end up needing halogens or something. Not sure I have what I need to measure the output.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did read that and might end up going that route, with one of your light bars.

Just starting to think about items like this, saddlebags, windshield, etc., now that I'm almost done with the engine and getting on the road soon.

If I'm making plenty of power, I might leave the stock turn signals and put four white lights on the bar, instead of 2 lights with turn signals. Not sure how that would look, or work with the turn signals in the stock position.

What got me started on this bulb.. I found a deal on some chrome lights which have incandescent bulbs, they would look ok on top of a bar with a smaller light underneath.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The bulb you posted, and many others like it seem bright, but the problem is they are not very good at scattering light in a normal housing designed for incandescent light bulbs.
Deflected LED light drops off considerably in brightness when the beam is deflected or reflected.

This is why I chose the forward facing high output LED bulb that has an internal deflector and lens built in. They will do a MUCH better job than sticking a bulb into a housing that was not designed for it.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone... Best not to go this route if I also want good lights at night. Might be ok for daytime or just for looks, but wouldn't be fully functional as nocturnal navigational aids.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
have you seen my thread on the Optronics Light kit with the LED bulbs in it?

It gets people's attention during the day AND lights up the night very well.

Check my thread.....also note the photos on post #23 and after.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21327&page=3
Last weekend I checked out the brightness of KC's LightBar Aux. LED Lights, although it was daylight, these lights were able to nearly blind me from a distance of 10' ...was impressed with daylight brightness.

:smiley_th +1

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The light bar comes with the Optronics lights?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts