Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as part of washing out the rust inside my fuel tank, I removed the petcock and the fuel gauge sender. When I put everything back together I initially put the sender unit in rotated 90 degrees, thinking the wire lead was supposed to point straight back towards the seat, but then realized (when the unit wouldn't really fit in that way) that I should check the diagram in the Clymer book again, which showed that it actually points to the left side of the tank. D'oh!

At first I tried rotating the unit in place, but it got stuck on something. I then had a devilish time getting the arm and the float back out of the tank, and put it back in the right way. But -- you guessed it -- what with all that monkeying around, I've bent or broken something and the fuel gauge is now stuck on "E". (Yes, I did double check that I reconnected the sender unit to the battery.)

Do I have any recourse but to buy a new sender unit? They're pretty expensive, about $70.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Do I have any recourse but to buy a new sender unit? They're pretty expensive, about $70.
I have never had a bike wth a gas gauge, before. I would be sooooo tempted to let it be and use the trip counter.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never had a bike wth a gas gauge, before. I would be sooooo tempted to let it be and use the trip counter.
Well at a $70 part that's the angle I'm leaning towards, unless I find one for $40 used one or less on eBay, but then again if they're so fragile* then how could I trust a used one more than the one I had already that worked until I futzed with it?

*Fragile in the sense that it couldn't stand eventually frustrated twisting, shaking and tugging... :baby:

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Well at a $70 part that's the angle I'm leaning towards, unless I find one for $40 used one or less on eBay, but then again if they're so fragile* then how could I trust a used one more than the one I had already that worked until I futzed with it?

*Fragile in the sense that it couldn't stand eventually frustrated twisting, shaking and tugging... :baby:
let me take a pic of one for ya and see if we can get some angles off it check back tomorrow about 3 your time...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The vent tube that runs through the inside of the tank is what makes the reinstall difficult. If seebeeare can post some good pictures, you should be able to bend the float arm back close to where it was. I wouldn't buy a replacement until the old one is broken.

I couldn't get mine to easily go back the way I thought I removed it (facing forward) and wound up facing it to the rear. Didn't think there was enough room for the float arm to fit facing either side. Now it always registers full. So until my petcock rebuild parts come in, I'm just going to go by the trip meter. I'll sort it out after that.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
The vent tube that runs through the inside of the tank is what makes the reinstall difficult. If seebeeare can post some good pictures, you should be able to bend the float arm back close to where it was. I wouldn't buy a replacement until the old one is broken.

I couldn't get mine to easily go back the way I thought I removed it (facing forward) and wound up facing it to the rear. Didn't think there was enough room for the float arm to fit facing either side. Now it always registers full. So until my petcock rebuild parts come in, I'm just going to go by the trip meter. I'll sort it out after that.
when i put my tank back on i forgot the plastic cover and the sending unit grounded out and reg full i replaced the plastic cover and walla guage works again ...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My plastic cover is on. I'm thinking I installed it backward. Anyone know which direction the sending unit float is supposed to be facing when properly installed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts