Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
actually, there IS a rev limiter, but it don't kick in until after the major engine components have self destructed.
That's like saying my guns safety only works if there's no ammo in the gun.

Perhaps what you mean is, when the engine destructs ...THAT'S the rev limiter...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
actually, there IS a rev limiter, but it don't kick in until after the major engine components have self destructed.
Hahahahahaha
That's like saying my guns safety only works if there's no ammo in the gun.

Perhaps what you mean is, when the engine destructs ...THAT'S the rev limiter...
Pretty sure that was Teddybears attempt at sarcasm. I thought it was funny.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I should change my 800 rev limit to 8700 and see if it blows up then lol
Hey Kenny!! is this why the 800 finally sheit the bed?
that freaking bike ran with bad knocking and smoke for a long time bro....or is it still going??
BTW...how's the new bike treating you?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
First of all, the Vulcan 750 is a 1985 design. Nothing has been changed since then. Mine has never seen 8500 rpm, and never will. I did do a couple of top speed runs, in fifth gear. The best I could get was 109+ mph, nowhere near redline. It will not pull redline in fifth gear. My guess is that back then (1985) Kawasaki just assumed that a qualified rider would know better than to rev it that high. It IS clearly marked on the tach. But, revving it that high in neutral would grenade the engine in a heartbeat. I've never had mine above 3000 rpm in neutral, and that was just for a few seconds, to check charging. Back in the mid '80s, even the Japanese mostly built motorcycles for people who supposedly knew how to ride them. No rev limiter, no gear position indicator, no fuel injection, and best of all, no ABS, IMO the worst thing to ever happen to motorcycles. I am a bit perplexed by the clutch and sidestand nanny switches. I wonder if they go all the way back to 1985. Not that it really matters, they were easy enough to remove. I do remember Yamaha using a low oil LEVEL indicator back in the mid '80s. I guess they assumed that the owner/rider was not capable of checking their own oil.

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
" no gear position indicator, no fuel injection, and best of all, no ABS, IMO the worst thing to ever happen to motorcycles."

Jerry shaking his cane and yelling at the kids to get off his lawn. His only experience with ABS is from old model four wheelers ....as he admitted he's never ridden a modern bike with ABS.
There's hundreds of facts and testimonials pointing out that ABS might be the BEST thing to ever happen to motorcycles ...which after owning a bike that had it..I would have to agree.
As much as I share his disdain for "product liability" safety systems like kickstand switches and clutch position switches, I have to draw the line at ABS systems, and for that matter, traction control systems...which play no part in the everyday use an experienced rider deals with.

These are benign systems that only come into play under extreme circumstances, the electronic equivalent to a bullet proof vest...it has no real impact on your life until some one shoots you. Then you thank god you had it on.
So, sorry, saying ABS is the worst thing to ever happen to motorcycles is, In My Opinion, ;) the silliest thing I've ever read at a motorcycle forum.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
If a vn750 won't pull 8500 rpm in fifth,there is something wrong with it,as many here will agree

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yep. ABS and EFI are huge technological improvements for motorcycles. ABS isn't a replacement for practicing good braking technique, but nobody is perfect and it sits in the background until you truly need it. EFI creates instant starts, improvements in emissions and fuel economy, and responds far better than carburetors to sitting for a few months at a time like many motorcycles do.

I strongly dislike the style evolution of cruisers over the last 30 years (trading function for form). Doesn't bother me a bit to spin up an engine to get some extra power, and I don't need a huge wheelbase, leaned back riding position, etc. However, I won't complain a bit if you gave me the modern technology from underneath.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
" no gear position indicator, no fuel injection, and best of all, no ABS, IMO the worst thing to ever happen to motorcycles."

Jerry shaking his cane and yelling at the kids to get off his lawn. His only experience with ABS is from old model four wheelers ....as he admitted he's never ridden a modern bike with ABS.
There's hundreds of facts and testimonials pointing out that ABS might be the BEST thing to ever happen to motorcycles ...which after owning a bike that had it..I would have to agree.
As much as I share his disdain for "product liability" safety systems like kickstand switches and clutch position switches, I have to draw the line at ABS systems, and for that matter, traction control systems...which play no part in the everyday use an experienced rider deals with.

These are benign systems that only come into play under extreme circumstances, the electronic equivalent to a bullet proof vest...it has no real impact on your life until some one shoots you. Then you thank god you had it on.
So, sorry, saying ABS is the worst thing to ever happen to motorcycles is, In My Opinion, ;) the silliest thing I've ever read at a motorcycle forum.
When ya only have one brake caliper up front ya don't need abs ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, intentionally crippling your brakes might be taking 'bad idea' to a whole new level.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
FASTEST. BIKE. EVER

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Yeah, intentionally crippling your brakes might be taking 'bad idea' to a whole new level.
Uh, if it was such a bad idea, how come it has worked perfectly for the last 60,000+ miles? I really didn't know what to expect when I did it. I noticed an immediate improvement in brake feel. I tested it extensively in an area with no traffic, and it performed perfectly at the limit, over and over again. I decided it was safe to ride in traffic, but still didn't know whether disc or pad wear would be an issue. It wasn't. I still have the original disc, with only normal wear, and if the bike lasts that long, I have a near new disc to replace it with.

MANY people have a real problem with putting a car tire on a motorcycle. It's one of the biggest ongoing arguments on Goldwing forums. It sounds like a bad idea to me. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it, because it has been well proven over a few million miles on many different bikes by many different riders. But somebody had to do it first. And even though it has been proven safe, a lot of people still claim otherwise.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
Uh, if it was such a bad idea, how come it has worked perfectly for the last 60,000+ miles? I really didn't know what to expect when I did it. I noticed an immediate improvement in brake feel. I tested it extensively in an area with no traffic, and it performed perfectly at the limit, over and over again. I decided it was safe to ride in traffic, but still didn't know whether disc or pad wear would be an issue. It wasn't. I still have the original disc, with only normal wear, and if the bike lasts that long, I have a near new disc to replace it with.

MANY people have a real problem with putting a car tire on a motorcycle. It's one of the biggest ongoing arguments on Goldwing forums. It sounds like a bad idea to me. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it, because it has been well proven over a few million miles on many different bikes by many different riders. But somebody had to do it first. And even though it has been proven safe, a lot of people still claim otherwise.
Maybe Jesus loves you;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Half the people that play Russian Roulette live through it. Doesn't make it any less stupid, and they're only risking their own lives. You're going out on the same street as other people with equipment that you have intentionally made unsafe, and are one more reason the public has a negative perspective on motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
I don't think Jerry has made his bike "unsafe" by removing one of the front brakes. All he's done is lost total breaking power....which on a Vulcan likely isn't much of a loss.
If it were a race bike, yeah, be a bad a idea. The only reason I mentioned it in my post was he did this because the duel brakes "were too powerful for him" and made it "too easy to lock the wheel".....yet he said ABS was the worst thing to happen to bikes...of which their sole purpose is preventing the wheels from locking. Kinda a contradiction in practice there...lol

Others here have bypassed other "safety" systems on their bike....not going to argue one way or another, just going to say it's their bike and they can do what they want to it, and they don't need negative feedback over it.

Remember when bikes had drum brakes in front? They were fairly useless..
Ever see a custom bike that had no brakes on the front wheel? Sure, and you said it was cool looking... ;)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts