Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i currently ride a zr750, but im looking to get into the cruiser scene. i have the chance to buy a 2000 vulcan 750 with 15000 miles on it and is spotless, no dents, rust, or other issues for a few hundred dollars. its spotless. but the transmission is shot. Would it be worth it to buy this, and fix it? or how much of a problem is this exactly?? any advice would be greatly appreciated. i am pretty well mechanically inclined, so i can do pretty much anything as far as installation. just let me know what yall think! Thanks ahead of time

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
What do you mean by the transmission is shot? If it's a matter of the rear splines failing due to lack of lubrication, that can be fixed with about $150-300 of used parts (need to replace driveshaft coupler and final drive) from ebay. Common problem because folks don't know they must be lubed with high moly grease very 10,000 miles.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yeah, I'd be curious if it is actually the transmission. We don't hear of too many going south. The drive shaft is the typical culpret & an easy fix. Besides, for a few hundred bucks you could swap out the engine oppossed to a total dismantel to fix the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motor runs fine, but it wont shift out of 1st. They said that the 2-6 gears are stripped? but im not so sure. i mean i can get the bike for around 400, which i think is a pretty good deal even if i have to put a new motor on it. but i just wanted to know what yall think? should i just get it, and tear it apart and see what i find?

·
2,519 Posts
If you don't want it. let us all know where it is. Someone will take it if it's close enough. (Even me).

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
$400 is a steal, so buy it. Worse case you double your money by parting it out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also, the Vulcans gears are 1 down and 4 up. There is no 6th gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i mean i dont have a clue about the vulcans, that is why i joined here and thought i would ask you guys. yall know better than i do. so if yall think its worth it, i will probably go for it. ill let you know what i find

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it won't shift out of the gear it's in, I would suspect something wrong with the shifter more than something wrong with the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
she claims that she had it checked out, and that the gears were stripped.. im not so sure what to think about all of this. i want to buy it, but i dont know if i could get my money back out of it. for a bike like this, what would they sell for running and in good shape??

·
2,519 Posts
she claims that she had it checked out, and that the gears were stripped.. im not so sure what to think about all of this. i want to buy it, but i dont know if i could get my money back out of it. for a bike like this, what would they sell for running and in good shape??
You could easily sell it for $2,000 or more if it's running and in good shape.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I would definitly jump on that bike. Act like your willing to take on her headache & offer $350, lol Like I mentioned before, you just don't hear of the transmission going bad on these bikes. It's usually the splines on the drive shaft fail from inproper lubing or lack of lube. Seriously, if you don't take it let us know where it is. SOMEONE will buy it. It's a steal any way you look at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah thank yall for all of the help. im trying to swindle her down. ill let you know what i get it for, and post some pictures up as soon as i do. keep my fingers crossed. im really really wanting this bike, but im trying to not let that urge to buy one get the best of me and make an irrational decision. thanks for all of the help, everyone!

·
Registered
900 Posts
yeah thank yall for all of the help. im trying to swindle her down. ill let you know what i get it for, and post some pictures up as soon as i do. keep my fingers crossed. im really really wanting this bike, but im trying to not let that urge to buy one get the best of me and make an irrational decision. thanks for all of the help, everyone!
Not that we want to steal your deal here.. but where are you located?.. we are spread thruout the counrty and there might be one us close by to help with the fix!

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Didn't we have a few months back a rash of spring clips slipping off of the Clutch shifter pawl & making it look like a bad tranny. Wouldn't shift until you popped the spring back on.

Yeah, I'd be curious if it is actually the transmission. We don't hear of too many going south. The drive shaft is the typical culpret & an easy fix. Besides, for a few hundred bucks you could swap out the engine oppossed to a total dismantel to fix the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im actually located in savannah georgia haha looks like im close to no one around that i can see. but if someone is around. i would greatly appreciate the help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts