Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
New rider, long time worker on mechanical things from Maryland. This is Trudy, a 2005 that was new to me in november 2020 with ~5600 miles.
I found vn750 while taking stuff off the bike, and in my search for "how to make this air intake not hideous" I came across this forum and the ear shave. Since then it's been a goldmine for me learning all the quirks of this bike, and I'm looking forward to hopefully helping spread the knowledge as I get more experience.

Just thought I'd throw a post up here before I got called out by one of the graybeards for neglecting my new member post! Take care all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Hey all,
New rider, long time worker on mechanical things from Maryland. This is Trudy, a 2005 that was new to me in november 2020 with ~5600 miles.
I found vn750 while taking stuff off the bike, and in my search for "how to make this air intake not hideous" I came across this forum and the ear shave. Since then it's been a goldmine for me learning all the quirks of this bike, and I'm looking forward to hopefully helping spread the knowledge as I get more experience.

Just thought I'd throw a post up here before I got called out by one of the graybeards for neglecting my new member post! Take care all.
Beautiful, nice ear shave! Love the pod filters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful, nice ear shave! Love the pod filters.
Thank you! I'm having some trouble getting it running right in low RPM - she's really unhappy anywhere below 4k RPM, spark plugs show signs of running extremely lean. At the moment I'm worried the pilot jet circuit may be clogged because i've got my air/fuel mix screws backed wayyyy out. Going to keep troubleshooting though.
Yesterday I did the pickup coil mod and I've gotta say that might be the easiest mod with the most significant improvement I've done yet.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
Welcome to the nucking futhouse

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Thank you! I'm having some trouble getting it running right in low RPM - she's really unhappy anywhere below 4k RPM, spark plugs show signs of running extremely lean. At the moment I'm worried the pilot jet circuit may be clogged because i've got my air/fuel mix screws backed wayyyy out. Going to keep troubleshooting though.
Yesterday I did the pickup coil mod and I've gotta say that might be the easiest mod with the most significant improvement I've done yet.
Welcome. These bikes are a lot of fun for their size, and more fun to make them your own. Unfortunately, there's not much for aftermarket parts available.
Did you re-jet the carbs for the filter pods? After the bike is fully warmed up, give it some choke (more understandable than 'give it some enrichment circuit') in the RPM range where it's been a problem. If it runs better, check for vacuum leaks before pulling the carbs.

More pics please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. These bikes are a lot of fun for their size, and more fun to make them your own. Unfortunately, there's not much for aftermarket parts available.
Did you re-jet the carbs for the filter pods? After the bike is fully warmed up, give it some choke (more understandable than 'give it some enrichment circuit') in the RPM range where it's been a problem. If it runs better, check for vacuum leaks before pulling the carbs.

More pics please.
Interesting... I did rejet after the shave, up to #42 on the pilot jets. It definitely runs better with the choke on in the problematic range. I'll go through the vacuum fittings tomorrow and make sure everything is as it should be. I know all the hoses are routed to the recommended spots but I could have left a leak somewhere and not known, it can't hurt to check.
More pics specifically of the carbs/ear shave? Or just overall? She's not the most photogenic right now but ill try and document as I go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome. Nice to hear another member from Maryland!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

The pilot jets would be the first place I would look, seems like that's the first spot to get dirty and it doesn't take much goo or much time.

Does it seem to explode with power when you get to the 4000 rpm area? When mine had just one clogged pilot, it behaved that way, except at lower rpm. And using the choke helped it, except for idling too high then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Sparky! I'm up in the Baltimore area, if there's ever a meetup up this way I'll see you there!

Welcome to the machine!

The pilot jets would be the first place I would look, seems like that's the first spot to get dirty and it doesn't take much goo or much time.

Does it seem to explode with power when you get to the 4000 rpm area? When mine had just one clogged pilot, it behaved that way, except at lower rpm. And using the choke helped it, except for idling too high then.
Ding ding! It was the pilot jets. I backflushed the carbs in the driveway as best as i could, vinegar washed the tank, drained all gas out and pumped it full of carb cleaner while in the problematic RPM range. To do this I disconnected the fuel lines from the tank, put them in a small bowl of carb cleaner/gas mix, started the bike and worked the throttle from 0-25 percent. the longer I went the better it seemed to get so I repeated the process once the bike was hot, and opened up to 50 percent or so. Basically what I was trying to do (and I think I accomplished?) was target the pilot jets specifically by forcing them to drink carb cleaner and keeping the throttle in the range where they would be providing the most fuel. Took the bike out yesterday after all of that and it runs like a top now.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has taken the time to document so much specific to our bikes, and to those who are still around sharing knowledge. I'd be up the creek without a paddle in sight if it wasnt for the forum.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts

Thanks Sparky! I'm up in the Baltimore area, if there's ever a meetup up this way I'll see you there!

Ding ding! It was the pilot jets. I backflushed the carbs in the driveway as best as i could, vinegar washed the tank, drained all gas out and pumped it full of carb cleaner while in the problematic RPM range. To do this I disconnected the fuel lines from the tank, put them in a small bowl of carb cleaner/gas mix, started the bike and worked the throttle from 0-25 percent. the longer I went the better it seemed to get so I repeated the process once the bike was hot, and opened up to 50 percent or so. Basically what I was trying to do (and I think I accomplished?) was target the pilot jets specifically by forcing them to drink carb cleaner and keeping the throttle in the range where they would be providing the most fuel. Took the bike out yesterday after all of that and it runs like a top now.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has taken the time to document so much specific to our bikes, and to those who are still around sharing knowledge. I'd be up the creek without a paddle in sight if it wasnt for the forum.
I cleaned mine a similar way once, but with a seafoam treated tank and while riding on a trip with some friends.

I'd slow down to the bogging point let it struggle a while, then pull the choke and speed up to catch the others.

In 50 miles it was running great again.

Another time the pilot had to be rodded through with wire and soaked in between rounds in the ultrasonic with vinegar.

It pays to either drain or treat the gas for storage, even just for a month or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts