1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It does look interesting... thanks for sharing!

It's also not stupidly expensive :)

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
The problem with convex mirrors is you can't judge how close or how far something behind you is. By the time that tiny spec in the mirror becomes recognizable as a threat.... You should have already spotted it in your regular mirror.

And now you are looking Down to see behind you.. Either way you are taking your eyes off the road ahead. I have no problem with looking back over my shoulder to check the lane before moving in to it. It's easy to miss something in a mirror.... But real hard to miss it when you are looking right at it.

The only thing this product seems to be helpful for is allowing you to have a view of yourself or your passenger. Which can be helpful.... The convex stick ons on my mirrors do the same thing.... And only cost $1.99 at Wal-Mart.

There was a company that had a heads up display projected on the top of your visor from a rear pointed camera that was built into the helmet.... Now that was a usefull and intelligent idea......

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
And probably cost somewhere in the thousands? Still good though.

I saw a guy wiring a backup camera on his 250 Ninja. He used a small LCD screen and wired it in a way that was detachable so it wouldn't get stolen by leaving it on the bike. He just got off the bike and grabbed the screen and left. Came back to the bike, put the screen on and rode off again.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
how about some kind of sonar to detect speed and distance of object coming toward you. For example, Is the car coming up behind you at the light slowing down?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quick View

Here in Peoria Illinois just yesterday a rider was injuried by a pickup truck that rear ended him. A few weeks ago a couple was rear ended and killed by a drunk driver at a stop light. I'm not sure mirrors will do it but I guess every
advantage is a help. Keep an eye on your rear at stop lights.

Ride saftly

Mcneuby :(

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
They have been making something similar for bicycles for years. The distance issue would certainly be a problem, but not that bad as long as you know about it. I have a very difficult time turning my head far enough to the side to make to much difference. I did replace the round mirrors with larger rectangular mirrors from a Honda Rebel. Believe it or not, it makes a big difference, and the Honda mirrors actually seem to be better quality than the Kawasaki ones, and they are not always coming loose and spinning in the wind.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I think I just aquired a hate for convex mirrows... My new PU 2011 Silverado has one on the passenger side that must be 2x normal convex... I traded an 04 Silverado & a 2010 GM Mercury for it, both had convex passenger side mirrors so I was used to them...
But I have darn near cut off 2 or 3 vehicles after passin them, if I hadn't looked up into the in cab mirror I would have... I don't know wheather it is deformed or if they all are like that now, either way I hate the thing... I may even cut one out of a flat mirror and replace the OEM...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
My FJR has flat view mirrors and I stuck a set of those 2" convex stick ons into the inner surface. As I mentioned, all they are good for is keeping an eye on my passenger.

Because the stock mirrors fit close to the fairing, riders that are, uh..wider than me have complained they did not have a good view behind them, all they saw was their arms. (most solve this by switching out to a set of FZ mirrors which have longer stalks)

The point here is if you can't see what you need to see with the mirrors you got.... Dump them and find ones that work better. Those lollipop mirrors were the first to go on my Vulcan.

I'm pretty ok with the stock mirrors on my FJR, but out of habit I never seem to trust mirrors 100% and still turn my head to look back before changing lanes.

My car on the other hand has a bad blind spot on each side that repeated attempts to adjust the sideview mirrors has failed to cure. The idea of a wide angle back up camera sounds rather usefull.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think this is a good idea. Any advantage we can get is a plus. I think I would still do a head check just out of habit. When I ride with my wife and we ride stagered I sometimes lose site of her.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Here's the video I saw about the camera. There's a kit available for the ninja 250 at some website, but it's $400 and only for the ninja 250.

This guy says he spent about $100 including shipping for the camera and monitor. I think this was back in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NplyUgp2KN0

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have been a truck driver for 35+ years and have learned to use effectively and trust my big "West Coast" mirrors along with the 8" diameter convex mirrors mounted below them.
There is no way to do an effective shoulder check when the truck box is wider than the cab.
I set the external mirrors on all vehicles I drive or ride to catch as wide an area of the adjacent lanes as possible, even to the point of leaning my head back a little to get the whole picture.

In my opinion, mirrors on a motorcycle should be set so that the rider can just see the side of the bike or saddlebags on either side.
This gives you the widest possible view behind. :)
What is the point of having both mirrors on a car or bike pointed to show what is directly behind in your lane.
The mirror inside the car is properly used to monitor the lane directly behind it.

The convex mirrors on a large truck work much like peripheral vision in my experience.
They let you see a spot of motion which alerts you to check the big mirrors, or do a shoulder check when the vehicle gets closer and is beside you.

I expect the "Riderscan" convex mirror for motorcycles to be used in much the same way.
I don`t think my peripheral vision is any more developed or effective than most other riders/drivers. The pictures of the mirror mounted on the bike in the video make it appear that I could pick up motion behind and to either side in my peripheral vision a bit sooner in many situations. I don`t expect it to reveal everything happening behind me, but it looks like an interesting concept to investigate if the opportunity arises. :)

While waiting at a red light, I recommend positioning the bike so you can see the lane behind in one mirror to monitor for motorists trying to sandwich you into the vehichle in front. You should be pointed to an escape path between rows of stopped cars if the need arises!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts