Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know I'm crazy. I was wondering if the 750 motor is used in any other bikes that would have the shift lever come out of the cover that has the site glass window for the oil. Mine is stuck in 2nd gear and the motor has to be split to fix it. I'm not lucky enough to have it be something bent or worn out like a lot of you had happen. This is a threaded rod internally that must have broke.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There is a tie-rod between the shift lever shaft and the change lever shaft that was under engineered on some of the earlier models, and is prone to failure. This could be your problem. The more robust replacement part is only a few $, but as you say, it requires an engine pull and splitting the cases.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Yes I know I'm crazy. I was wondering if the 750 motor is used in any other bikes that would have the shift lever come out of the cover that has the site glass window for the oil. Mine is stuck in 2nd gear and the motor has to be split to fix it. I'm not lucky enough to have it be something bent or worn out like a lot of you had happen. This is a threaded rod internally that must have broke.
In a word, no. The vulcan 750 engine is completely unique, and was never used in anything else. There are a lot of questions and mysteries surrounding it's unusual design, and it appears to have undergone a number of "quick and dirty" design changes before reaching it's final form. It is obviously not well thought out as far as working on it goes, and many parts seem like afterthoughts. It is generally thought that it was first designed for some type of sportbike, with chain drive, and a totally different frame.

If you have issues that would require splitting the cases, and are not a top notch mechanic with a lot of time and patience, I would recommending looking for another engine. The VN750 engine is a mechanics nightmare. As far as I know, there are only a couple of people on this forum that have successfully rebuilt one. Jerry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

Ok so I started fooling around with it today. It was stuck in 2nd gear and had limp shifter pedal when on center stand. I put it on the side stand and was flicking the pedal and all of a sudden it got tension on it and I shifted it into neutral. I WAS thinking great so then I put it in first. Now it's stuck in first. DOH. When it's on the center stand it's still floppy but on the side stand it will develope tension on occasion. I'm just totally lost.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Reported. Would like to send a bomb to these folks, but would settle for a fatal virus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the shift rod coming out of the cases move in and out?
No. It's tight. Crazy I know. When on the center stand it has slop. Side stand I can get it to have tension but not enough to shift into any gears or at least not up. So I took the oil sight cover off again and manually put it in neutral so I can move the bike around without holding the clutch in.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weld is fine. I'm thinking what happens is the nut that holds the rod on to the shaft that has the splines internally possibly loosened up enough or fell off. I really wish there was another course of action to take but I'm thinking she's going for parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts