Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Total Newbie
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it supposed to be harder to shift gears when you have more weight on the bike (i.e. two people instead of one)? Is that normal phenomenon? Or is something rotten in the state of my VN750?

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
I don't think extra weight would make shifting any diffrent, but it matters how and when you shift.

I do know that sometimes because you have a passenger you tend to scoot farther forward on the seat and the slight change in position can make your foot less accurate moving the shift lever.

·
Total Newbie
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think extra weight would make shifting any diffrent, but it matters how and when you shift.

I do know that sometimes because you have a passenger you tend to scoot farther forward on the seat and the slight change in position can make your foot less accurate moving the shift lever.
That could be. I'll pay attention to that next time. Thanks, Knifemaker. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...the only time it "might" make a difference is if it were chain or belt to the rear wheel (that changes belt/chain tension and may cause too much pull on the trans)....check your rear fluid and your engine/tranny oil...mebbe switch to a 20-50 if in warmer climes...
The VN with driveshaft, weight shouldnt matter, unless perhaps the splinelube is not done ?....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

X2 to KM^^^^

On a similar note, I have found myself short shifting once in a while since starting to ride again after a forced 4 year layoff. My left leg is half an inch shorter after my accident in June 2008, and the right leg a quater inch longer after a hip replacement a year ago. So now I have a 3/4" lift in the sole of my left shoe.

I couldn`t get my toe under the shifter pedal with that lift in the sole, so I rotated the shifter shaft up (clockwise) one spline. The shifter pedal is now slightly higher than a perfect fit, but it is rideable for me. I have limited movement in my ankle to rotate my toes upward to shift, so I have to lift my whole foot off the foot peg to complete an up-shift.

I find if I am rushed or tired that I tend to miss more shifts by failing to lift high enough, or follow through.
Maybe one of those Kuryakyn pedal covers would fatten the pedal up enough to allow me to shift just by rotating my ankle and keep my foot on the peg. :smiley_th

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine shifts different depending on what type shoe/boot I'm wearing. My steel toes shifts better. ****s easier when riding solo too. All depends on where and how the force is applied, I guess. So I think it's just where the force is applied and nothing really to worry over.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey hoss what about a rocker type shifter? Anybody have or try something like that?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I noticed that if your left foot is placed closer to the shift lever it shifts much smoother for some reason.

With the F&S engine guard it seems to crowd my feet and I end up having my toe on the left edge of the shifter....i seem to have to "jam" the shifter into gear with my foot in that position.

I wonder if that is how some of the shifter shafts get broken....and if an extension of the shifter end might help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts