Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Went to change my oil for my annual oil change in the spring and when I dumped out, I noticed what appeared to be very, VERY fine shavings of aluminum in the oil, so fine that you cant even see it on your finger when you dip it into the oil... Now, I could not see it, or even noticed it with my normal garage lights on (It was dark outside) but when I turned on my LED headlamp on and pointed into the oil, I noticed it right away!! Took my finger in the oil and swirled it around and all the particles swirled with it.... I checked the screen as I always do and there are just a few, very tiny flakes of aluminum in there...They are so small, and I cant even pick them up with my fingers.

I have never noticed this before in my oil, but then again I haven't seen the oil with a bright LED before either.... My bike is a 2000 VN750 and I got this from my Dad who bought it with only 10,000 miles on it back in 2003 and I got it a few years ago with 28,000 miles on it. It now has 36,000 on it and its been ridden gently.... The oil been changed an average of every 1,700 miles since new. My dad changed it every spring, even if he only drove a few hundred miles on it that year and he kept up on all the maintenance, always.

This bike did however sit for about 4-5 years until he gave it to me, knowing he couldent ride it anymore due to his age. Anyway, do any of you have any ideas of what this could be?? The engine has always been a bit noisy, but from what I have read in these forums, its pretty normal... I dont hear anything different that I always do but now Im afraid to even start it, knowing It possibly may cause more damage....

Anyway, if any of you have experienced this, I really would appreciate some guidance here...Thank you for your time!! When I get home after work, I can post some pictures of the oil if anyone is interested...

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
Well, you halve two options in my opinion. As it seems the bike runs fine and nothing other than the visual evidence something may be wrong.....
You can either 1. tear it apart and look for they issue, or...
You can 2. just keep riding it until something more dramatic occurs.
It’s not unusual to find very fine metal particles in an engine. Normally you mostly see this when the motor is new as is being “broken in” but if motors didn’t do this to some extent there be no reason to have an oil filter.
As there is no way to know for sure what the source of the contamination is, and being that the bike seems to run fine, I’d go with number 2, and not worry about it until you get more symptoms.
(The presence of little pieces of black rubbery stuff however should be taken seriously, as this is evidence the balancers are going out... and for that I’d tear it open immediately.)

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Does the engine vibrate more than usual? Worn balancer bushings can let the balancer gear rub the aluminum case.

Should see rubber chunks in the oil screen before that, but someone could have already cleaned them out.

Hard to say without seeing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I would say the only time I think it starts to vibrates excessively is at 80mph or above. At 70mph it seems pretty smooth, but I guess I just thought it was the nature of V-Twin's...I wish I had another Vulcan to compare it to, but I never see any around northern IN from where Im from... No chunks of rubber in the oil at all. I have looked closely at the screen as well as my dad every time we have changed oil and that was from 10,000 to its current mileage. Just worries me that Im running tiny aluminum shavings through the engine, scoring cylinder walls, bearings etc... Im almost home and going to cut open the oil filter to see if I find anything...Will update soon on my findings... BTW, Where are the balancer bushings located? Do you have to pull the engine to get at them?
Thanks to all who replied!!

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Well, I would say the only time I think it starts to vibrates excessively is at 80mph or above. At 70mph it seems pretty smooth, but I guess I just thought it was the nature of V-Twin's...I wish I had another Vulcan to compare it to, but I never see any around northern IN from where Im from... No chunks of rubber in the oil at all. I have looked closely at the screen as well as my dad every time we have changed oil and that was from 10,000 to its current mileage. Just worries me that Im running tiny aluminum shavings through the engine, scoring cylinder walls, bearings etc... Im almost home and going to cut open the oil filter to see if I find anything...Will update soon on my findings... BTW, Where are the balancer bushings located? Do you have to pull the engine to get at them?
Thanks to all who replied!!
Front left side of the engine just in front of the round stator cover. Engine pull or tilt to look at them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front left side of the engine just in front of the round stator cover. Engine pull or tilt to look at them.
Great, thank you! Will check them out for sure!! Now that you say that, The engine does seem to produce a bit more noise that side, right in that area.. Much more amplified when you stick a broom stick up to it!! But almost seems like timing chain noise....

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Great, thank you! Will check them out for sure!! Now that you say that, The engine does seem to produce a bit more noise that side, right in that area.. Much more amplified when you stick a broom stick up to it!! But almost seems like timing chain noise....
I'll say the vn750 is about the smoothest twin ever built, or that I've seen. The mirrors might shake at a certain speed, but it's not like other vtwins or even parallel twins.

Those $5 stethoscopes at harbor freight are great for listening and pinpointing sounds. You'll hear a lot going on in this engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what the oil looked at with 2,500 miles on it... A normal view that you wouldn't notice with natural light, and then the view with my LED headlamp. Makes my stomach nauseous just looking at it... This bike has always had Spectro 4 10W40 Oil in it at least since 10,000 miles... Those little white spec's bits falling from the trees that day.
Window Automotive tire Rectangle Helmet Bumper

Liquid Ingredient Fluid Kitchen appliance Drink

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went ahead and cut the oil filter apart so I could see if there was any evidence of metal inside. Thankfully no, not a trace of anything. I went ahead and filled it with fresh oil and filter (Genuine Kawasaki) and took it for a spin. I guess I’ll just watch it closely and see what happens. Maybe what I was seeing was very tiny clutch shavings?? If it lasts the summer, I may just yank the motor in the winter so I replace the dampener bushings and possibly the timing chain guides. Just really wish I knew of someone close who had a VN750 so I could listen to it and compare to mine. The engine is noisy which I understand but most of the noise is coming from the stator area. I tell you one thing, this is one very complex motor!!! So many moving parts inside this engine it’s crazy!!
Thanks again to all who replied!! Have a great summer and stay safe!

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
I went ahead and cut the oil filter apart so I could see if there was any evidence of metal inside. Thankfully no, not a trace of anything. I went ahead and filled it with fresh oil and filter (Genuine Kawasaki) and took it for a spin. I guess I’ll just watch it closely and see what happens. Maybe what I was seeing was very tiny clutch shavings?? If it lasts the summer, I may just yank the motor in the winter so I replace the dampener bushings and possibly the timing chain guides. Just really wish I knew of someone close who had a VN750 so I could listen to it and compare to mine. The engine is noisy which I understand but most of the noise is coming from the stator area. I tell you one thing, this is one very complex motor!!! So many moving parts inside this engine it’s crazy!!
Thanks again to all who replied!! Have a great summer and stay safe!
Can you post a video? Maybe the ACCTs are slapping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts