Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! My name is Joey and I'm the proud new owner of a 1987 vn750. It's my first bike and I call her Rosie (ain't exactly pretty, ain't exactly small [points for getting reference lol]). The only real issue is that it needs a new front break master cylender. Will one from a 97 fit? Thanks in advance!

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Hey Joey. Welcome and congrats on your Rosie (the stator puts out "AC", the rectifier makes it "DC" :smiley_th)

You can use a master cylinder from any year but the round reservoir (newer) has a different brake lever than the square reservoir

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! Love a good AC/DC joke! Thanks a ton! This is a great forum and from what I can tell an awesome group of riders. I'm learning a ton and can't wait to have my bike fixed where I can learn safely. Have a great night!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Exactley as stated above, all will fit on bars and hook up but have differnt lever.
Welcome to the group.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Welcome Jsmoltz29!
Have fun here with all the "Vulcan Madness", we do :)

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
welcome! 87' bikes are the best lol

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
welcome to the group, the forum is slowing down a bit now as more of us are getting winterized but quite a few of us are here year round, come march and april its hard to keep up with all the posts here everyday and all thru the summer! update your profile in the user control panel with general location and such and remember, no such thing as a dumb question and all the answers are here!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

The rectangular master brake cylinders came on the bikes from the 1985 to 1990 models, and have a sort of "dog leg" shaped lever.

The models from 1991 and later have the round mc, and a flat lever.

But as mentioned by others, they are all interchangable as long as you have the right lever.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Welcome to the best Vulcan place on the net. Look into the spline lubing procedure. It's a must for all new 750 riders. Many have been neglected buy ignorant owners who had no clue!

no such thing as a dumb question
I disagree, I told a customer just yesterday that our shop would be closed for the holiday & won't be back till Monday. He then preceeded to ask "So you won't be open on the weekend?"

I kid you not, true story! lol :doh:

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Welcome to the best Vulcan place on the net. Look into the spline lubing procedure. It's a must for all new 750 riders. Many have been neglected buy ignorant owners who had no clue!

I disagree, I told a customer just yesterday that our shop would be closed for the holiday & won't be back till Monday. He then preceeded to ask "So you won't be open on the weekend?"

I kid you not, true story! lol :doh:
I had someone ask me "I can't get anything to come out of the printer cause it says "Add Toner". I said, "Do you not have any toner or not know how to put it in?" they said "Oh I have some, do you think if I put toner in that it would start working again?" "Well, I was just blindly guessing. Probably not actually, it says that anytime the outside temp is below 80*. We'll have to replace the motherboard and power supply instead." Here's you're sign.....:hitanykey

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Welcome. I would do the spline thing before dealing with the master cylinder. Not only will a master cylinder from any Vulcan 750 fit, but one from almost any Japanese bike made during the past 30+ years will also fit. But the spline lube/inspection is critical. These bikes have a tendency to eat splines if they are not lubed on a regular basis, and many people don't know about this. I never did any maintenance on shaft drives before getting the Vulcan, other than changing the final drive gear oil. I thought they were otherwise maintenance free, like on a car. And on some bikes they almost are. But not this one. If your splines are bad, you will need a new final drive and driveshaft. A new final drive costs $1000. You can get used ones a lot cheaper, but you never know for sure what you are getting. The supply of good used ones are starting to dry up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts