1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know an Iridium Spark Plug part number for VN750's? or
where I can buy them online or locally?

Has anyone tried them?

Do they require Special Iridium type Plug Wires?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Iridium plugs? Why would you want to use those old things? I started using the Paladium plugs on all my vehicles. They have the built in nanoflux coil that increases the voltage at the tip. High enough output that they don't have a ground tip. Instead, they just arc to the nearest grounded metal surface. Setting a gap is no longer necessary.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea, you could spend a lot of money on spark plugs and have the cool factor of saying you have plugs with exotic metals in them. And you may even gain a tiny bit of performance...but this is a non-computer controlled, carburated engine...get a set of proper temperature champion or autolite plugs and keep them clean and properly gapped and you'll be just fine.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Oh yeah? My $69 ($276 per set of 4) paladium plugs doubled my horsepower and brought my mpg up to 72. Beat that. They only need to be changed every three months. They'll pay for themselves in... well, that's not important.

By the way, do ya know any landfills that can take paladium? My garbage disposal engineer says that they can't because of the PCBs internal to the plug. Until then I guess I'll just hold onto the old ones. Or make things out of them and let my daughter play with them.

Sheesh...Autolite plugs as good as Paladium. You've gotta be kidding me!

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, where can I get these Paladium Plugs ? Would like to read more
about these wonder plugs!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Part #'s...... We need part #'s!!!!! ;) would like more info on these as well!

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Here's a place that has the cheaper gold/paladium for only $66 each:
http://www.toysport.com/catalog/parts by model/MR2 90-99 Turbo.htm

It's hard to find just the paladium plugs. Most are paladium/gold center electrode. It's even harder to find the version with the PCB core. Something about federal regulations of PCBs. I have to get mine from India or Thailand. I guess you can go to the website directly. It's made by matsushita electric, through Panasonic Japan:

http://panasonic.co.jp/

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Cegodsey,

I thought with using the Paladium plugs in our bikes you have to switch over to the Tellurium pistons with Hastelloy "C7" (or maybe "X4") valves ?
The Matsushita/Panasonic site said nothing about that ??!!

I think there was also something in there about rebuilding the muffler bearings, as the excessive heat build-up caused by the Tellurium can pretty much turn them into jello.

On a serious note....

I agree with Imnohero, stick with plugs the bike was made to use.
If anything, maybe upgrade the wires.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
It was the C7 valves. But the heat in the muffler wasn't the only problem - if you recall, the piston sleeves had to be replaced as well. I remember when Julio took the first Tellurium-pistoned bike out for a ride, and the cylinder heads melted out from under him. What a surprised look on his face! Priceless. Actually, they reconfigured the paladium plugs so that it wasn't necessary to rebuild the engine with tellurium parts. (Besides, I'd rather go without mufflers than to replace those muffler bearings - what a job!)

On ANOTHER serious note, I usually just use NGK's. Unless it's in my car, then I'll get platinum tipped (because it says so in the manual, and the car doesn't run right without them). I've never had trouble with Champion plugs in a car, but I have a friend that has had trouble only with Champion plugs, and swears by Autolite. In any case, all the plug has to do is spark, and the fuel/air mixture does the rest. If you're worried about it, get higher powered coils so that you know you're getting a spark. Then it won't matter what plug you buy.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
NGK DPR7EIX-9. About $10.00 each
As Loran pointed out from the Vulcan Verses
"I do think engines run better on them as they require so much less voltage to produce a better spark.

I priced Iridium NGK at all my mail order suppliers and finally bought them from Chaparral at $7 each last year.

OK, you guys talked me into it. I found them at Motorcycle Pro Shop for $7.31 plus shipping & handling. Might be a pretty good price if anyone else wants some.... http://tinyurl.com/b4pmu Product ID: DPR7EIX-9 Product Name: NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG Product Price: $7.31 Quantity: 4 SubTotal: $29.24 Shipping: $7.00(Regular Shipping) Handling: $2.00 State Tax: $0.00 Country Tax: $0.00 Grand Total: $38.24 "
and
"Just thought I'd mentioned this as it might save someone a few bucks. There was a discussion on the group a little while go about these plugs (DPR7EIX-9) and where to get them. The internet lowest price was around 7 bucks plus shipping. I decided to get some before the Gathering and thought I'd try locally to save the shipping. I looked on the net at the chains here locally (Autozone, O'Reilly's, and Advance Auto) and they were all around 10.xx or so. In talking to Dan Tadrick of the group he mentioned he had them and the part number is 7803. Well, if you search for DPR7EIX-9 at the Advance Auto site is comes back at 10.99. However if you put in just 7803, you get several things with the same part number, but one of them is the NGK plug for only 6.96. What's up with that? Anyway, I went to the local Advance store and it is the same plug. So if you happen to have an Advance store nearby (mostly east and some in the midwest), the price is as low as the internet without the shipping. (And yes I'm an accountant so maybe Freak is right about the beancounter part :). John STL,MO "

Champion Spark plugs are good for lawn mowers, but not so good for our bikes.
And the Paladium plugs at $69 each ($276 per set of 4) to be replaced every 3 months?? Give me a break!! Chances are you will NEVER be replacing Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The issue is not which spark plug is "better". The issue (as with most things mechanical) is to answer the question:

What is the right part for my application?

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get quality parts that will work on our bikes.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i used autolites. i am i big fan of them (very popular on airplanes b/c of hotter sparks), and when i switched mine out at 3k miles, i noticed a better pull from the 2500 mark and up. best thing about it is that they can be locally ordered from o'rileys (the store doesnt have then, they get them from their local hub so if u order early u can have then by days end). I cant remember but i think they were like 2.50 a plug. i wouldnt worry bout irridum plugs. they wont make enough difference to warrent the price. you are better off switching to a hotter plug and replace it more often lol....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Iridium plugs performance improvement

Guess I'll chime in since I installed iridium plugs in my VN750 quite a while ago.
Along with the MF battery (you do have one, correct?) my 2001 with 40,000 plus miles on it starts first time, every time, cold or hot. I barely touch the starter button and she fires right up, no playing with the throttle when hot.
And these are supposedly lifetime plugs.
A few extra dollars for this kind of improvement was worth it for me.
Kind of like the same reason we pay extra for an MF battery.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Dennis - how many miles do you think you have on those iridiums?

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dianna and Dennis for the info on Iridium Plugs, will be giving them
a try. Everything I read about them is positive, except from a few posters on this board, if they
don't work out I'll try the Autolites if I can find the part #..

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gap for Iridium Plugs

What is the gap for the Iridium Plugs for VN750's?

Oh yeah Dennis I bought a MF Yuasa Battery ASAP after I
put my money on the barrel head.

You should chime in more often with your advice for us newbies. :smiley_th

·
Registered
206 Posts
lol, I'm not saying that iridium plugs are bad or you shouldn't use them or anything like that. I'm just saying that you don't need to spend $30 for 4 spark plugs. The benefits in the VN750 application don't warrant the extra cost in my opinion.

You don't NEED a $7 spark plug any more than you NEED to spend $400 for a helmet...it has the same crash rating as the $100 helmet. You should buy a helmet that fits correctly and is comfortable without regard to it's cost. You may find (because your head is a particular shape) that HJC helmets (mid price brand) fit better than Arai(expensive brand). Are you going to buy an Arai helment anyway?

Same for batteries and tires and a host of other things...higher cost does NOT automatically equal better. A $100 battery doesn't start a VN750 any better than a $50 battery if you don't keep the electrical grounds clean. I have a generic 3 year old battery that sat for 5 months...I put it on the charger overnight and my vulcan fired right up the next day. It starts hot or cold equally well. Same as yours...so do I need to go spend the money for a new battery?

You're new, so maybe this is the first time you're running into someone that doesn't subscribe to the "brand name, cool factor, accessorized, pop culture" of motorcycling. It's not bad, I just don't agree with it.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Imnohero - you say you have a generic battery that starts up your bike? What brand and make is it? Does it require adding water occasionally? If so, then you to will eventually need an MF battery. It's not like we WANT to buy them, it's that we HAVE to buy them. Trust me, cleaning the connections won't fix the battery problem.

I buy what I know I can trust. I think the $30 for spark plugs is OK if you are going to keep your bike, 'cause you don't ever have to change them again. Personally, I don't have them, because like you said, the bike runs fine on cheaper plugs, and changing plugs isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know what brand or model it is, it came with the bike when I bought it used. Yes, I have to occassional check it and add water. Just like I had to do on about half of the cars that I've owned, including my 2005 Infinity. :) Why would I have to buy a maint. free battery?

Clearly, if you have a battery problem, clean grounds won't help you. But dirty or corroded grounding points may interfere with the proper operation of the charging and starting system, regardless of the brand name on it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts