Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my first VN750, here's a pic!

However I'm having a bit of trouble with it. It was bought as a rebuilt bike. The guy who rebuilt it has modified it as you can see. He's done a cracking job on everything except for one thing! The carb's need serious tuning! I'm told by my mech friend that they are running very lean :(. We can of course sort this out but to save time and possibly money I'm trying to get as much info on the carbs before we start.

I have a whole bunch of receipts for this bike build but none of them include an actual carb. Jets yes but no carb. The carb thats on the bike is a Keihin and all it says on it is CVK, no number that I can see without removal of a lot of things. I don't know if these are standard issue or not. I suspect not.

If any of you are familiar with this carb any info would be fantastic. That way we can at least try to get the best out of the non standard air filters and exhausts!

Many thanks for reading.
Aki. :blah:

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
the carbs on the bike in the pic are the right carbs in all you should really need to replace when doing the carbs (there are two joined at the float bowls) are the jets and then place shims under the needles lance328 should be along soon post your mods exhaust pod filters and altitude above sea level and he should be able to help you with jet size

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe! I did finally figure out that these carbs are standard (after much squinting and flicking through both my manuals). I'm sure the filters are K&N's not sure if there's any specifics about them, as for the exhaust I don't currently know but I can have a chat with my mate. I know for a fact he had very very similar if not the same exhausts on his old Honda CB. The clean air system was removed and blanked off. As for my altitude well I live near the coast so pretty close to sea level lol.

I have the receipts from the guy I bought it from and it seems he'd bought a multitude of jets but only one of the receipts has any real info on it and that's 140.

My mechanic is away this week but its going in to him the week after. I just figure it would be best if I could at least do some research for him. ;)

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I am at sea level running uni filter pods with a completely open exhaust i was running the 40/140 2 shim setup and was slightly lean what i have bumped up to is a 42/145 2 shim after i get it running i am going to ride a week and check my plugs again if i am still lean i will move up to a 147 or 150

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Joe. Thankfully I just got off the phone to the guy who put her together and he said he got his starting idea from this site. He also upped to the 40 and 140 combo with spacers. Time to up the gauges perhaps :notworthy

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
like i said i am at sea level and mine was a little lean so lance had me up it a size or two and recheck i have no idea how to determine jet size so its trial and error here

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
shoot lance328 a private message, he will hook you up on the prefect jet set up and take3 out all the guess work for you... he even sells the jets and shims cheaper than any where I was able to find.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If he didn't black out the engine when rebuilding it, it looks like you have a vn700. Is it an 85 model? 85's US were 700's. Looks really good though. It is typical for bikes with intake mods and such to take a little tweeking to get them to run right, and Lance is the MAN when it comes to the right jets and such, among nearly every other square inch of the bike. Good luck with it all!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I dig the flames.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I've pm'd Lance to probe for info lol regardless its off the mech shop tomorrow. Hopefully my man will have her running sweet soon! I need to be riding her!

Also she is a '92 and definitely a 750 so yeah the engine's been sprayed I guess :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just as an update.... I'm going to try #42 pilot jets, #147.5 main jets, 2 shims under each needle and 3 turns out on the pilot screw. As this is what Lance has suggested. I'm hoping to be amazed at the man's magical psychic tuning!! I'll let you know how it goes once I'm all sorted.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts