Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing my fork thing, I accidentally crossthreadded the shrader guts when reinstalling (snapped off inside when removing too). Having probs removing old one now. Wondering if just for this season, and fairly short trips (under 60mi), is it ok to go w/o air in forks ?
I dont plan on passengers, and at 6'1" I weigh a sad 148-156 due to my health. Think I could get away w/o air for local riding ? I'll just throw in a self tapping screw and be done. Yes, no ?

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
My guess is yes if she rides ok and ain't leakin'. I don't think they call for much pressure anyway but I'm dumb in that area, never looked. Also never checked mine. They could be empty for all I know, ha ha! ... and if they are I never noticed. Well, up to a100 anyway.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think only the early years of the VN700/750 had the air forks, so if they took that out, it probably isn't necessary.

I'd just try it out and see if there's a big difference or not. If you can't feel a huge difference, you're probably good to go!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Cause of my heigth, rather lack of, and weight, i always let all the air out. Imo air not needed.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I think you should be ok without any air pressure in the fork tubes Wolfie.
The air valve is only found on the early models from 1985 to `88 anyway.

The standard fork pressure is atmospheric pressure (0 psi) according to the Clymer manual.
(Usable pressure for those equipted with the air valve is 0 to 7.1 psi.)

I have never found mention of any other changes made to the fork tubes when the air valves were discontinued on the `89 and later models. :)

·
1,100 Posts
Green light for Wolfie to go kick up some dust! :smiley_th
We don't need no stinkin' air chocks!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...you just KNOW...

Well, you just KNOW I was gonna try it out anyways regardless of suggestions, mwaahaahaaa ! But way I see it, there's already existing air in the top of the tube if forks are uncompressed...so, if closed off, when compressed, that PSI should increase. So with my skinny sick azz, I think I'll be ok for this season, especially around town. If not, come end of Feb when there's 4 feet of snow out, I'll replace it, lol.
Btw, borrowed a tap from neighbor, and sent home a hex bolt...no leaks...all I gotta do is grind the hexes off to get the plastic cap back on, and slap it all back together. Painted lower tubes black too, like tank and fenders. I think mebbe another week. Need to see if Geico will transfer money on my truck insurance to the bike...that'd be sweet...all done by phone...then just NY Regist, but local office got flooded out so gotta go next county...mebbe can do that by internet too.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I just put air in mine this year, been riding it 4 years without it, 8lbs and I notice no real difference!

·
1,100 Posts
Yup, I think we knew you were gonna be on it regardless ;). Can't keep a good Wolf down. Bummer about you bein sick tho mun. Wish ya the best and all that. It certainly hasn't tainted your humor or personality. Wish I could say the same for my own resolve in that scenario, don't know that I couldtho. But keep on wolfin' man! Let us know how she rides. And let's see the forks when ya can. Bet they look slick. That's what I've wanted to do to mine for a while but thought maybe a hammered metal finish might be different. Although someone used ultra fine sandpaper to bring theirs back. May try that who knows. There's always somethin' to do. My neighbor said "man you're always fussin with that thing" and I said well when I'm 'fussin' with it I'm smilin' more than I did with the ex-girlfriend so you tell me what your definition of happiness is. Take care man.:beerchug:

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Fork Pressure

86 vn750 A2 Replaced fork seals 14 mo. ago..... put in approx 5 lbs.... 1 year later was able to check pressure with an appropiate (sp) pressure..... 0 lbs. Never noticed _ANY_ difference ever !
imo.... NP !
:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey...

Hey...after 27 yrs of not ridin, if I get a month in then drop dead, I'll still be happy !!!!....Puttin it back together as I write....just takin a break, because wheel dont wanna fit between forks now (methinks an upper tube may be bent a lil)...will keep ploddin' away until sunset shuts me down, then there's always tomorrow... :beerchug:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done...

Done...turns out the headlight bracket was forcing the tubes together..."alles gutte !"...tomorrow, Ruger's MC install and brakebleed, then a ride with neighbor to a local shop to look at pods, and....now I need a speedo cable...as I was reinstalling all, the lower part just camer off in my fingers...may try to fix that meself too though, lol...

Ummm...could a mod or admin (Diana ?) please just add the contents of this to my "Old school seal" thread ?...I dont wanna clog the board with too many similar threads...unless you feel the subject warrants its own of course (and I saw no other, only vague refs)...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Done...turns out the headlight bracket was forcing the tubes together..."alles gutte !"...tomorrow, Ruger's MC install and brakebleed, then a ride with neighbor to a local shop to look at pods, and....now I need a speedo cable...as I was reinstalling all, the lower part just camer off in my fingers...may try to fix that meself too though, lol...

Ummm...could a mod or admin (Diana ?) please just add the contents of this to my "Old school seal" thread ?...I dont wanna clog the board with too many similar threads...unless you feel the subject warrants its own of course (and I saw no other, only vague refs)...
Wolfie, just highlight and copy this post, then click on edit and delete it.
Goto your "old school seal" thread and paste in a reply box. :smiley_th EASY PEASY

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool !

Cool, brother, thanks !...falling asleep now, been up since 3am, will mess with it in the AM....:smiley_th

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
3am...i just went to work at 3am. Glad you could get your forks straightened out tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts