Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The site where I bought my MOSFET r/r said this about the stator testing, "take a lamp with a 100w bulb, connect the cord to any 2 of the three stator leads, start the bike, raise the rpm's, and the bulb should light up if the stator is good." He says the ac voltage is not correct if the (circuit) has no service drainage on it,
I just lifted this quote from Chuck A. on another thread.

I`m no electrical expert, but the statement sounds logical to me.
What, if anything, does this mean with respect to accuracy of the stator test where we expect to get 50-70 VAC from each set of wires.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I just lifted this quote from Chuck A. on another thread.

I`m no electrical expert, but the statement sounds logical to me.
What, if anything, does this mean with respect to accuracy of the stator test where we expect to get 50-70 VAC from each set of wires.
I would suspect that it would take at lest 50 to 70 VAC to make a 100 watt light 110v bulb to light up any where near normal,but it would leave you in the dark(pun intended) as to what an accurate voltage reading would be,You can buy fairly accurate DVOM's for cheap these days.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suspect that it would take at lest 50 to 70 VAC to make a 100 watt light 110v bulb to light up any where near normal,but it would leave you in the dark(pun intended) as to what an accurate voltage reading would be,You can buy fairly accurate DVOM's for cheap these days.
I guess I should be clearer with my question.
Is a 50-70 vac reading on a dvom accurate w/o a load in the circuit?
Will the reading be the same with or w/o the load?
How important is the difference to the readings we have been relying on to determine if a stator is good or bad?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I guess I should be clearer with my question.
Is a 50-70 vac reading on a dvom accurate w/o a load in the circuit?
Will the reading be the same with or w/o the load?
How important is the difference to the readings we have been relying on to determine if a stator is good or bad?
a: yes
b: any difference would be negligible
c: not at all

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
As dariv said any difference in stator output voltage between open circuit and load will be negligible. How accurate does the measurement need to be? Low cost DVMs are typically about 1 - 2 % accurate for a DC measurement. For AC RMS measurements they are designed for accuracy for a 60Hz sine wave. So the measurement of any AC waveform that differs from 60Hz or is non-sinusoidal will have increased error. How much error depends on the design of the meter and the characteristic of the stator output waveform. For our stator check purpose it doesn't matter. Even 10-15% error is probably accurate enough.

If you have a meter, the health of the stator should really be checked as stated in the Kaw service manual. (0.3-0.5 ohm winding resistance; open to ground). The 100W light bulb check is probably a good quick check for those that don't have a meter.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I figured if 50-70 volts was a close enough test, that the load a 100 watt bulb put on the circuit couldn`t be too important to the diagnosis of a healthy stator.:smiley_th

1 - 6 of 6 Posts