Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I thought I would introduce myself, and my bike. I am a 21 year old college student in CO and I've been wanting to get a motorcycle very much for about 3 years now, basically since I was 18 and came to college. However, my parents were very much set against it and I didn't feel it was worth the family fued. Instead I stuffed a 50 cc engine on a bicyle and rode that around, having lots of time to learn about the dangers of cars and clutches on the perfect "beginner bike".

I finally bought a 1990 750 from a dealership with about 16,000 miles on it after taking the BRC. It had some problems, but the dealer agreed to fix the onese I found during the initial test rides. I'd give the cosmetics a 9.99 out of 10 with its engine guard, mustang seat and new paint job. A few minor nicks in the paint is all that seems to be amiss.

The engine seems to have a few issues, some rubber seals and what not have deteriorated and need to be replaced, but otherwise it seems to run pretty strong. So thats all, just thought I'd introduce myself properly. I've been waiting for a week or so for this forum to come back online. I hope that there are some knowledgeable people on this forum, because I sure know squat!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome! Several mods you'll want to look at seriously (can find them in these forums) - Regulator relocation & sealed battery, drive shaft spline lube.
Helps a bunch if you don't mind swinging a wrench :)
Enjoy!

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Hey I know that bike! Does it have this on the tank?
a758.jpg

the color is Ferrari red and it was owned by Marcus "FourFeathers" in Colorado

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess it never occured to me until now that the thing on the tank is a spider.

Thats crazy. You know anything else about the bike? I'd love to know more about what maintanance was performed and all modifications and what not. Maybe he knows more about any problems it is having.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Boy it has been a while.. Marcus had the bike for sale back in October 2004

Tue, 26 Oct 2004
For Sale:
1990 Vulcan 750
"Ferrari Red" custom paint job
Hellcat Windscreen
Mustang Seat
Good tires
Lotsa chrome

Given the length of time it may have gone through another owner, but I don't recall him posting about any problems.
His folder (Marcus) is still in the Photo Section of the yahoo group. Shows what it looked like with the Hellcat windshield. I think he still has a yahoo profile, don't know if he still has the same email though.
Small world huh!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on the yahoo thing. I tried the email listed on the cruisercustomizing website, but it bounced back. I'll try the one on the yahoo directory, and if it fails, I'll try the one I found on his business site. Apparently he's a photographer. Funny thing is, I worked for the local college paper as a photographer for a semester. Kinda crazy I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Vulcan 750 about a month ago and love it!! Great site and good info from what I have read. I look forward to reading more....
Elkdog

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It is me again

It is almost 2 years since I got the VN750. I got back on this forum just to check out my old posts. A blast I tell you. I can't beleive how many problems that I had with this bike that I had forgotten about. I don't know if any of you remember me, but if you do a search for threads that I started, it seems that there was a problem everywhere I turned. And then I looked on one topic where someone posted that a 1985 engine might have been stuffed into my 1990 motorcycle. Might explain why I was having so many problems. Oh well, the bike is long gone.

I wanted to thank everyone though for all the help and advice they posted. I did end up selling the motorcycle; sadly, I was only really able to get what I put into the bike in repairs and parts. The orginal purchase price was lost. I think I only was able to put on 3,500 miles. But without you guys, I probably would have not been able to do that, and would have lost even more money. So thanks.

And despite the Vulcan fiasco, I have to say, I did learn a lot. In January of 2007, I purchased a 1990 Yamaha scooter, and a 1978 Kawasaki KZ400. Neither were running, but I was able to fix up both. I ended up selling them for more than I put in. In late November 2007, I also purchased a non running scooter. It was some weird make/model with virtually no information on the net. Thanks to all of the electrical experience I gained with the Vulcan, I was able to diagnose and fix the electrical faults and get it running. Sadly, it was stolen 4 days before I was going to sell it. Oh well, I had some fun riding that POS around. I kinda "Mad Maxed" it so it looked pretty post apocolyptic.

I did end up finding a great motorcycle when I got a 2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650A. I got it in March 30, 2007 and to date have put over 18,000 miles on it. Unlike the Vulcan, it has never broken down, though the battery did fail and needed to be replaced.

Before I sold the Vulcan, I set off for California, the plan for a 4,000 mile trip. Up to that point, I don't think the Vulcan had managed to run for more than 800 miles without a break down requiring towing. Usually something truly freakish. True to reputation, the Vulcan broke down within the first 100 miles of my trip to California. I spent 2 weeks waiting for parts before I could fix the ride, and by then I missed my chance to ride to California.

Well, I still haven't managed to make it out to California. But I've ridden all the way out to Chicago and back (2K miles, round trip) to Sturgis( boy did I stand out among all the cruisers!) two lenghty trips around Colorado, and a 3,000 mile trip that took me through a bit of Mexico. In 2009, I hope to make a 20,000 mile trip around the US and up to Alaska. With any luck, I'll ride up the entire length of the Pacific Coast Highway.

Looking back, I have to say, the Vulcan really did start me off to many great things. Thanks again for all of you who have done so much to provide an invaluable resource. Happy riding.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,137 Posts
I found this forum a few months back. And my bike went from a stock bike to what you see on the avatar. I have had a lot of fun here.
BTW, I am some what jealous of all your riding.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Now I gotta ask about the chair... did ya actually ride with it up there? That's the kind of... um... foolish... thing I can see myself doing ;-)

I gotta say I kinda like the pelican cases (I assume that's what they are?) mounted to your V...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, I actually sold my car and set up my strom to carry almost anything. I didn't go to far with the chair actually. Just a mile or so. Other drivers were so captivated though that one of them nearly hit a pedestrian.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts