Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Proud Owner of '99 VN 750
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My redline on my vn750 is at 55 mph. New my bike's speedo is 10% off from my actual speed. I'm panning a 7 hour ride soon and I know the limits are posted to 70 and such speeds higher then 55. Is it detrimental to go 70 or should I stick as close as I can to my redline speed? I don't push limits with this bike in order to maintain its longevity. I use rotella t6 and change my oil every 2.5k miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
My redline on my vn750 is at 55 mph. New my bike's speedo is 10% off from my actual speed. I'm panning a 7 hour ride soon and I know the limits are posted to 70 and such speeds higher then 55. Is it detrimental to go 70 or should I stick as close as I can to my redline speed? I don't push limits with this bike in order to maintain its longevity. I use rotella t6 and change my oil every 2.5k miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Something's wrong with your bike. Red line speed should be about 120 mph.
At 55 mph you should be turning around 4800 RPMs.
Red line is like 8,000 RPMs.

Did you try shifting into fifth gear?

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Are you talking about the red mark on the speedometer??? That's for when the national speed limit was 55 and in no way is designed to limit the engine's speed. Your tach's redline is 8500 and you can cruise all day long at 5500+ rpm safely and take it up to 8500 for short bursts of fun. Many of us ride with the speedo over 75 for extended periods.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Agree, you must be refering to the 55mph line not the tach redline. You are correct that the speedometer is a few miles per hour off. If you get the larger tires at some point, that makes the speedometer almost exact.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yes totally safe. I rode my bike every day for 25 miles each way to work doing between 60-75 mph for close to 16,000 miles. And just this evening had it up to 105 with plenty of RPMs to go (just ran out of straight road). ;)

In fact, my bike, with the oversized front tire, runs 70 mph at about 4700 RPMs. Plenty safe for riding all day long. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Yes totally safe. I rode my bike every day for 25 miles each way to work doing between 60-75 mph for close to 16,000 miles. And just this evening had it up to 105 with plenty of RPMs to go (just ran out of straight road). ;)

In fact, my bike, with the oversized front tire, runs 70 mph at about 4700 RPMs. Plenty safe for riding all day long. :smiley_th
You're doing better than me. My oversize tires corrected the speedometer ( same as my GPS shows). At 60 mph I'm doing 4200 rpms, at 70 I'm doing 5000 rpms. The bike will run all day at 5000 rpms with no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
My tach showed exactly 4000 rpm at an indicated 60 mph. This is where It got it's best gas mileage. I usually ran it at an indicated 80 mph on AZ freeways, where the speed limit was 75 mph. That put it at an actual 75.9 mph. It was nowhere near redline. The 55 thing on the speedometer was left over from the mid '80s. Kawasaki just never changed it.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
When I had my VN750 I never even noticed the red line on our speedometers, only the one on the tach. What does that tell ya? LOL!!

I've been at 80 on the highway around 6500, 7k rpms for about an hour - in fifth of course. You're fine, she can handle it. :motorcycl

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
sort of related, has anybody just revved the crap out of their 750 to see where it governs at?

my 800 limits at 8000, well it used to, now I put a computer in there to make that 8250 lol

kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
So even on new ones? How does Kawasaki stop people from blowing them up? Or do they just natrually limit somehow?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I don't think I have ever owned a m/c with a rev limiter. Are you sure yours has/had one?
I've never seen a motorcycle newer than 95 without one lol

I'm sure. It is an electronically controlled rev limiter.

I can fire it up and record it if ya like.
Kenny

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle newer than 95 without one lol

I'm sure. It is an electronically controlled rev limiter.

I can fire it up and record it if ya like.
Kenny
There is no need. I do not know and you say you do, it is settled at that point.

I did a short google. The only one talking about a rev limiter on this bike is you. OEM ET is 14.91? Egad.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'm just asking cause my 800 has one for sure. I'm surprised the 750 does not. So what happens when you twist it in neutral?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I'm just asking cause my 800 has one for sure. I'm surprised the 750 does not. So what happens when you twist it in neutral?
BOOM!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I should change my 800 rev limit to 8700 and see if it blows up then lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts