Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 2006 Vulcan 750 for sale for 2300 dollars. It has 1100 miles on it. Looks awesome from the pictures. I am 6'3 with a long inseam. Totally new to motorcycles. Would this be a good bike for me to modify to fit me and ride for a few years on short rides? What about for my dad, who is getting back into riding? He is 6'1. We both weight around 165 lbs. Also worried about Stator replacement though we very mechanically inclined and work in mechanical field. Wondering if we should go strait to a vn 900 though cash is tight.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Welcome to the nuthouse. These are good bikes and run real well.read the Vulcan verses. I would make sure it's charging.might also wanna introduce yourself in the newbie section;)

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and while it felt fine, when looking at pictures of me on the bike, I looked like a goon. No problems with power, though. They are fine bikes and there are plenty of parts out there.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Paid 1100 for my 86 a few years ago. It was my first bike, worked out fine. I'm 6'2-6'3 - It's not as big as some bikes but I don't think I look ridiculous on it.

Check the charging with a multi-meter. You want to see north of 14v DC @ 5000RPM directly on the battery.

For that year and mileage, you should be fine as long as she's in running condition. The tires may be at the point you want to change them, just due to the age.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I'm 6'0" and had to get used to the short leg room. Highway pegs would pretty much take care of that though.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
11000 miles and age of tires if original set I would replace, make sure you do a spline lube while you have the rear off!! quick easy procedure that will save you tons of hardship on this bike! I would do it personally and not rely on a shop to tell you they did it!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Got any pics?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
1100 or 11,000? If 1100, it's a brand new bike, go for it. If 11,000, it may already have some spline damage because Kawasaki did not lube the splines at the factory. Replacing the stator is a lot of work, but not difficult, just time consuming. With the exception of removing and reinstalling the carbs, the Vulcan 750 is no more difficult to work on than any other bike till you get deep inside the engine. And I have found a couple of tricks that make removing and installing the carbs a lot easier than it was the first time I did it.

If the tires are good (good tread and no cracks) I would probably go ahead and wear them out. But I don't recommend that. I ride mostly straight up on interstates. As tires age, they harden (which can actually make them last even longer) but they don't have the traction of a newer tire, you can lose traction on slippery surfaces or from leaning the bike over a bit to far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts