Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up my battery to a Battery Tender Jr. It has been charging for around 1.5 days now (I killed the battery) and today I noticed that something leaked and it seems like battery fluid came out... is this normal or is something weird going on here? I checked the level and it's still between the two lines, so it's fine I think. Don't have a voltmeter on hand to check anything though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
batteries leak do to over chargeing sometime, but i can't see a battery tender doing that unless it is faulty

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any way I can test if it's faulty?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The Battery Tender Junior is only rated at 0.75 amps, and does have an electronic brain that puts it into float mode when the battery is fully charged. Shouldn`t be able to overcharge. More info here:
http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

If any acid spilled on your bike rinse it off asap. With no meter it is hard to check the battery or the tender. Try starting the bike. It won`t tell you the voltage, but will let you know if the battery is charged.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
baking soda may neutralize that spill too.

·
Registered
738 Posts
.. (I killed the battery)..
Wet cells, even AGM type, do not like to be completely discharged. There are all sorts of tests you can do, but if the battery is more than a few years old, then consider replacing it. Buy a good AGM battery and don't let it completely discharge.

·
Registered
335 Posts
don't know how to measure amperage, but you can cheack the output voltage.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got a multimeter from a friend tonight, I checked the voltage with the tender connected and it was at 14.14V I disconnected it and I'll check the voltage after I have some dinner and see if it's keeping the charge.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a couple hours, I checked the voltage and it's at 12.69V The tender never changed to "storage mode" though, it just keeps charging. Is that a normal voltage for a good battery?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and the AGM battery is definitely on my list of things to get in the near future, I just thought other stuff like fixing the brake cylinder is more important for now.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
After a couple hours, I checked the voltage and it's at 12.69V The tender never changed to "storage mode" though, it just keeps charging. Is that a normal voltage for a good battery?
I suspect your battery is bad,if the charger won't get it fully charged and you have a leak .

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was thinking that it COULD be the charger that is bad. I checked voltage again today (a few minutes ago) and it was at 12.66V. I'm just wondering how I can know for sure if the tender is working right, before I try charging a new AGM battery with it. Don't want to fry it as soon as I buy it.

Also, I thought it wasn't that uncommon for normal wet cell batteries to discharge fluid from the discharge tube. I could be wrong, of course, which is why I'm asking here lol.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an idea that I dunno if it's a very bad one. If I turn on the bike, it will get the voltage up to where the battery would be fully charged. If I plug in the tender it should go into storage mode if it's working right.

True? False? Bad idea?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
BTW, the gasses that vent out of a wet cell are highly explosive. I tied a plastic bag to my battery to collect the hydrogen from the vent tube, let it fill up (took a few days - don't worry, old battery), tied it to a long stick, and lit it with a candle in the back yard. Sucka set off car alarms when it went off!

DT

·
Registered
738 Posts
.....Also, I thought it wasn't that uncommon for normal wet cell batteries to discharge fluid from the discharge tube. I could be wrong, of course, which is why I'm asking here lol.
Definitely not normal. The vent tube is to release hydrogen gas produced as a byproduct of the charging process. Fluid discharge is not normal and can be caused by overcharging or 'boiling' the battery. Fluid discharge is also corrosive and should be neutralized and cleaned up according (a little baking soda and water will do).

Sounds like you have a bad charger, bad battery or both. Since you have a wet cell, which are known to be a poor choice for the VN750, I would suggest starting there by buying a good AGM. Skip the tender for now. My Yuasa AGM is going on 3 years and has never had, nor needed one, event after sitting for long periods.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hm thanks for letting me know cglennon... no fluid got on the bike at all though, I put a hose on the vent so it all just went to the ground, cleared it up with some water and a fine spray of solvent.

I wanted to know about how to test if the tender is bad so I could return it if that's the case though... I just bought it and if it's bad I can still return it.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I wanted to know about how to test if the tender is bad so I could return it if that's the case though... I just bought it and if it's bad I can still return it.
Ask a friend if they would like to have their battery topped off for free. :loser1:

·
Registered
738 Posts
hm thanks for letting me know cglennon... no fluid got on the bike at all though, I put a hose on the vent so it all just went to the ground, cleared it up with some water and a fine spray of solvent.

Return the tender for a full refund and use the money to buy a good AGM battery. AGM batteries discharge at a lower rate than wet cells, making the tender less of a priority (unless your riding 100% city stop-n-go, not riding for several months or storing the bike in subfreezing temperatures). IMHO the AGM battery is more important than the tender; lower discharge rate, solves some hot starting issues, newer technology, no venting tube, no maintenance, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Battery Voltage

Get an old car headlamp and "load" test the battery, approx. 7-10Amp.
The voltage should only drop about half a volt over ten minutes.
The brightness of the light should stay relatively even.

Car / Automotive places have a "Load Tester" they use and it's free to use.

NOTE: Batteries under charge should have the protective caps removed to allow the gas build up to be relieved.
These gases are Explosive and can become Toxic in confined areas. Never charge the battery while installed
in the bike, except a "Tender" on a relatively good battery.

Rich

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I just bought an AGM at Wal Mart, it's being activated, I'll see how it does once it's on the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts