Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
The manual says “equal to or higher” and it mentions 91 as well. Which is why I asked the question in the first place. Is this some triggering subject for some reason?
No, it's not. It's just that you ask for advice then sidestep all around it, it's getting to be not worth typing.

I gave you the reasons why, if it means nothing to you, then by all means, go out and get racing fuel for your bike. I cannot stop you from abusing your engine.

The RON method is a lot different from what's normally used to rate octane, so you can't compare the two numbers to each other.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
The engine and ignition system are not designed to take advantage of octane rating higher than 87. Short term use of higher wont hurt anything other than the wallet long term use may hurt engine as previously said

Our engine does a great job of making good power for its displacement on lower octane fuel. It cannot tell if you dropped the higher dollar (octane) fuel in so it cannot adjust ignition timing to take advantage of it.

The engine has about 10.5 to 1 compression ratio and runs on 87.. many other engine require more octane at them compression ratios. The vn750 does it with less timing (10 degrees base) but lights the from both sides of the combustion chamber in order to get complete combustion in the shorter time available

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Thanks. I wasn’t sidestepping anything. I was wondering why it says EQUAL TO OR HIGHER and you tell me higher is a very bad idea. What is so hard to understand about my confusion here? I understand to put 87 in it and now because you told me to and I appreciate that but I don’t understand why it says OR HIGHER.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Thanks. I wasn’t sidestepping anything. I was wondering why it says EQUAL TO OR HIGHER and you tell me higher is a very bad idea. What is so hard to understand about my confusion here? I understand to put 87 in it and now because you told me to and I appreciate that but I don’t understand why it says OR HIGHER.
Because, as MTB posted, you can use higher octane once without any bad result. But if you somehow found some lower octane, you could roast the engine in one hard ride.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
One thing to add, RON numbers are not the same as what we use here in U.S. for octane rating . RON is the international rating I believe. The standard here are MON, which is a lower scale. 91 RON is the same as 87 MON.

Since the vn750 is an international bike you can expect specs to be listed in multiple formats

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks! Maybe that’s what’s been giving me trouble. Although so far so good. Still at just over half a tank. Rode the freeway today and revved perfectly during and when I got off in city stop and go

81 - 87 of 87 Posts